Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > A couple system-wide hacks sought

A couple system-wide hacks sought
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2010, 03:15 AM

For my purposes, I'd love a couple enhancements for "on-startup" (or log-in):

1) Open app with previously windows/docs. Browsers let you do it. Mail does it by default. Dreamweaver likewise. Finder: mostly. Any simple Terminal-based hacks for apps (at least Cocoa-based ones?) to get them to automatically open with same docs open when last quit - ideally in the same positions (27" screen here)? This would be very handy, as I have several TextEdit docs that I use as uber-post-its for different reminders/notes, which would be nice to have positioned exactly as I left them before.
[additional rant] Why do Adobe developers not teach DW the art of remembering the *positions* of document windows as long as they are remembering which docs were open last time. For extra credit: share any hack to OS routines that DW might be calling that affect this. [/additional rant]

2) Make recalcitrant apps (usually from Apple) obey the "hide when opening at startup" setting. Mail has never played nicely with this: and many times the *last* thing I want to be distracted by upon log-in is email. Now (under Snow Leopard) AddressBook as well *insists* that if set to open-on-startup" it will *not* be hidden.

Hackers of OS X unite! If you've got any workarounds (via a utility or Terminal), please share.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2010, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
2) Make recalcitrant apps (usually from Apple) obey the "hide when opening at startup" setting. Mail has never played nicely with this: and many times the *last* thing I want to be distracted by upon log-in is email. Now (under Snow Leopard) AddressBook as well *insists* that if set to open-on-startup" it will *not* be hidden.
Actually, Mail auto-hide started working for me with one of the 10.6.x updates. I know, I know, but it's true. I immediately checked for signs of the apocalypse, but didn't notice any.

You seem to be right about Address Book, though. You could probably fix that by putting this AppleScript in the login items instead of Address Book itself:

Code:
tell application "Address Book" activate end tell delay 1 tell application "System Events" set visible of process "Address Book" to false end tell
(you can put in a longer delay instead of "delay 1" if that turns out not to be enough time for Address Book to have fully started up by the time the script tries to hide it)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules