Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone going to see Superman Returns?

Anyone going to see Superman Returns? (Page 2)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 27, 2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Another example is the remaking of Titanic which will probably be a huge success because they got Dicaprio back. But Cameron wanted nothing to do with it. He holds the stance that some movies should never have sequels or remakes.
ZOMG that's hilarious.

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
In all seriousness, I have a friend who is an Italian director and she says that the movie was partially shot over there in and around Italy and Turkey and that the rumor that it's fake is being floated because someone pirated some of the footage illegally and put it on the internet. So, I guess part of it might be actual footage and part of it is patchwork. She insists it was/is remade.
It's even more funny that your director friend believes it too.

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
I dunno I thought Titanic was pretty good. And I HATE any love story ****.
I though Titanic was at best quite mediocre, worth maybe a rental. YMMV though. I just hated the dialogue (and I'm not a fan of Leonardo di Caprio either).

Originally Posted by paul w
I dunno, I thought King Kong was pretty darn entertaining.
Yeah, I also thought it was worth the price of admission, although it's definitely not one of my faves.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 27, 2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
So, why after all these years and advances in technology does Superman STILL look like he is wearing tights?
Because the director is gay.

"Hello, what have we here?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2006, 01:52 PM

Scarlett Johannsen as Ann Darrow would have been much better than Naomi Watts. Much.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 27, 2006, 01:58 PM

I like Scarlett Johannson. When I first saw her in Ghost World I thought she'd go far. However, I think Naomi Watts did a very good job in King Kong, and I'm not convinced Johannson would have done any better.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 12:53 AM

Ok, it was awesome.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 04:22 AM

Just got back from the movie theater. It was good to see that I wasn't the only one wearing a superman t-shirt. About half the audience was too. The beginning credits was cool. Just like the original STM but updated with lots of stuff flying at you. The crowd went nuts when the big S shield appeared on the screen. I can't wait to see it in IMAX 3D this weekend. It's 1am and I'm too tired to post a review right now so I'll just quote what Starman said.
"Ok, it was awesome."

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 05:17 AM

Just got back from Superman Returns. I enjoyed it. I'm not onboard with all the people saying it's the best superhero movie ever, but I definitely recommend it.

By the way, am I the only one who thought Lois stole the show? I don't know if the character was just written that way or Kate Bosworth has some heretofore unseen acting chops, but I found her plot way more interesting than Lex Luthor's Evil Real Estate Scheme.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2006, 05:37 AM

Come on guys, we need some better reviews than those!!!

I'm going to see it this Sunday - in no less than IMAX 3D....
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 05:53 AM

Better as in more positive or more detailed?
Chuck
___

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2006, 07:24 AM

I guess I was looking for a more detailed breakdown, (without spoilers of course), maybe you could expand upon your initial impressions.

ie. How does it compare to the other Superman movies?
How was Routh's performance as Kent/Superman?
How were the effects/action sequences?
iMac G4 15" 800/512MB/60GB
iMac G5 20" 1.8/768MB/160GB
Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66/2GB/80GB
Mac Pro 2.66/X1900/3GB/3TB /Apple 23" Cinema HD Display

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 08:13 AM

Just see it.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Just got back from Superman Returns. I enjoyed it. I'm not onboard with all the people saying it's the best superhero movie ever, but I definitely recommend it.
How can anything be better than batman begins?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:13 PM

Ok, I just got back from Superman returns.

The Good: Everyone looked great. Routh is an excellent Superman. Sometimes, he even sounds like Reeve. It's creepy. The costume: great, especially the darker magenta cape.

More Good: the "surprise" twist is pulled off without seeming too hokey. The love story was good without being hokey. The dialogue is "comic-y" without being hokey. Overall, the movie lacks the hokey-ness that kills most superhero movies.

The Bad: Both the beginning and ending of the movie really drag. It was kinda like A.I. towards the ending: you know the movie's got to end sometime, but it's taking forever to happen. Most of the scenes were too long, so they kinda felt dragged out; especially the plane rescue scene. Someone said they really liked the opening titles; I thought they were dull. Overall, the movie lacks the "pacing" of an action flick.

More Bad: In too many ways, Luthor's evil plot is too similar to the first movie. And it seems Luthor needs to get over those girlfriends with weak willpower and find himself an appropriate bad girl who doesn't fsck everything up. And: James Marsden is just as boring in this movies as in the X movies.

A Little More Bad: there isn't much chemistry between Routh and Bosworth. Maybe that's on purpose, since if there were more, we'd feel like Marsden's character was getting screwed over by our hero.

The Ugly: So, Superman is powerless when he stands on top of kryptonite, but he's capable of moving a mountain-sized ball of it when he's underneath it? Okaaaayyyy....

Recommended: certainly. Best superhero movie ever: no, the Incredibles was still better.

Okay, okay. Best live-action superhero movie ever? I'm not sure. I mean, there wasn't anything really new about this movie.

Great flying scenes? Sorry, Matrix Reloaded was better.
Great action scenes? Sorry, X2 and Hulk were better.
Great story? Good enough, but it wasn't Revenge of the Sith.
Great villain? Really, I was hoping for more, but it was good enough. Magneto was better.
Great comedy? Actually, almost every joke falls flat on its ***. Even Daredevil was funnier.
Lotsa hokey? Very little, in fact. Even your jaded girlfriend would enjoy this movie.

Superman Returns: 3 outta 4.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jun 28, 2006 at 08:42 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 08:23 PM

Saw it a second time. Loved it. I'm tired of all these bullsh*t jaded reviews.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:41 PM

You're not calling my review jaded, are you?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2006, 08:51 PM

I am

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 08:54 PM

Why? I liked the movie.

Observing that the movie kinda dragged, lacked humor, and didn't break new ground isn't jaded.

I thought the movie was good, just not 4 outta 4 good.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2006, 09:34 PM

Why the 4 star-max? Why not 5 stars?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna
A Little More Bad: there isn't much chemistry between Routh and Bosworth.

Cuz he's gay.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 29, 2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Why the 4 star-max? Why not 5 stars?
Why 5? why not 11?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2006, 12:15 AM

Holy crap, it's a battle of the Rail-people!
Chuck
___

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 12:22 AM

I just wanted to say that I couldn't disagree more with lpkmckenna's review. So there!

I thought the movie provided plenty of humor. Jimmy Olsen alone had me laughing out loud almost every scene he was in. I loved the response Lois gave to Perry White after he told her to cover the Superman story. "Chief, I've already done Superman." Then boom... a quick shot of Clark & Jimmy trying their hardest to hold in their laughter.

I thought the chemistry between Superman & Lois Lane was really good. Much stronger than what Spiderman had for Mary Jane or what Batman had for Katie Holmes (See, I even don't remember her character's name. That's some chemistry!).

What about the action and flying scenes you say? Well, I thought Superman Returns did a better job than both the Matrix Reloaded and The Hulk combined. Superman catching a falling crane worker looked better than Neo catching Trinity. I had more fun watching Superman save Metropolis from the New Krypton shock wave than I did watching the Hulk battle the U.S. army.

I do agree with lpkmckenna on one thing and that's the pacing of the film. It seemed to be a bit off. You can tell that a lot of footage was cut out in the beginning. There was maybe 10 minutes of Clark on the farm in Smallville. That's a shame because I was hoping they would have more flashback sequences of Clark as a kid. The ending did seem to drag on a bit but is was nowhere near as bad as AI. I would have done the hospital scene a little different. They never showed how Superman recovered from his injuries. For a moment there I hoping the kid would open the blinds and let the sunlight in. Everyone knows Superman gets his powers from the sun. Would it have killed someone to leave the window open?

Besides those two minor gripes, I thought this was an excellent film. I would place it on my Top 5 List for comic book movies. I don't know exactly what number I would give it, I'm gonna need to see it a few more times.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Jun 29, 2006 at 12:33 AM. )

Railroader
Banned
Jun 29, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Holy crap, it's a battle of the Rail-people!
Hey, he was here first!

Railhead and I usually get along nicely. I was just using any excuse to get a Spinal Tap reference in.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
I thought the movie provided plenty of humor. Jimmy Olsen alone had me laughing out loud almost every scene he was in. I loved the response Lois gave to Perry White after he told her to cover the Superman story. "Chief, I've already done Superman." Then boom... a quick shot of Clark & Jimmy trying their hardest to hold in their laughter.
Maybe I smirked at that line. But too many other thoughts were going through my head at that line. Lois doesn't remember "doing" Superman, so wouldn't she defend her virtue at such a slight? Why didn't she tell Olsen to stuff it? That's what the "real" Lois Lane would have done.

What's this for a lame joke: "How many f's are there in 'catastrophe'?"

Humor is a pretty individual thing. All I can say is: the audience was pretty quiet when I saw it.
Chemistry ... much stronger than what Spiderman had for Mary Jane or what Batman had for Katie Holmes (See, I even don't remember her character's name. That's some chemistry!).
No argument there.

I would place it on my Top 5 List for comic book movies.
Me too. But I've never given more than 3 outta 4 for any comic movie - except the Incredibles.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jun 29, 2006 at 04:42 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2006, 08:09 AM

Maybe I smirked at that line. But too many other thoughts were going through my head at that line. Lois doesn't remember "doing" Superman, so wouldn't she defend her virtue at such a slight? Why didn't she tell Olsen to stuff it? That's what the "real" Lois Lane would have done.

What's this for a lame joke: "How many f's are there in 'catastrophe'?"

Humor is a pretty individual thing. All I can say is: the audience was pretty quiet when I saw it.

No argument there.

Me too. But I've never given more than 3 outta 4 for any comic movie - except the Incredibles.
Not even the first Superman movie?

As for Lois' spelling, apparently you don't remember much of the first film.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Hey, he was here first!

Railhead and I usually get along nicely. I was just using any excuse to get a Spinal Tap reference in.
This thread could be none more black.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

jaydon34
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 10:39 AM

saw it tuesday. It was good but dragged toward the end.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 29, 2006, 11:01 AM

I thought Superman Returns was great. I watched it at Imax, and really didn't like the 3D scenes. They work great in the animated movies, but I felt that it made the movie look smaller, if that makes any sense. Imax does have an amazing sound system!

My only complaint with the movie is Lois. I didn't feel that Kate Bosworth was the right person for this role. If this was a stand alone movie, like Batman Begins, she would have been great, but comparing this to the previous movies, as it is supposed to be sequel, I don't think she pulled it off.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 11:31 AM

I haven't see it yet but my problem with it is that it looks too much like the first one. I don't want a remake, I'd rather have a re-inventing like they did with Batman begins.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 11:56 AM

I watched it last night with my wife at the IMAX3D.
We both really enjoyed it.

Spoilers, select from here:
I'm not going to get into a big review, but I liked pretty much everything except for Lex's real estate venture. I wasn't too excited about that. I liked the part when he found the Fortress of Solitude and told Jor'el (spell?) "tell me everything." I would've liked it if they played upon that a little more. Maybe hatching an evil scheme from the knowledge he learnt, or something like that.

When Lois was on the roof having a cigarette and she said "you left us." That made me think that the child was Clark's, but when they never said another thing about the (super)child the piano scene, so I figured he wasn't.

Question: Is the child immune to kryptonite? I got the impression that it wasn't doing anything to him. He looked scared of Lex and and the Kryptonite, but I didn't get the impression that he was getting sick from it. A co-worker feels the opposite. He feels that the kid was getting sick from it.

[stop selecting]

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Not even the first Superman movie?
The first movie had a lot going for it - until Superman does the absolutely preposterous and turns back time.
As for Lois' spelling, apparently you don't remember much of the first film.
Oh, I remember. It just wasn't funny.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 12:04 PM

The first movie had a lot going for it - until Superman does the absolutely preposterous and turns back time.
You belong here:
http://intuitor.com/moviephysics/

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Strangely enough, Superman the Movie isn't listed at that site, even though the "physics" is worse than any of the provided examples.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2006, 12:53 PM

And tell me why he can't.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 12:55 PM

Strangely enough, Superman the Movie isn't listed at that site, even though the "physics" is worse than any of the provided examples.
I suppose it's because it's fairly new. I enjoyed reading some of those articles, like the one about how you can't light gasoline with fire. Kinda like mythbusters.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 12:56 PM

And tell me why he can't.
Even the director was laughing at that part. He said everyone on earth would fall off when it stopped spinning.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2006, 01:04 PM

Even the director was laughing at that part. He said everyone on earth would fall off when it stopped spinning.
Uh.......

Wrong. He was going faster than the speed of light around the earth, meaning he was moving TIME backwards, not actually moving the Earth backwards.

Donner doesn't know dick about the science FICTION of time travel.

You might as well say "Back to the Future" is bullsh*t since the DeLorean doesn't compensate for the Earth's rotation around the sun.

Right?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 01:08 PM

Uh.......

Wrong. He was going faster than the speed of light around the earth, meaning he was moving TIME backwards, not actually moving the Earth backwards.

You might as well say "Back to the Future" is bullsh*t since the DeLorean doesn't compensate for the Earth's rotation around the sun.

Right?
Is this really something worth arguing about? We should be discussing more important matters like who would win in Superman vs. Batman

Railroader
Banned
Jun 29, 2006, 01:20 PM

Ditka.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 01:31 PM

Batman can kick Supe's leotard butt any day, and we all know it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2006, 01:40 PM

Is this really something worth arguing about? We should be discussing more important matters like who would win in Superman vs. Batman
If it's not, why did you bring it up?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 01:43 PM

Uh.......

Right?
The point is: it was fairly preposterous, and besides: traveling thru time isn't one of Superman's established powers.

Superman II was worse, of course. The "teleporting" stuff, the throwing of the big S like a giant wad of sticky tape.

The best thing about Superman Returns: Singer keeps Superman's powers within the expected range of powers.

If you saw Wolverine fly, wouldn't you roll your eyes?

-----

BTW (spoilers; highlight to read)
If Jason was conceived during Superman II: should he have any powers? Remember, Superman had to be stripped of his powers in order to "live as a human." Hmm....
(end spoilers]

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 01:46 PM

That's because Superman gave Batman some kryptonite, just in case Batman had to stop an out-of-control Superman.

Otherwise: Batman's a piker. He should stick to solving bank robberies and let Superman handle the real supervillains.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2006, 01:48 PM

The point is: it was fairly preposterous, and besides: traveling thru time isn't one of Superman's established powers.

Superman II was worse, of course. The "teleporting" stuff, the throwing of the big S like a giant wad of sticky tape.

The best thing about Superman Returns: Singer keeps Superman's powers within the expected range of powers.

-----

BTW (spoilers; highlight to read)
If Jason was conceived during Superman II: should he have any powers? Remember, Superman had to be stripped of his powers in order to "live as a human." Hmm....
(end spoilers]
Well, you tell me - what ARE his established powers? Considering the fact that he didn't fly or have X-Ray vision until the FIFTIES, you explain what his powers are.

Remember, he only LEPT from building to building in the early days. Superman evolves. I figured any REAL fan would have known that.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 01:49 PM

Not to go comic-nerd, but that's always been my problem with the Superman books: the villains are so stupid. I've always tried to get into the Supe comics, but I never can. Batman is more "believable," but I think DC falls short when compared to Marvel for villains.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 29, 2006, 01:54 PM

Just wait till X-Men IV

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 01:55 PM

If it's not, why did you bring it up?
Cuz it is funny and shows how stupid it is to argue over something like this.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 02:15 PM

All Superman has to do is keep a safe distance from Batman's Kryptonite. From there he can toss cars, goats, buildings or whatever else he wants at him. And don't forget the heat vision. Supes could kill Batman just by looking at him! Nuff said.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 02:17 PM

You guys didn't read the comic much, did you?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 02:18 PM

Well, you tell me - what ARE his established powers? Considering the fact that he didn't fly or have X-Ray vision until the FIFTIES, you explain what his powers are.

Remember, he only LEPT from building to building in the early days. Superman evolves. I figured any REAL fan would have known that.
ALL comic book heroes take time for the "concept" to firmly establish. I figured any REAL fan of comic books would know that.

Actually, he started flying in the 40s. That's the time period that Superman's powers were more-or-less established. The more writers deviate from that era, the less it feels like Superman.

Forum Links
Forum Rules