Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NorCal to SoCal Road Trip - Suggestions?

NorCal to SoCal Road Trip - Suggestions?
MrsLarry
Senior User
Jan 4, 2011, 09:30 PM

I have this grand plan to fly into Northern California and drive down the Pacific Coast Highway to San Diego over the course of about 10-14 days. Staying in each place 2-3 days depending on what we decide to see. We've been to San Diego before, but want to see more of what California has to offer.

So far, the plan is very rough...Not sure where to fly into... Was thinking San Fran, but someone told me either Oakland or Sacramento may be cheaper??
- A vineyard in Sonoma (to be determined)
- San Francisco, the obvious Golden Gate Bridge, the big windy street, a trolley
- Yosemite
(I have no idea of anything between Yosemite and San Diego - other than LA, which I've seen, and probably don't need to do again)
- Ending in Mission Beach San Diego

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to see or do? My husband and I are both geeks, so science and nature things are welcome. Museums, any world record holding things, beaches (my husband likes to surf/bodyboard), awesome views, places to stay?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2011, 10:03 PM

Tech Museum in San Jose will work for you.

Apple Campus you can't tour but you can drive around and walk around in there I hear.

SF Apple Store if you are really geeky.

Metron to check out Tron on IMAX 3D. (really really geeky. LOL)

Fisherman's Wharf Check out Castagnola's on Thursday's if you like live Jazz. My grandfather plays there with a trio. (shameless plug, LOL ;-) )

Alcatraz

Angel Island (Good picnic day there)

Monterey Aquarium

Buena Vista (Irish Coffee) If you are a drinker

Crustacean best crab on earth (get the garlic noodles and roast crab)

DeYoung Museum

Napa Valley

Sausilto (Marin County) Art Galleries and other stuff there too.

Jack London Square Rent kayaks, resturants, Yoshi's (Jazz club)

Point Reyes The lighthouse was were they filmed 'The Fog'.

Bodega Bay Where Alfred Hitchcock filmed 'The Birds'. The church and school are still there.

--

These are just a few that I got off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

elyzabennet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2011, 10:30 PM

I would suggest going to the Monterey/Carmel area. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is great and Carmel has some great beaches and views (the 17 mile drive between Monterey and Carmel is especially beautiful but you have to pay to drive it - it's a private road.) If you like good food Montrio Bistro in Downtown Monterey is excellent.

The San Luis Obispo area is also great if you like wine. (if you only want to do one vineyard trip though, stick with Sonoma). Big Sur is also supposed to be something to see (haven't done it yet)

East of the 5 there is Sequoia National Park (I haven't gone but my parents loved it) as well as Death Valley (never been but heard it's impressive).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2011, 11:00 PM

Santa Barbara

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2011, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry
NoCal to SoCal Road Trip - Suggestions?
Yeah, call it NorCal, or you'll get strange looks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2011, 01:12 AM

I'll second Sequoia National Park. If you want to see an honest to gods prehistoric forrest with trees so mind boggling big... I'm talking SO F*CKING HUGE that no picture could possibly express how freakin' big those trees are, you have to see them in person. It's almost surreal.

Lick Observatory is really neat. Fun drive, too. Not too far from San Jose.

Also, The Cetacean Institute- err, I mean the Monterey Bay Aquarium is pretty damn cool. I think they still have the jelly fish exhibit there, not sure about the Otters. Only one word can describe jelly fish: awesome. It's a huge aquarium, definitely an all-day thing if you include lunch. Lots of interactive exhibits.

I also suggest Griffith Observatory when you get to L.A.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 5, 2011, 02:24 AM

Hearst Castle might be worth your time. I'd hate to pay the utility bills for it.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2011, 04:44 AM

you may want to fly into Bakersfield or Fresno, hit Yosemite then head for San Fran, otherwise you are looking at a lot of backtracking

Mission San Juan Capistrano Mission San Juan Capistrano - old Spanish California

Knotts Berry Farm - where the locals go instead of Disneyland

Santa Barbara, Venice, Balboa Island, Laguna Beach, are all on 101 and worth a stop

winter is a good time to go whale watching - catch a boat from Dana Point Marina

Take the Ortega Highway through Cleveland Natl forrest to the desert

go to palm springs and take the cable car 8000 feet strait up to the top of mt San Jacinto Palm Springs Aerial Tramway

head south to the Salton Sea

then hit Yuma AZ on the colorado river for giant saguaro cacti , you can see Mexico across the sand dunes

have fun
( Last edited by Gavin; Jan 5, 2011 at 04:55 AM. )
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2011, 04:53 AM

I think that I can speak for everyone on the board in saying “Pics or it didn’t happen!”

Have a great trip, and yes, plenty of pictures please!

Be sure to eat at every in-n-out possible!

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jan 5, 2011, 06:57 AM

Many fine suggestions here.

I'd like to add, if for any reason you drive just east of San Francisco and have time, to have a drive up to Mt. Diablo. Not spectacular, but nice if the air is clear - one can see S.F.! It's just under 4,000ft. and you can drive right to the top. Don't bother if the weather is hot and the air quality is bad.

If you decide to check out Apple in Cupertino, try to be there on a weekday during business hours so you can visit the Company Store.

Oh yes, do eat at In-n-Out. They will ask if you want onions on your burger. You have a choice of raw or grilled. A Double-Double with grilled onions. Yummy!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 5, 2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
Oh yes, do eat at In-n-Out. They will ask if you want onions on your burger. You have a choice of raw or grilled. A Double-Double with grilled onions. Yummy!
Yes yes yes. Best fast food I've ever had was In-and-Out.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I think that I can speak for everyone on the board in saying “Pics or it didn’t happen!”
Oh I plan to! We're probably not going til mid-Juneish, but I want to get something down on paper soon. (I need something to look forward to while I work my life away in this beige cubicle.)

Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
you may want to fly into Bakersfield or Fresno, hit Yosemite then head for San Fran, otherwise you are looking at a lot of backtracking
Really? Isn't SF north of Yosemite?

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Yeah, call it NorCal, or you'll get strange looks.
Ha! Thanks!

Originally Posted by elyzabennet View Post
East of the 5 there is Sequoia National Park (I haven't gone but my parents loved it) as well as Death Valley (never been but heard it's impressive).
Sequoias are a must - how amazing! Death Valley seems awesome, but my husband and I looked at it and wondered if we actually went, would we get there, look around, and immediately think "let's get the hell out of here" ??

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Monterey Aquarium

Crustacean best crab on earth (get the garlic noodles and roast crab)
And the Aquarium is right up our alley. And when I showed my huby the menu for this place he demanded we go there. So, I guess it's on the list!!

These are all awesome suggestions. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yes yes yes. Best fast food I've ever had was In-and-Out.
If In-N-Out is the option she should fly into Oakland, because you pass it on the way to the freeway leaving the terminal. ;-)

also a few more you might like. Lots of stuff here in the Bay Area as you see.

Muir Woods

Winchester Mystery House

Pacifica Beach Surfing

Carmel

Leguna Seca If you are into auto and motorbike racing

Infineon Raceway again if you like racing

Six Flags Amusement parks (There are two up here and one down south)

more as I can think of them...
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:12 PM. )

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 5, 2011, 01:35 PM

Big Sur. Lots of great things there. Be sure you're not driving a high profile vehicle, in the rain/wind when you're driving thru this part. Otherwise you might be a little freaked. Stop by Nepenthe for lunch with a view. If you end up staying the night there, and are game for something unusual, I highly recommend Tree Bones.

Even if you don't go to Hearst Castle, be alert for the zebras grazing off the 1 in San Simeon.

Also be aware that Yosemite isn't on the coast, so it's a bit of a detour back to PCH (it's like 4 hours inland).

Santa Barbara for some wine and good food. And a peaceful walk along the beach & pier.

Some day you'll have to do the 1 north of the bay into Oregon. Quite a bit less populated.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2011, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=Demonhood;4040594
Also be aware that Yosemite isn't on the coast, so it's a bit of a detour back to PCH (it's like 4 hours inland).
[/QUOTE]

Quite true. And although I consider Yosemite the closest I'll see to heaven on earth...
It requires reservation (see natl parks online), and...
The Sierra Nevada's winters are VERY treacherous. No guarantee at all you can get to Yosemite Valley, not to mention higher parts.

Rec.: save Yosemite for a summer (early: before kids' schools are out)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2011, 03:34 PM

Foster's Freeze > In-n-Out. If you're in California, try out Foster's Freeze. In-n-Out isn't anything special, in my opinion. When you hit LA, go to Tommy's. Get a chili burger and some tamales.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Foster's Freeze > In-n-Out. If you're in California, try out Foster's Freeze. In-n-Out isn't anything special, in my opinion.
Again, if you fly into Oakland and you can hit the one on the other side of the freeway leaving the terminal. LOL ;-)

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one as well. I like In-N-Out burgers, however I hate the fries.

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2011, 04:08 PM

If you've been to San Diego before, why not start South and work your way up? more time for cool things.

Carmel's beaches were lovely.
San Jose was also nice. See the Mystery House. Welcome - The world famous Winchester Mystery House™ in San Jose, California, is an extravagant maze of Victorian craftsmanship – marvelous, baffling, eerily eccentric, and undeniably, haunted.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2011, 04:29 PM

Again, if you fly into Oakland and you can hit the one on the other side of the freeway leaving the terminal. LOL ;-)
Oh, OK. I mean, if it's on the way.

I'm going to have to agree with you on that one as well. I like In-N-Out burgers, however I hate the fries.
Their fries are something awful, they're always soggy. In-n-Out doesn't know how to use fresh potatoes. The only way to make good, crispy chips with fresh potatoes is Belgian style. Pan fry (evaporates the moisture, releases starches), then second deep fry (makes it crispy.) Prefect fries.

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If you've been to San Diego before, why not start South and work your way up? more time for cool things.
Because I feel like SD will be the most relaxing part, versus the run-around sightseeing part, a good note to end on.
( Last edited by MrsLarry; Jan 5, 2011 at 07:08 PM. )

MrsLarry  (op)
Senior User
Jan 5, 2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
Rec.: save Yosemite for a summer (early: before kids' schools are out)
We're shooting for June-ish. And understood about the detour. We're potentially baby bound in the next couple years, so it's sort of becoming this "Last Hurrah" type trip (I've been calling it the babymoon), so we def want to make time for it as a part of this trip, who knows if/when we'll go back.

Originally Posted by Dr. Wahnsinn View Post
I have tried In-n-Out before and was underwhelmed. (don't shoot!) But from what I understand, is that I didn't give it a fair shot because I didn't have the onions. I'll try again.

Does the West Coast have Five Guys? They have good burgers AND fries. Now I'm hungry.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
Does the West Coast have Five Guys? They have good burgers AND fries. Now I'm hungry.
Yes, at least we do in the Bay Area.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2011, 08:20 PM

Traffic from the Bay Area to the coast can get pretty bad, especially on weekends.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2011, 08:56 PM

We're shooting for June-ish.
You should go to a Giants game while you're in San Francisco. It's a nice ballpark to visit on a sunny day. Even if you don't like baseball, you can walk around the park and enjoy the sights and sounds.

I recommend yo go check out the new building for the California Academy of Sciences. They have an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum and indoor rain forest all under one living roof.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur
Six Flags Amusement parks (There are two up here and one down south)
The one down south (Magic Mountain) is much better than the one up north (Discovery Kingdom) if you're a roller coaster enthusiast.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jan 5, 2011, 09:44 PM

I have tried In-n-Out before and was underwhelmed. (don't shoot!) But from what I understand, is that I didn't give it a fair shot because I didn't have the onions. I'll try again.
Well, it isn't to everyone's taste. A friend from Germany tried it and was also underwhelmed. In that case, try a Western Bacon Cheeseburger or a Santa Fe Chicken at Carl's Jr.

Sonic Burger is another option, but visit the ATM first.

Sounds like you will have a very busy trip. Should be fun.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The one down south (Magic Mountain) is much better than the one up north (Discovery Kingdom) if you're a roller coaster enthusiast.
By far I agree, just giving options.

If you like brazilian food look no further than...
Espetus I tried to shut the place down many times.

Mustards Grill If in NAPA you have to check this place out as well.

Cliff House I haven't been here in years, so not sure on much but the view.

1300 On Fillmore GREAT food here.

Castle Airforce Base Nice air museum here. They have an SR-71 there if you are an airplane nut.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2011, 10:52 PM

Solvang is also an interesting little town to check out. It's like a Dutch village of sorts. I think it's east of Santa Barbara.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2011, 11:54 AM

you may want to fly into Fresno, hit Yosemite then head for San Fran, otherwise you are looking at a lot of backtracking

Really? Isn't SF north of Yosemite?
yes, but you mentioned heading down 101, east west travel back to the coast is a bit clunky in the southern valley - hours of windy roads through nothing, remember the central valley is bigger than new jersey. much more fun down the coast from san fran. If it's a choice between skippng Montery or bakersfield, skip bakersfield

what else? lake tahoe is cool, and the road down the cliffs to nevada will scare the crap out of you
( Last edited by Gavin; Jan 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM. )
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2011, 07:37 AM

go watch a sharks game, then go to valerianos.
winchester is only good on halloween.
If you go the apple campus then go to donut wheel.
tech museum is overpriced and hasn't been updated since 2001.
bars to get drunk in: teske's and trials. and/or original joes.

(cut through the mountains on the 84 and on your way south go see pigeon point.)
if you go to mb skip cannery row. skip the aquarium. go to ft. ord. walk to the beach and watch the dumb otters eat mussels.
then go to santa cruz beach boardwalk. ride the big dipper and go on the carousel.

yosemite. if you really want to go. make reservations yesterday and expect to see ten people every ten seconds if you go during peak months.
(and who cares if you miss the central coastline, you'll make up for it from sf to sc then from sb to la to sd.)

SB > SLO

Six Flags Magic Mountain is way better than knotts (only good thing about knotts is knots scary farm). Go to disneyland if you want to lose a ton of money to end up in a park with children who never watch where they are going and end up in your walking path 99.99% of your time in the park.

Go to westwood and eat some diddy riese.
skip hollywood. no one goes there.
as dirty as venice is, i would suggest it. then ride (or walk) all the way south to the foot of palos verdes (either go up further and pretend to be rich or head back)
MOMA, LACMA, HAMMER, NORTON SIMON, etc etc etc etc
go see a show. go to the hollywood bowl. go to the troubadour, glasshouse, palladium, etc etc etc.
griffith park. go see the batcaves.
Los Angeles County is 4061 Square Miles (according to wiki). There is always something to do.
go to the original f21 in highland park.
irvine/OC is full of empty four lane roads and you'll just end up going in circles.
Edit: eat kogibbq, frysmith, or some other terrible foodtruck cuisine.

pokez and bronx pizza in san diego.
there are a million and one things to do in balboa park.
swim anywhere south of coronado (ocean beach) and you'll be swimming in sewage courtesy of mexico.
don't go to TJ. please. really. don't.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2011, 10:31 AM

Yes, P.V really is extremely nice; and in June, the numerous trails are spectacular. I'll re-look up one that I went on down there that was simply awe inspiring. Pure nature for 95% of it. No traffic noise ect.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
(cut through the mountains on the 84 and on your way south go see pigeon point.)
Yes, I do very good Meriwether Lewis impression every weekend.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2011, 05:22 AM

Protip: never use "the" when referring to freeways or highways ("the 101," "the 5," etc.) north of Los Angeles. Everyone will just stare at you scratching his head.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2011, 05:26 AM

True, it's because all the smart Californians are in Southern,CA.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
True, it's because all the smart Californians are in Southern,CA.
If you include Hollywood, I think it all averages out.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2011, 01:30 PM

In San Francisco I'd recommend the Boudin Bakery (world famous sourdough bread) and Chinatown. Hearst Castle is cool, you might be able to time tour trip with a space launch from Vandenberg AFB in Central California, Buelton is a cool Danish town near where they filed Sideways, and Santa Barbara's State Street near the wharf is a nice walk with good shops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules