Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got a new 15 !!!

Got a new 15 !!!
Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 01:57 AM

I just upgraded from a ibook 600 to a brand spanking new 1ghz G4 Powewrbook with a gig of ram. I love this thing.....

Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
I just upgraded from a ibook 600 to a brand spanking new 1ghz G4 Powewrbook with a gig of ram. I love this thing.....
That's a pretty big jump! Congratulations dude!

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 05:16 AM

Hahaha. . . that's awesome. Congrats.

Cincojoe  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 08:10 AM

thanks

todrain
Senior User
Aug 31, 2003, 09:02 AM

Even if the AL 15" does show up in the next couple of weeks, I'm still going to be happy that I didn't wait for them!

I LOVE MY PORT DOOR ON THE BACK!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2003, 10:20 AM

Whoa, huge jump! Enjoy it man!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 11:28 AM

I just made that exact same jump (iBook 600 ---> my current TiSD) a few months ago...

CONGRATS!

I know first hand how much better it feels all around than the (especially older like mine) ibooks. It's an entirely different class of machine and it shows.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 11:42 AM

Where'd you find one at? When I got mine a month ago, it was one of the last two the Apple store in Arlington, Va. had. (And my friend got the other one.)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 11:44 AM

Sucker.

Cincojoe  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 11:53 AM

totally different feel than my ibook. (for the better)

I had originally ordered mine online through apple on Friday night. Then I realized that we had an apple store here in Houston so I called apple Saturday morning and cancelled the order. Drove to the Apple store and bought a 15" with Super Drive and 1 gig of ram. They were also running educators special for ipods. 10 gig for 69.00 ! original price was $299.00. Got a instant $30.00 discount, then a $200.00 mail in rebate. I almost fell on the floor when he told me...lol

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Sucker.
Even if the new ones were 1.4 Ghz with all the features of the 17" Aluminum model, I wouldn't buy them.

One simple reason: OS 9. For those of us that still love it and know how to use it to minimize crashes, it's a much speedier day-to-day system to use than OS X, which is clunky and slow due to its silly emphasis on eye candy.

So I congratulate this guy for buying one heck of a machine!

Cincojoe  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 01:28 PM

I know i'm enjoying it...I looked at the 17" and the 12" wasnt all that impressed. The 17" is just way too big. Might as well buy a desktop.

Peabo
Senior User
Aug 31, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by John123:
OS 9. For those of us that still love it and know how to use it to minimize crashes, it's a much speedier day-to-day system to use than OS X, which is clunky and slow due to its silly emphasis on eye candy.
I think by now it's time you moved on, dude.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 04:34 PM

One simple reason: OS 9. For those of us that still love it and know how to use it to minimize crashes, it's a much speedier day-to-day system to use than OS X, which is clunky and slow due to its silly emphasis on eye candy.
Panther changes all of that. I bought a 12 PB last week so I could be blamed for not waiting too. But I've had three Titaniums and after buying a 17 and 12 inch PB I could never deal with the build quality on the Tis, the hinge, the paint and other flawed aspects of the design. The next 15s are going to be beauties and by the time they are ready to ship they might even have Panther included.

Cincojoe  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2003, 04:51 PM

Whats wrong with the hinge? Seems to work better than my ibooks hinge....

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2003, 05:06 PM

Sucker.

When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
I think by now it's time you moved on, dude.
Why?

It works for me and it works for thousands of others.

You can waste time if you like waiting for the spinning colorful beach ball...that's your choice....

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 07:05 PM

Panther changes all of that. I bought a 12 PB last week so I could be blamed for not waiting too. But I've had three Titaniums and after buying a 17 and 12 inch PB I could never deal with the build quality on the Tis, the hinge, the paint and other flawed aspects of the design. The next 15s are going to be beauties and by the time they are ready to ship they might even have Panther included.
We'll see. I've heard that argument for every version of OS X since the Public Beta. Each revision has been an improvement, but even with the leaps and bounds improvement in Jaguar, it's not even remotely close to the raw speed of OS 9 in day-to-day, casual tasks.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2003, 08:06 PM

Why?

You can waste time if you like waiting for the spinning colorful beach ball...that's your choice....
Why? Because you sound like you haven't used OS X since 10.1 if even that! (Your beachball comment, your slow/sluggish comment...seriously) I've not encountered the beachball in some time, and even if OS 9 is "faster", it's also becoming more and more obsolete and doesn't multi-task well. I can do SO MUCH MORE in OS X. I loved OS 9 when I used it, and I was very apprehensive about OS X when I first started to use it. I was just used to the old system and didn't realize how great the new system was. Jaguar was fine, Panther is great. So to quote again: "I think by now it's time you moved on, dude. "

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2003, 08:08 PM

We'll see. I've heard that argument for every version of OS X since the Public Beta. Each revision has been an improvement, but even with the leaps and bounds improvement in Jaguar, it's not even remotely close to the raw speed of OS 9 in day-to-day, casual tasks.
OS 9 is terrible at multi-tasking. OS X may be slower at many single tasks (although this gap is being bridged), you still save much time in your ability to have multiple programs doing multiple tasks at the same time that would each have to be done individually in OS 9. Background tasks...a wonderful thing.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
OS 9 is terrible at multi-tasking. OS X may be slower at many single tasks (although this gap is being bridged), you still save much time in your ability to have multiple programs doing multiple tasks at the same time that would each have to be done individually in OS 9. Background tasks...a wonderful thing.
If you do true multitasking -- the kind that OS X is optimized for -- then sure, you're right. I don't personally have a Photoshop filter running while rendering a video clip and listening to mp3s...but if that's your gig, and you do that sort of thing a lot, then sure, it's going to be more efficient.

In reality, I don't think that describes most Mac users. More raw hours are spent "putzing" rather than doing truly processor-intensive tasks. And even those who truly do processor-intensive tasks consistently don't frequently find themselves doing that many of them simultaneously.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Why? Because you sound like you haven't used OS X since 10.1 if even that! (Your beachball comment, your slow/sluggish comment...seriously) I've not encountered the beachball in some time, and even if OS 9 is "faster", it's also becoming more and more obsolete and doesn't multi-task well. I can do SO MUCH MORE in OS X. I loved OS 9 when I used it, and I was very apprehensive about OS X when I first started to use it. I was just used to the old system and didn't realize how great the new system was. Jaguar was fine, Panther is great. So to quote again: "I think by now it's time you moved on, dude. "
I've run 10.2.6 on a 1Ghz 15" PowerBook with 1GB of RAM...and each time I've tried to make myself stay in it, I get so frustrated that I find myself booting back into OS 9.

Why do you defend OS X so passionately? You're acting like I've insulted your mother or something....

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 08:50 PM

Don't know about that. Under OS9 I was waiting a second or two to switch between apps (no hardware problems, fast CPU, lots of RAM). It's multitasking is the worst in the world. Windows, BeOS, Linux, OSX - all better because of preemptive multitasking. And having the OS freeze on you because of poor memory management is not nice.

Neither is having several control panels for networking when they should all be in one place.

And I need a proper task bar, not that drag down menu in the corner.

And I like to network a Mac with Unix and Windows.

And I like having proper plug and play printing instead of going to the Chooser to make sure the right thing is chosen.

And Panther is apparently just as fast. So it is time to move on.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 09:53 PM

Don't know about that. Under OS9 I was waiting a second or two to switch between apps (no hardware problems, fast CPU, lots of RAM). It's multitasking is the worst in the world. Windows, BeOS, Linux, OSX - all better because of preemptive multitasking. And having the OS freeze on you because of poor memory management is not nice.

Neither is having several control panels for networking when they should all be in one place.

And I need a proper task bar, not that drag down menu in the corner.

And I like to network a Mac with Unix and Windows.

And I like having proper plug and play printing instead of going to the Chooser to make sure the right thing is chosen.

And Panther is apparently just as fast. So it is time to move on.
I switch between apps nearly instantaneously. All the time.

And I guess we will just have to wait and see just how fast the GM of Panther is....

Traceegee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2003, 10:27 PM

I searched all of NJ in desparation of finding a TiBook 15" (I had the ALPb 12" and I just couldn't put up with the dull, small screen, the heat of the enclosure, and not being able to boot directly into MacOS9.2.2. I happen to wander into the Menlo Park store, and they had one lone G4/867 Ti, New in the box. I grabbed that puppy like Stat, Mared, etc. I've had it for 4 days now, and it is one sweet machine. Bright, clear screen, moderate heat (on the bottom where it belongs, not on top left palm rest like the ALPb 12"), ports in the BACK of the machine where they belong, and OS9 to BOOT! I have been using OSX now mostly, but it's the principle of the thing, I would never buy a CBR (Crippled-Boot-Rom) Mac. That's not what owning an Apple is about. I also have my trustworthy but noisy G4/867 Quicksilver desktop, so life is good. Congratulations on your purchase!!!! And Apple, bring back the Ti and Cube.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 10:40 PM

I've certainly been enjoying my PB17, but it does not make me blind to the advantages I lost when I moved from OS9 to OS X. I still miss copy agent. And when I run an OS 9 machine, it is always 'quick' to launch and run apps.

But OS X is the future, and new apps will take advantage of the system's features. For those who still work well in OS 9, we should not criticize -- they, like myself, spent a long time learning a very advanced and polished OS. OSX is still not nearly as polished implementation. But those same OS 9 users also need to know that learning OSX is a part of more advanced computers and networks, and learning slowly now is the easiest way to transition.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2003, 10:56 PM

Just a quick note for those of you who only use OS9. . .Good luck running the new photoshop, or any other adobe app for that matter. They are all going to be OS X ONLY.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2003, 11:22 PM

Why do you defend OS X so passionately? You're acting like I've insulted your mother or something....
Eh, it just sounded like you hadn't run it since the public beta. Personally, I haven't had many problems with it since Jaguar was first released (something I couldn't say about pre-X systems), and although I was once like you (much preferring the way OS 9 works), I much prefer the way OS X comes together now that I'm used to it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2003, 01:40 AM

Why?

I don't know what you're running X on but I very rarely have the spinning beach ball. And I'd rather not waste time with one single app taking the whole system down if it decides to go tits-up.

Not a crash in months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules