Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Your average terrorist isn't going to care if his milk expires two days from now

Your average terrorist isn't going to care if his milk expires two days from now
art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 04:39 PM

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2006, 04:41 PM

I love the stupidity of this scheme. Makes for great entertainment value!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 04:51 PM

Yeah, but now I can't buy expired milk, darn.

marden
Baninated
Oct 7, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by art_director
Yeah, but now I can't buy expired milk, darn.
I am constantly shown how smart our government is and how they are often flying higher and faster than their critics can detect.

Wow!

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by marden
I am constantly shown how smart our government is and how they are often flying higher and faster than their critics can detect.

Wow!
You mean getting higher than their critics can detect?

marden
Baninated
Oct 7, 2006, 05:21 PM

You mean getting higher than their critics can detect?
Q.E.D.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2006, 05:33 PM

Hahahahahahaha!

Great parody!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 01:45 AM

We deserve a smarter government.
Agreed, but please tell me that after just the most casual glance at that, you realized it was parody?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2006, 01:56 AM

It made me chuckle, at least.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

marden
Baninated
Oct 8, 2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Hahahahahahaha!

Great parody!
Thank you.

*Bows from waist*

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Agreed, but please tell me that after just the most casual glance at that, you realized it was parody?
How could you not?

marden
Baninated
Oct 8, 2006, 03:29 PM

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 03:42 PM

How could you not?
I dunno, but then again, I'm not the one who posted it here.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 03:47 PM

So people who like middle eastern food get red flagged? What about Jews? The best falafel I've ever head is made by an Israeli in San Francisco. Guess he should be considered a terrorist since he's from the Middle East...

marden
Baninated
Oct 8, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
So people who like middle eastern food get red flagged? What about Jews? The best falafel I've ever head is made by an Israeli in San Francisco. Guess he should be considered a terrorist since he's from the Middle East...
The key to using simplifications like yours to point out the flaws of a procedure is that anyone who is slightly more experienced in how the world works understands that there are other elements to the procedure which would make your scenario unlikely.

Pity you didn't figure on that.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 04:09 PM

Mmm falafel... Best falafel I've had, and I have it every time I'm there, is from a little shop in Tel-Aviv. But I've heard many Arabs claim Israeli falafel is crap

kick52
Baninated
Oct 8, 2006, 04:13 PM

um.. are we intrested in the bahaviour of terrorists towards milk?!??

marden
Baninated
Oct 8, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
Mmm falafel... Best falafel I've had, and I have it every time I'm there, is from a little shop in Tel-Aviv. But I've heard many Arabs claim Israeli falafel is crap
Maybe you should find nonhuman's Israeli San Fran shop?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 04:24 PM

Maybe, but I'm hardly ever in SF.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2006, 04:57 PM

Try Arab falafel, then make up your mind.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 05:05 PM

The key to using simplifications like yours to point out the flaws of a procedure is that anyone who is slightly more experienced in how the world works understands that there are other elements to the procedure which would make your scenario unlikely.

Pity you didn't figure on that.
According to President Bush, the whole idea behind this program is that terrorists are readily identifiable based on nothing other than what they like to eat. Presumably the primary influence on what they eat will be their religion. And yet there are plenty of people who adhere to Islam's dietary requirements and aren't terrorists. There are also plenty of people who eat a lot of middle eastern food that aren't terrorists.

I don't dispute that data mining can reveal a lot of useful information that isn't otherwise visible. I also don't dispute that the things that people buy at groceries stores could reveal a lot about their behavior. I just find it highly unlikely that the diet of terrorists varies in any significant and reliable way from the diet of non-terrorists. I also find it highly unlikely that the diet of people locked up in guantanamo bay, where the food they get is determined solely by the US, and where, due to their extreme situation, their eating habits are going to be irregular, are particularly indicative of a 'terrorist' diet. Especially since so many of those people are turning out not to be terrorists.

Additionally, the NSA spokesperson's comment that 'Those guys are used to living on a diet of rancid yak butter and sand fleas back home, so sour-tasting milk isn't going to phase them one bit.' reveals an inherent prejudice in the very basis of the program.

All those factors combined, along with this administration's track record when dealing with security issues such as this, lead me to believe that this idea is likely to fail and quite possibly, ultimately do more harm than good.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 05:07 PM

I really like Israeli falafel. Lebanese falafel is pretty good too, as is Moroccan. I'm really not a big fan of Egyptian falafel however.

So I'd say that Israeli falafl is, in general, better than Arab falafel. But obviously it's really just going to be an issue of taste.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by lil'babykitten
Try Arab falafel, then make up your mind.
Not to say Arab falafel is bad

I've been to a ton of Arab run restaurants in the US and in Israel, a bunch of them were excellent. My favorite for middle eastern food in the US is a Lebanese place near Seattle. But for just falafel, this little stand in Tel Aviv has a place in my heart!

As far as the thread goes, I'd agree with nonhuman's take. Even my wife's 86 year old, old fashioned, American grandmother likes humus.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 05:10 PM

Maybe, but I'm hardly ever in SF.
Well, if you're ever in Albany, you should try Sophia Cafe. It's on Solano at Masonic. In SF, try the Oasis Grill. It's on Drumm at, I think, Sacramento, right across the street from EC 3.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
I love the stupidity of this scheme. Makes for great entertainment value!

V
Better than fiction.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2006, 08:36 PM

According to President Bush, the whole idea behind this program is that terrorists are readily identifiable based on nothing other than what they like to eat. Presumably the primary influence on what they eat will be their religion. And yet there are plenty of people who adhere to Islam's dietary requirements and aren't terrorists. There are also plenty of people who eat a lot of middle eastern food that aren't terrorists.

I don't dispute that data mining can reveal a lot of useful information that isn't otherwise visible. I also don't dispute that the things that people buy at groceries stores could reveal a lot about their behavior. I just find it highly unlikely that the diet of terrorists varies in any significant and reliable way from the diet of non-terrorists. I also find it highly unlikely that the diet of people locked up in guantanamo bay, where the food they get is determined solely by the US, and where, due to their extreme situation, their eating habits are going to be irregular, are particularly indicative of a 'terrorist' diet. Especially since so many of those people are turning out not to be terrorists.

Additionally, the NSA spokesperson's comment that 'Those guys are used to living on a diet of rancid yak butter and sand fleas back home, so sour-tasting milk isn't going to phase them one bit.' reveals an inherent prejudice in the very basis of the program.

All those factors combined, along with this administration's track record when dealing with security issues such as this, lead me to believe that this idea is likely to fail and quite possibly, ultimately do more harm than good.
You realize the article was meant to be humorous, right?
Chuck
___

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You realize the article was meant to be humorous, right?
Sigh... Stop ruining my fun.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2006, 09:36 PM

Sorry. That's how I roll, you know?
Chuck
___

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
I dunno, but then again, I'm not the one who posted it here.
This forum lacks a sense of humor. Thought I'd try and help give it one.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2006, 01:43 AM

Don't cast your funny pearls before humorless swine.
Chuck
___

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 02:08 AM

The comments on that blog are a pretty sad commentary on how some folks simply are incapable of spotting humor and take everything litterally way too seriously- even after the obvious is all but spoon fed to them.

I pretty much have to agree with the poster who commented: "If it took you more than a few sentences to realize this was fake, then you are too stupid to participate in our society."

marden
Baninated
Oct 9, 2006, 10:19 AM

FAZE/PHASE

ā€œFazeā€ means to embarrass or disturb, but is almost always used in the negative sense, as in ā€œthe fact that the overhead projector bulb was burned out didnā€™t faze her.ā€ ā€œPhaseā€ is a noun or verb having to do with an aspect of something. ā€œHeā€™s just going through a temperamental phase.ā€ ā€œTheyā€™re going to phase in the new accounting procedures gradually.ā€ Unfortunately, Star Trek has confused matters by calling its ray pistols phasers. Too bad they arenā€™t fazers instead.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/faze.html

marden
Baninated
Oct 9, 2006, 10:25 AM

Try figuring out what is funny, first. In your posts the exclamation, "Bush suxx" seems to meet your definition of intellectual profundity. Your sense of humor appears to be equally refined.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 11:35 AM

Try figuring out what is funny, first. In your posts the exclamation, "Bush suxx" seems to meet your definition of intellectual profundity. Your sense of humor appears to be equally refined.
I thought a RepubliKKKan would appreciate taking attention away from the obvious incompetence of GOP leadership.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 11:48 AM

Classy.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 11:50 AM

you know it.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 12:08 PM

It is amazing how many people commenting on that blog don't get that it's a parody.

Very funny one at that.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 12:12 PM

i thought it was darn funny and a little pathetic.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 02:51 PM

Well, if you're ever in Albany, you should try Sophia Cafe. It's on Solano at Masonic. In SF, try the Oasis Grill. It's on Drumm at, I think, Sacramento, right across the street from EC 3.
Thanks for the tips, I will be sure to look those up next time I'm in those areas.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
It is amazing how many people commenting on that blog don't get that it's a parody.
Sad, isn't it? They did studies last year that proved Americans are three times more gullible than Europeans.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 09:42 AM

Just to be safe or for sh!ts and giggles when shopping at Safeway I use the phone number
408-867-5309
Let the government arrest Jenny.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2006, 09:49 AM

Which shop, which street?

I usually go to one just off kikar Dizengoff near the fountain.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 10, 2006, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by OSX Abuser
Just to be safe or for sh!ts and giggles when shopping at Safeway I use the phone number
408-867-5309
Let the government arrest Jenny.
You have no idea the trouble the band caused by using that number. Thanks for perpetuating that annoyance to the holder of the phone number.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks
You have no idea the trouble the band caused by using that number. Thanks for perpetuating that annoyance to the holder of the phone number.
I know all about it. I grew up in Saratoga, CA 408-867-**** Went to Argonaut elementary school
with a girl who happened to have that number.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Which shop, which street?

I usually go to one just off kikar Dizengoff near the fountain.
You know, I don't actually know the name of it. It's on Ebn Gvirol about 100 feet from the corner with Jabotinsky. There's some kind of clothing store on the corner and it's just past that.

art_director  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by OSX Abuser
I know all about it. I grew up in Saratoga, CA 408-867-**** Went to Argonaut elementary school
with a girl who happened to have that number.
I too use that number when asked by customer service agents. In addition, at places like CompUSA, I use 90210 for my zip code when asked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules