Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Peripherals Forum that Doesn't Hate Macs?

Peripherals Forum that Doesn't Hate Macs?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 11:37 AM

One of the few areas that seems rather inactive at MacNN is the PERIPHERALS forum. Maybe that's too wide a topic for folks to stay interested in: anyway, googling for a problem with Canon scanner driver updates shows mostly MacFixit and AppleInsider posts.

AppleInsider didn't have much posted since 2002 ( ) on old models. But I'll probably post anyway.

MacFixit (now owned by VersionTracker, I gather) really has trouble (at least today) letting me log in -- or set up another account. A SQL error shows embarrassingly at top after I attempt registration:
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_SessionId = '40bf82623caded1cd84332d5e3cf4d72' WHERE U_Number =
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3

( At least that tells me not to look to INFOPOP to power a forum )

Other forums seem highly Window-centric.

Of course Canon has not seen fit to offer a Wiki or Forum (or keeps it well buried).

What do YOU folks do when you need peripheral support in such situations?
TIA
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2007, 12:04 PM

Other forums seem highly Window-centric.

Of course Canon has not seen fit to offer a Wiki or Forum (or keeps it well buried).

What do YOU folks do when you need peripheral support in such situations?
TIA[/QUOTE]

I agree that getting that info is a problem. Although, there is probably enough frustration to create both a driver and printer fourm. Especially with all the new Window's switchers. Both my sons have switched, and are struggling to find appropiate drivers for their existing equipment or what is an acceptable replacement.

The success of that ultimately depends on members posting their experiences.

gopikrishna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2007, 12:31 PM

Yup, scanner drivers are not as enticing a topic as, say, "Hot Babes."

And one thing I LOVE about the OSX experience is how I can plug in to almost any PRINTER and find that the system already has the needed drivers.

Now, scanners are probably another issue.

I'll second the desire for manufacturers to provide fora or wikis for their products. Of course then they'd run the risk of ::gasp:: critical comments from users. Quel domage! (or, Quel damage!)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2007, 12:49 PM

I have a fun one for you, try and find updated drivers for a Sony DVDirect drive.

It's great. First, their FAQ doesn't even pertain to the right product. Second, the link they provide for download the drivers leads to a dead webpage (as in, the URL hasn't be renewed in 3 years.) If you actually Google for it, it'll take you to Sony's main CD/DVD website. Third, if you actually manage to find your way to the website, they don't even offer the drivers (not even the original) for download.

Yay Sony!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 01:08 PM

I found that Image Capture works pretty well for a lot of scanners. My unsupported Epson scanner works perfectly in Image Capture. Try it out.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2007, 01:27 PM

VueScan is the ultimate program to get pretty much any scanner working in OS X. It's a little pricey, though.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2007, 01:27 PM

Printers are so popular because EVERYONE needs a printer. Scanners on the other hand simply aren't as popular.

The thing is, you need to buy a scanner that openly supports OS X. If you are switching... you may find that your scanner simply isn't supported.

I'm a bit of a snob about scanners. If they don't support OS X, I basically chalk them up to "cheap scanners" regardless of their age. I once considered Umax to be the BEST scanner solution out there... but since they have basically looked the other way to all OS X users, I wouldn't even consider buying one.

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 02:40 PM

One of the reasons I originally got the Canon N1240U (besides its light weight portability) was that it supported Sys 9. Then it did support OS X - although instead of a direct driver it went to a plug-in for "importing" into Photoshop Elements (good thing I *had* Elements, eh?).

Now Elements insists "no scanner is plugged in".

?Fortunately? they've a 2006 update for OS X that no longer relies on Elements: "CanoScan" app can be downloaded. Kewl! right?

Well, upon cranking up the new CanoScan software I get set up to scan and it complains, "No plug-in can be found." Sure enough, the folder of "Plug-ins" for the Canoscan software is empty!

Is there a human being at Canon anywhere to be contacted? Oh, right. What was I thinking?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules