Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Mods, please help me to recover old username

Mods, please help me to recover old username
Tiresias
May 5, 2009, 07:25 AM

I have been posting here for several years under numerous usernames, including:

Homo Loquens
Tiresias
I, Tiresias
toothpick_charlie
Minty

About a year ago (I think) I registered an account using my real name. Then a bunch of stuff came up, and to avoid wasting time on-line, I intentionally changed all my forum passwords to random number strings—something I have done more than once.

All I want to do is reactivate my real name account. I can tell you what that is, which matches my gmail address, and whatever other personal details it may contain. However, I think I may also have changed my email address for that account to a random number string.

The long and the short of it is I would like to PM with a mod about this, but am not sure who is authorized to help. Please PM me if you are able to.

Thanks.

—Tiresias.

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 07:25 AM

Oddly, my Homo Loquens account has just reverted back to a zero post count and my sig has gone. Weird.

Railroader
Banned
May 5, 2009, 07:48 AM

I thought multiple accounts were against the rules? Can a mod clear this rule up?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 08:14 AM

Well, that's kind of dumb of you. You should have asked the mods to put you on a voluntary temp ban.

But with the way you re-register with new nicks, I don't think anything can really help you...

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I thought multiple accounts were against the rules? Can a mod clear this rule up?
There is no consistent ruling, despite me and others asking for it.
Basically, the mods decide on the fly / on a whim.

-t

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 08:35 AM

given your propensity to create new accounts, why bother resurrecting an old one, you'll only grow tired of that and create a new one.

As for the post counts - do people really still look at them?

The disappearance of your sig, is not on 'NN but rather you, since signatures (at least images) point to an external server.
~Mike

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 09:51 AM

Ok. How about if a mod helps me recover the username, and then deletes the rest?

And I had no idea multiple usenames incurred the displeasure of the honorable moderating authorities.

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, that's kind of dumb of you. You should have asked the mods to put you on a voluntary temp ban.
-t
I didn't know you could ask to be banned. Drat.

But with the way you re-register with new nicks, I don't think anything can really help you...
Really? This is over a number of years, and also, it's not like I've been doing it to make trouble. It was just a stupid time-management device.

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 10:07 AM

Mods: Sorry to do the double-shuffle with these two accounts, but I've been checking my PMs.

Could you please PM this account about this?

Thanks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2009, 10:15 AM

toothpick_charlie = Tiresias?

I had not guessed that one.

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 10:21 AM

Why so surprised?

OreoCookie
May 5, 2009, 10:38 AM

Please pm an admin about it, mods do not have sufficient privileges to reset passwords.

Regarding multiple user names: it's not against the rules per se to have multiple concurrent nicks if (1) it's clear they're one and the same person and (2) they're not used to evade bans.

And yes, we also hand out (temp-)bans on request, including for specific forums (some members prefer to be banned from the PL rather than to run the risk of getting involved in the threads there).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks OreoCookie. I just PMed ghporter.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by toothpick_charlie View Post
Why so surprised?
Dunno. Just seem like two wholly different people and writing styles. I always saw Tiresias as American but toothpick_charlie as British.

Tiresias  (op)
May 5, 2009, 11:33 AM

I'm neither.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Regarding multiple user names: it's not against the rules per se to have multiple concurrent nicks if (1) it's clear they're one and...
So where is this official list stating which user names belong to the same person?

OreoCookie
May 5, 2009, 01:15 PM

Official list? There isn't one. But in most cases, it is obvious (Tiresias and I, Tiresias, or the various incarnations of Rickey or Dakar, for instance).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 01:35 PM

Unless they start examining IP addresses they don't know who has multiple accounts (nor do they care I suspect )
~Mike

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 01:36 PM

Uh, that's precisely what they do. The mods know who's who.

OreoCookie
May 5, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Unless they start examining IP addresses they don't know who has multiple accounts (nor do they care I suspect )
What I meant to say was: we do not keep a public official list

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 03:14 PM

So if on one hand it has to be clear, but OTOH there's no official list... How exactly is anything clear? And to who exactly does it have to be clear? Is there a real procedure here or is this just being handled on a whim (as turtle put it)?

Logging in to a company server half way around the globe to get a different IP in a different IP range isn't exactly rocket science.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Logging in to a company server half way around the globe to get a different IP in a different IP range isn't exactly rocket science.
But that’s not really relevant to the issue. Logging in to a company server half way around the globe to get a different IP in a different IP range would be no more difficult if it were clearly and unambiguously against the rules to have any double nicks.

I don’t see the issue with double nicks, as long as it’s not done with the intention to decieve and/or evade bans. And in those cases, if the ‘culprit’ really wants to avoid detection, he probably will. In all the other cases where people have multiple nicks and don’t make any secrets or fuss about it (Rickey, Dakar, SWG, turtle, Lam, etc.), I can’t see what harm it does or why it should be against the rules …

OreoCookie
May 5, 2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So if on one hand it has to be clear, but OTOH there's no official list... How exactly is anything clear?
Huh? I don't see how one has anything to do with the other? As long as the rules regarding multiple nicks are clear (see my two rules above), there is no need for a public list. Perhaps it's not clear to noobs who is who and that there is only one persona behind two or more nicks. But these noobs wouldn't be interested in reading The (not so) Secret Guide to Multiple Handles of MacNN before entering discussions here, now would they?
I don't want to delve into the history of MacNN (because I wasn't involved in the story turtle alluded to and because its off-topic), but I cannot recall that we've had a lot of problems in that regard apart from ban evasion.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 05:20 PM

So if on one hand it has to be clear, but OTOH there's no official list... How exactly is anything clear? And to who exactly does it have to be clear? Is there a real procedure here or is this just being handled on a whim (as turtle put it)?
Does anybody really care?

It seems perfectly obvious that double nicks used to game the system or cause a nuisance are a problem, and everything else is not.

I see no indication that the issue has ever been handled differently.

You want a hard-and-fast rulebook? (how German )

That needs a very clear definition of exactly which situations constitute a "nuisance" or a "problem", and which don't. I really, really wouldn't go there, unless you're begging for some sort of draconian regime...I'd rather just continue to leave it to the discretion of the mods, who by and large are somewhat less fools than many of the regular users.

Railroader
Banned
May 5, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
. I really, really wouldn't go there, unless you're begging for some sort of draconian regime...I'd rather just continue to leave it to the discretion of the mods, who by and large are somewhat less fools than many of the regular users*.
This needed to be bolded and billboard sized.

*me

cwkmacuser
Senior User
May 5, 2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
. But these noobs wouldn't be interested in reading The (not so) Secret Guide to Multiple Handles of MacNN before entering discussions here, now would they?
Where can such a thing be found?
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2009, 09:43 PM

Oh no. Not again...

The staff has discretion to evaluate each and every situation on a per-case basis. There are few "hard and fast" rules about user names-though we have been known to contact new members and tell them that we're changing their selected name because it was <obscene/unprintable (both in the obscene sense and that it was formed with non-printable characters/somehow played on an existing user name/etc.>. We ban spammers on sight (that's not as much a rule as recreation ).

But note what Oreo Cookie said above about our "rules of thumb" for multiple accounts. We had one member who had a number of different accounts at one point based on where he happened to be logging in from-and that was NOT a problem. We have had a member who repeatedly registered new accounts in order to evade bans of various types-and that WAS a problem.

So the "clear definition of exactly which situations constitute a "nuisance" or a "problem", and which don't" sought above comes down to "Does the user cause trouble, evade responsibility or bans, or otherwise cause problems in attributing posts?" If the answer is no, then that user is probably just fine. If the answer is yes, then we on staff will devise a solution that will most likely result in the banning of at least most of the multiple accounts.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias  (op)
May 6, 2009, 01:29 AM

O, lambent flames! O, force divine! O, administrative powers, hail!

Tiresias  (op)
May 6, 2009, 01:43 AM

Just out of humble curiosity, how long will I be made to wear the Scarlet Letter of Alias Whore.

<-------------

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Just out of humble curiosity, how long will I be made to wear the Scarlet Letter of Alias Whore.

<-------------

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2009, 05:22 AM

<-------------
Scarlet letter? Dude—you have the only multi-line member status thingy on the forum. Rejoice in your uniqueness!

Tiresias  (op)
May 6, 2009, 06:30 AM

It is starting to grow on me.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 09:10 AM

Sometimes, I need a subtle reminder why I love this place. This thread is it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 6, 2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Sometimes, I need a subtle reminder why I love this place. This thread is it.
It's not this thread?

cwk MacBook
Baninated
May 6, 2009, 09:38 AM

Alias Addict
- I, Tiresias
- toothpick_charlie
- Mr. Gogarty
- minty
- Homo Loquens

What's all that? Some joke by the mods?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 09:39 AM

A new account? Hoping to get the same treatment?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's not this thread?
Much like my illegitimate children, I will neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of the existence of that thread.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 6, 2009, 01:07 PM

But he's an experience Mac user! He's been using them for all 13 years of his life!

cwk MacBook
Baninated
May 6, 2009, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=OreoCookie;3835369]Huh? I don't see how one has anything to do with the other? As long as the rules regarding multiple nicks are clear (see my two rules above), there is no need for a public list. Perhaps it's not clear to noobs who is who and that there is only one persona behind two or more nicks. But these noobs wouldn't be interested in reading The (not so) Secret Guide to Multiple Handles of MacNN before entering discussions here, now would they?

OreoCookie stated the rules. I figured there is no harm in doing it. Yes, I know some people have problems with the "Multiple Nicks Rules" but come on, what harm could it do.

cwkmacuser
Senior User
May 6, 2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
But he's an experience Mac user! He's been using them for all 13 years of his life!
Uh...not that long! But a few years! I'd call that experience!
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Railroader
Banned
May 6, 2009, 08:55 PM

Wow! I need another exclamation mark! And another!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cwk MacBook (the new one)
OreoCookie stated the rules. I figured there is no harm in doing it. Yes, I know some people have problems with the "Multiple Nicks Rules" but come on, what harm could it do.
Harm, none. But conversely, what was the point? Adding a space, changing “macuser” to “MacBook”, and switching two lines in the signature?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 02:58 AM

OMG, the hypocrisy! The post-whoring long time members are all cool when they boast about their seven nicks but the noob with a second noob account is now all of a sudden a problem? Puleaze.

[Disclaimer: I wanted to use more exclamation marks to please RR, but in the end I only managed to squeeze in one. Apologies in advance.]
( Last edited by Simon; May 7, 2009 at 04:39 AM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
OMG, the hypocrisy! The post-whoring long time members are all cool when they boast about their seven nicks but the noob with a second noob account is now all of a sudden a problem? Puleaze.
Since I’m basically the only one thus far who’s really commented on cwk’s new user name, I can only assume this was directed at me … but, erm, huh? I didn’t say it was a problem, I just wondered why he bothered to register a new nick so similar to the old one. And I don’t have any others than this one, myself.

Unless you were talking about Tiresias? ’Cause he’s not a noob, he’s been here longer than I have. (I’m not a noob, am I?)

Edit: Oh, drats! Forgot to add exclamation marks!! Must fix in edit!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 04:34 AM

Actually it wasn't directed at you! But the fact that you didn't use any exclamation marks really offends me! So there!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 10:22 AM

<-------------
Awesome

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 11:01 AM

[Disclaimer: I wanted to use more exclamation marks to please RR, but in the end I only managed to squeeze in one. Apologies in advance.]
The hypocrisy! The guy who always complains about off-topic drama on MacNN participates in and creates it!

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Since I’m basically the only one thus far who’s really commented on cwk’s new user name, I can only assume this was directed at me … but, erm, huh? I didn’t say it was a problem, I just wondered why he bothered to register a new nick so similar to the old one. And I don’t have any others than this one, myself.

Unless you were talking about Tiresias? ’Cause he’s not a noob, he’s been here longer than I have. (I’m not a noob, am I?)

Edit: Oh, drats! Forgot to add exclamation marks!! Must fix in edit!!!
I think he was referring to Dakar and me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andi*pandi
May 7, 2009, 12:04 PM

This looks like a job for a sockpuppet. But I'll give it a go.

87.3% of cwkmacuser's posts are announcing new nicks, posting new nicks, complaining about others making nicks close to his, begging a mod to punish those responsible, begging a mod to close the threads about his new nick, wondering where his other nick is, telling us his other nick is at piano practice, and so on.

The other 12.7% ? Now that I think of it... I have no idea.

Railroader
Banned
May 7, 2009, 12:36 PM

Can I make this a sticky???

!!!!!

andi*pandi
May 7, 2009, 12:48 PM

Oh, that's what the other 12.7% was...

Forum Links
Forum Rules