Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Question RE: Nintendo 64 through a projector

Question RE: Nintendo 64 through a projector
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 08:29 PM

I know... you're probably thinking; "Nintendo 64?!?", but when my brother comes into town a couple of times a year, we put away the Wii and get our Mario Golf on baby!!!

The Projector: ViewSonic PJ506D DLP w/ 800x600 native resolution.
The Console: Nintendo 64 with the A/V pack that plugs into the rear of the console. You may recall that this pack has the left/right audio and composite video cables built in.

I wanted to surprise my brother by patching the console into the projector and playing the game big as life, except... it didn't work. Once all your connections are made and you turn on the projector, it will typically search for an incoming signal and produce a picture almost immediately. In this case, it continued to search and did not find the incoming signal from the Nintendo 64. I tried to manually set to composite video on the projector, but still no picture. I can plug the Nintendo into the TV fine and I can go into the VCR then to TV fine. I tried running from the console into the VCR then to the projector and no luck. The Wii works fine through the projector.

The projector is designed to upscale a lower res, but I'm still thinking it has something to do with resolution incompatibility. Any ideas? Any similar experiences? Thanks all!!!
ebuddy

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 08:38 PM

Hey dude, Nintendo 64 is THE BOMB. Seriously, best console ever. No hating here!

Have you fooled around on the resolution on the projector? I had a similar problem a few years ago (also on a ViewSonic projector with N64 [Mario Kart tournaments FTW!]) and I got it to work eventually.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 09:01 PM

Just download Project64, run it through WINE (works perfectly), and connect your Intel Mac to the projector. Works great, I often go back and play the two Zelda games this way!

There is also an OS X native emulator called SixtyForce which runs most games perfectly too. Project64 is a little better though, if you have access to Intel based hardware.

There is also a Wii and Gamecube emulator called Dolphin, I've played and finished both Zelda games on the Gamecube/Wii this way too

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Just download Project64, run it through WINE (works perfectly), and connect your Intel Mac to the projector. Works great, I often go back and play the two Zelda games this way!

There is also an OS X native emulator called SixtyForce which runs most games perfectly too. Project64 is a little better though, if you have access to Intel based hardware.

There is also a Wii and Gamecube emulator called Dolphin, I've played and finished both Zelda games on the Gamecube/Wii this way too
I appreciate that besson, these are great ideas. The thing is, if I were doing this by myself that would be one thing, but this is a meeting of the minds. We're both on the couch with our handsets, examining one another's facial expressions, psyching each other out, fist-bumps... the works. My Mac Pro is nestled in a large, U-shaped desk in my studio and sharing it would kind of deaden the experience. Unfortunately, my kids' iMac and my wife's PowerBook are both PPCs.
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Hey dude, Nintendo 64 is THE BOMB. Seriously, best console ever. No hating here!

Have you fooled around on the resolution on the projector? I had a similar problem a few years ago (also on a ViewSonic projector with N64 [Mario Kart tournaments FTW!]) and I got it to work eventually.
Thanks imitchell. I think we tried this because I was convinced it was an "upconversion" thing, but now that you mention it I have a tinge of doubt. I'll check this out.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I appreciate that besson, these are great ideas. The thing is, if I were doing this by myself that would be one thing, but this is a meeting of the minds. We're both on the couch with our handsets, examining one another's facial expressions, psyching each other out, fist-bumps... the works. My Mac Pro is nestled in a large, U-shaped desk in my studio and sharing it would kind of deaden the experience. Unfortunately, my kids' iMac and my wife's PowerBook are both PPCs.
You don't need to share it. There are N64 to USB adapters called Adaptoids that will allow you to plug your N64 controllers right into your Mac, including multiple controllers.

Sixtyforce will play your games fine in PowerPC, I used to play Mario Kart on my old Powerbook this way.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 07:19 AM

You don't need to share it. There are N64 to USB adapters called Adaptoids that will allow you to plug your N64 controllers right into your Mac, including multiple controllers.

Sixtyforce will play your games fine in PowerPC, I used to play Mario Kart on my old Powerbook this way.
I see. Well shoot-dang this might be the work-around then. Thanks again besson.
ebuddy

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 11:16 AM

I know... you're probably thinking; "Nintendo 64?!?", but when my brother comes into town a couple of times a year, we put away the Wii and get our Mario Golf on baby!!!
No one with a shred of good sense would deplore a N64 in comparison to a Wii.

I wanted to surprise my brother by patching the console into the projector and playing the game big as life, except... it didn't work. Once all your connections are made and you turn on the projector, it will typically search for an incoming signal and produce a picture almost immediately. In this case, it continued to search and did not find the incoming signal from the Nintendo 64. I tried to manually set to composite video on the projector, but still no picture. I can plug the Nintendo into the TV fine and I can go into the VCR then to TV fine. I tried running from the console into the VCR then to the projector and no luck. The Wii works fine through the projector.
What happens when you plug just the VCR (or any other composite device) into the projector?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2010, 12:44 PM

I still have a N64 mug sitting on my desk

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 01:24 PM

I guess that all depends, my PowerMac G4 733 could only muster about 6FPS in any N64 game with sixtyforce. Not to mention the sound was always screwy.

Nothing beats playing the games on the original console, despite the retarded 3 foot controller cables.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 01:29 PM

I found the emulators to be very buggy. Also good luck getting the roms, not to mention I found some worked then other kinda worked then others didn't work.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 01:51 PM

Ahhh, I was playing SixtyForce at 1.25Ghz on my Powerbook...

If Kart and any other game I've played don't work for you, you either are not using the latest version of SixtyForce or else your ROMS are bad. There is no way it could work perfectly for some people and not others, unless you set some really goofy non-default settings.

If possible, Project64 will yield much better results on your Mac Pro.

Dakar, if in the pluralization of "emulator" you include Dolphin, it is indeed a little buggy now since it is much newer, but Project64 has been quite stable for a number of years now. If you are having problems with it, your ROMs are bad. I've played all sorts of games with it without a single blip: both Zeldas, Mario 64, Kart, etc.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 01:52 PM

Mupen64

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 01:53 PM

Emulation and console gaming can be a tremendous amount of fun. There are times when you can do even more with the emulator than you can with the console. For instance, in Dolphin you can play Wii games in HD, there was a project that replaced all of the textures used in Zelda Ocarina of Time, and of course you have save states.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 01:54 PM

Ahhh... I think Mupen was abandoned, I remember trying it too. SixtyForce got pretty good towards the end, but I think it's been mostly abandoned too. Not much point with Intel Macs now, since you can just use all of the Windows emulators that work much, much better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 01:56 PM

When was the end? I think I was doing this stuff around 2007.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 02:16 PM

I don't remember, but I'm sure I was using 0.9.2 which was released Dec 2007...

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 7, 2010, 04:41 PM

My friend did the same, and it had weird artifacts. Not sure what the deal with N64 and projectors is, but it's something.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2010, 04:51 PM

Nintendo®: Our products were designed with thwarting the future in mind.™

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
No one with a shred of good sense would deplore a N64 in comparison to a Wii.
This is actually a good point. I had anticipated some snobbery only because I'm not up on the gaming "scene". A lot of folks love their Wii, but I've just not really gotten into it that much.

What happens when you plug just the VCR (or any other composite device) into the projector?
VCR works through it. DVR with both 4:3 and 16:9 broadcasts work great through it. Laptops, Wii, VCR all work fine through the projector.

Originally Posted by sek929
Nothing beats playing the games on the original console, despite the retarded 3 foot controller cables.
I'm kinda with you on this. You get used to the little quirks of the old handsets and the pace of the console and game. It's probably just superstition, but... I'm with ya.
ebuddy

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2010, 08:23 PM

Do you have another cable to try, or a GCN (use the same cable)? It should work without a hitch, might be a hardware issue of sorts.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2010, 11:14 PM

N64 is my only game system besides the iMac. I play Mrs. Pacman which is part of Namco Museum, and used to play Mario Golf and Kart.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2010, 11:18 PM

RE: the projector problem

If you get the projector to do 640x480 it should work, but this is very strange considering you've done other pass-throughs.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 11:19 PM

Once all your connections are made and you turn on the projector, it will typically search for an incoming signal and produce a picture almost immediately.
I often find those signal searching projectors to be a bit flaky. Give me a manual selection switch any day!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2010, 11:34 PM

I'm kinda with you on this. You get used to the little quirks of the old handsets and the pace of the console and game. It's probably just superstition, but... I'm with ya.
No game pad on earth is a viable substitute for a true SNES controller, or N64 for that matter.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
No game pad on earth is a viable substitute for a true SNES controller, or N64 for that matter.
The Playstation controller is a decent substitute — they're practically identical except the Playstation one has some relatively small handles.

Incidentally, I still to this day say the A and B buttons backwards on the Xbox controller because that's the order they were in on the SNES.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 12:33 PM

Nobody with a shred of sense would blame you for that. I play the N64, SNES and NES games on my Wii about as frequent as any Wii game.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules