Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > First time purchase, Macbook Pro Retina Display

First time purchase, Macbook Pro Retina Display
Guardi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2012, 01:42 AM

Hello Everyone

I will be buying my first Mac

I'm not sure which MacBook Pro with Retina Display configuration to go for and need some expert help

1) 2.3GHz - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD

2) 2.3GHz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD

3) 2.6GHz - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD

4) 2.6GHz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD

I will be using the computer for general browsing, some photoshop + web dev, watching videos, basic video editing, office work, server admin and running windows in VM.

I have a Ubuntu Server with 4TB of storage for storing my media.

Wanted to make sure I choose the right options so I can future proof for the next three years +

Does an increase in CPU reduce the battery usage?

I'm really excited!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2012, 04:15 AM

You're only saving $100 by getting the 2.3GHz processor so I say go with the 2.6GHz. As far as I know, the SSD isn't upgradeable yet so you may as well go with the 512GB, especially since you'll be running a Windows VM.

My boss recently bought one for his wife and I was tasked with getting it setup for her. It's a gorgeous device but I was taken aback by how heavy it felt. I guess I've become accustomed to my 13" MBA.

Enjoy!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2012, 06:49 PM

You should be excited! As an images person IMO the retina displays are awesome. However personally I hate the fact that they are still glossy, even though they are marginally less offensive than earlier glossy models

The 16 GB RAM is a necessity, and the +$100 for 13% faster CPU is probably worth it, even though all 2011-2012 CPUs frankly are very fast. If money was tight I would not hesitate to live with 2.3 GHz because on modern MBPs the CPUs are relatively over-strong relative to the rest of the architecture. GPU is the lame part of the architecture.

Currently I run a (non-glossy) 2011 MBP with 128GB SSD and a heavy still images workflow. +$500 to go from 256GB SSD to 500 GB SSD is a tough call. Neither will be adequate for any substantial still or video images workflow, so images folks WILL need external drives. Personally I would not pay +$500 to upgrade 256 GB to 500 GB, but that totally depends on one's personal finances and intended workflow. [Fortunately I do not run Win, so I am ignorant as to the demands of the VM environment.]

As to weight, mine is a 17" MBP that I carry everywhere and find no issues with the weight. I far, far prefer more pixels and screen real estate to saving a couple of pounds. Each step down in size is a huge loss of screen real estate and pixel count.

My 02.

-Allen

reader50
Administrator
Aug 9, 2012, 08:58 PM

If I were buying a Retina MBP, I'd pay for the 16GB and the 2.6 GHz upgrades. But I'd go with the 256 GB SSD.

My reasons: the RAM and CPU are soldered down, so your only upgrade chance is at the beginning. Also, those upgrades are reasonably priced.

The SSD is a (proprietary) expansion card - there will be 3rd party upgrades for it in the future. The only way I'd pay $500 for a 256 GB upgrade would be if I absolutely needed it *today*. Use an external, and get a 1 TB replacement a year from now for the same upgrade price.

pickerin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2012, 03:34 AM

I have the MacBook Pro Retina display. I also run Windows in a VM.
The CPU really isn't going to be a problem, there are 8 cores!

However, you most definitely want 16GB of RAM, no matter what. Also, rather than just building a standard VM, I went ahead and Boot Camped mine. Parallels and VMWare Fusion can both boot from a Boot Camped volume, and that way you also have the flexibility of booting Windows on the barebones hardware.

It's amazing to boot into Windows Natively and get a 2880x1800 resolution display on the 15"!

Good luck with the purchase. Welcome aboard!

-Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules