Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Open box - will I pay too much?

Open box - will I pay too much?
TheNakedMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2010, 04:46 PM

Big Box store has a returned open box macbook pro 15 inch. Not the current generation, previous generation. 4GB of ram, C2D. the h key needs to be replaced.
Went for 1699.99.
They offered it to me for $950.00

Good deal or should I pass?

mr.scoot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2010, 06:58 PM

Depends - I'd find out what it would cost to get that key replaced. If the attachment point has been damaged, it could be pricy.

Also, is it a unibody, or the old style enclosure?
Command Line Warriors - How to replace a Macbook Pro key
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Manual...eplacement.pdf

One more thing - unless Apple's policy has changed dramatically, open-box/demo units are warranted for 1 year from the DATE THE BOX IS OPENED. If Best Buy is trying to sell you a demo that's been on the floor for the last year, you get no warranty. Apple has been known to use manufacturing date, even though you have a sales receipt (because in this case, the receipt usually says 'demo' or 'open box'.)

Best bet might be to grab a refurb from the Apple Store online. Couple of hundred off, and you still get a full year.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2010, 06:58 PM

Depends _ow muc_ you t_ink you'll need t_e 'h' key?

Not a bad price...have you looked at eBay to see what others are paying for similar models?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2010, 03:51 PM

Sounds like an awesome deal to me.
Worth finding out if it is ex-demo, but you can check the remaining warranty coverage online from the serial number Even so, Apple will often extend the warranty based on the receipt, you'd be surprised.

If its only a month or so old, and its $750 off for a broken key, bite their hands off. Actually a unibody will require a whole new top case if the key is broken, so check you can attach one of the other keys to it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

macman104
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2010, 12:47 AM

if it seems to good to be true then it probably is

danfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2010, 12:51 PM

i'd feel a little nurvous about putting that much money down on something "as-is". if they'll allow you to return it then it'd be worth the risk.
geek qualifications include:

MacBook Pro, 17", 2.53ghz i5, 4g RAM, 500g HD, Glossy HD Screen
MacBook Pro, 15", 2.16ghz, 1g RAM, 100g HD, Matte Screen
iPhone 4, Black, 32g, BestSkinsEver Total Body Skin

Forum Links
Forum Rules