Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen Problems on new iBooks?

Screen Problems on new iBooks?
Kelly Rothenber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 12:41 PM

When I was testing out my new iBook. I notice a white stripe that was at the bottom of the screen that ran the entire length of the hinge. I remember reading that maybe the screws were too tight and could cause problems, so I sent it back while I thought about whether I should spend the money or not on it.

I was just wondering if other people had the same screen problem. Is it common, or was I one of the rare people that found a flawed machine?

Thanks,

--Kelly Rothenberg
Undead Remains
www.undeadremains.com

curtlivingston
Dec 1, 2003, 04:40 PM

i have a glow at the bottom of my screen (g4 12"). will be taking it to the store i bought it from next week, to see what they have to say about it.

dvwannabe
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 05:21 PM

I have two weird white spots on my screen

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 05:46 PM

I had a white line of pixels going from the center of my screen to the right side, Apple just gave me a new one, though it was three days after purchase.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

nickgold2012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2003, 10:07 PM

The "glow" is not normal -- my 12" iBook G4 does not have it. It will be handled under your warranty (or AppleCare Protection Plan).
My opinions are my own, and not those of anybody else, including my employer.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2003, 12:24 AM

I had it in the upper two corners. It was hardly noticeable, just a little annoying, but strangely enough it faded away after a year of usage. No idea why, but I don't complain.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 10:02 AM

My iBook doesn't have dead pixels (hoorah!) but I did notice that initially, the bottom part of the screen (particularly in the dock area, about 5mm high, like a very flat bell-shaped curve, or the top cut section of a circle) is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.

I'm not sure if this is some sort of "backlight" or because there's a light source there somewhere. This is my first Mac laptop so I don't know what should be "normal."

Should the LCD screen brightness be equally even althroughout? It's a very minor issue on my part, as I now barely notice it (except when I squint my eyes and focus hard).

Kelly Rothenber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by ginoledesma:
My iBook doesn't have dead pixels (hoorah!) but I did notice that initially, the bottom part of the screen (particularly in the dock area, about 5mm high, like a very flat bell-shaped curve, or the top cut section of a circle) is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.

I'm not sure if this is some sort of "backlight" or because there's a light source there somewhere. This is my first Mac laptop so I don't know what should be "normal."

Should the LCD screen brightness be equally even althroughout? It's a very minor issue on my part, as I now barely notice it (except when I squint my eyes and focus hard).
For the most part yes. I have an old iBook that I'm using now that the screen looks the same throughout. That was why I sent back the new iBook originally--the screen at the bottom near the hinge was brighter (as if someone was pushing the LCD screen so much that it turned white-ish).

I was just curious if that is a common thing or rare.

--Kelly
Undead Remains
www.undeadremains.com

gonadman
Dec 2, 2003, 07:30 PM

For the record I just got my new 14" 1GHz iBook, and it doesn't have any screen problems whatsoever.

erniesthings
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 04:39 PM

I would also like to say so far so good on my G4 14". No dead pixels or any white lines. Keeping my fingers crossed.

moep
Senior User
Dec 3, 2003, 04:54 PM

I got my G4 iBook (12") about 3 weeks ago, no dead pixels, no weird stripes or spots. This thing is perfect, I'll never move back to PCs again - my dual 3ghz xeon system will be replaced by a 2.4 ghz G5 as soon as it's available.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 03:40 AM

Yipes. So I guess if you do look for trouble you will find it

The bottom part of the screen near the hinge is a tiny bit brighter. My eyes are a bit sensitive to light (at some times I can distinguish 100Hz against 85Hz refresh rates, and rarer times 120Hz from 100Hz). Hmm.. Man! I hope its nothing serious -- I would hate to have my laptop serviced so soon. I'll be asking other iBook owners nonetheless.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2003, 08:22 PM

I got my 12" iBook last week. I also have the slightly lighter stripe under the dock. It is about 1 centimeter in height. I noticed it right away, but it is not bothersome except from the "it's not perfect-but-should-be-feeling). Seems like the stripe has faded during these last couple of days. Could be some screws fittet to hard or something. The look of it resembles what you get if you apply pressure on the LCD.

I live in Norway and the iBook is BTO. I am hesitant to return it. I will wait and see for some time before I make my decision.

Would be nice to hear from other iBook owners on this phenomenon.

cemo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 07:48 AM

Whats the white spot? Is it in the screen area? Becouse i have non-glowing spot..maybe about half centimeter each way on side of screen, so not actually in screen :o if you know what i mean..so is it this "whitespot"?
iBook 933 14" 640mb 40gb wlan bluetooth

jepoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 09:54 AM

the bottom part of my screen is also a tad brighter....not really annoying..

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:45 AM

Hello, jepoy, nice to see you here on MacNN as well.

Well, I'd like to say that the "lighter glow" on the bottom of the screen (dock area, hinge area) isn't as bright as it used to be whenI first booted up my iBook (which I was treated to the albeit dull backdrop of Mac OS X bootup). Right now, its barely noticeable unless you look at it from a certain angle, or are focusing very, very intently on it. It seems that constant use (or wear and tear) has made it "ok", if it is indeed ok.

Nonetheless, it does give us the "argh-its-not-perfect-when-it-should-be" feeling we all get, but now its relatively a non-issue for me. At least no whitespots and dead pixels!

macrick1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 06:41 PM

Got my new 14" iBook G4 yesterday (1 Ghz), no white spots that I can see thus far...am pretty happy with it :-)

Forum Links
Forum Rules