Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Mullahs Are Unhappy

Mullahs Are Unhappy
Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2007, 02:00 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,2020401,00.html

Looks like Armaggedonjihad may be stepping on a few toes (again).

Not sure what (if anything) he (or his administration) was thinking.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2007, 03:04 PM

Good. we need more home-grown animosity against Ahmadinejad. Personally, I would like to see more of the Iranian people rise up in protest against Ahmadinejad--besides just the students and youth who hav been actively vocal again him. Let him get run out of power from within.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Good. we need more home-grown animosity against Ahmadinejad. Personally, I would like to see more of the Iranian people rise up in protest against Ahmadinejad--besides just the students and youth who hav been actively vocal again him. Let him get run out of power from within.
Ahmadinejad's domestic disapproval ratings have been high for a while (65% in the fall). His party lost badly in the last elections. I sometimes think he is more popular in the US as a lightning rod than in Iran as a president.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 06:28 AM

That's not good, it shows clearly that Iran's school-system has a pretty low intellectual level, I mean multiple-choice-questions about the cuteness/beauty of prophet Muhammad compared to Joseph? They've got to be kidding me, it's like a caricature of the US-school-system-

That is of course, if the story is true.

Taliesin

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 11:30 AM

The story is true.

I think it more likely portrays the way Muslim men in Iran view the intellectual prowess of females.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
The story is true.

I think it more likely portrays the way Muslim men in Iran view the intellectual prowess of females.
You might reduce that to the radical Muslim men in Iran... Traditionally the role of the Iranian women has been a very strong one. From what I know that's nothing the Mullahs really tried to suppress (apart from "dress" code and the male domination politics).

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2007, 07:14 PM

Or issuing the death penalty for female rape victims, perhaps? Sorry, PB, they are FAR from as reasonable as you are trying to portray them.

Funny how facts bite you in the ass sometimes, huh?
"That Others May Live"

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 01:58 AM

What the heck is a Mullah? Isn't that some kind of red neck hair cut?

Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 07:07 AM

Or issuing the death penalty for female rape victims, perhaps? Sorry, PB, they are FAR from as reasonable as you are trying to portray them.

Funny how facts bite you in the ass sometimes, huh?
Uhhhmm. no, that's not funny.
But what you describe can happen in any god-forsaken muslim driven village in the islamic world, that is nothing exclusively "iranian".

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 11:00 AM

Um - the thread is about the Iranians, then you posted that Iranian women have "traditionally held a strong role" - yeah - a strong role as victims.

Want some ketchup for that crow?
"That Others May Live"

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 12:13 PM

Um - the thread is about the Iranians, then you posted that Iranian women have "traditionally held a strong role" - yeah - a strong role as victims.

Want some ketchup for that crow?
Dude, I have been to a number of muslim countries, including Iran. Please don't lecture me with some CNN snippet knowledge. Talk to Iranian women, I bet only few would see themselves as victims. No, I don't think everything is fine there, but your description fits much better to Saudi-Arabia or parts of Afghanistan.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 01:53 PM

Oh NO!!

The "I've been there, shut up" argument!

LMAO!

Clueless while present is more like it.

Tell ya what, why don't YOU talk to Iranian women?

Women, Peace & Security News: Iran
"That Others May Live"

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 04:25 PM

Oh NO!!
The "I've been there, shut up" argument!
LMAO!
Clueless while present is more like it.
Tell ya what, why don't YOU talk to Iranian women?
Women, Peace & Security News: Iran
Errrrr.... stop putting words into my mouth, thankyouverymuch.

I can say that I have first hand knowledge of country and people and yes I talked to Iranian (business) women. The country has a general proverty problem and a general human rights problem, but rather not a general anti-woman problem. Iran is not built from Arabic culture, they come from the Persian background.
I'm not a big fan of Wikipedian accuracy, but this sums it up quite well:
"Iranian women's movement involves the Iranian women's experience of modernism, through which the concept of "Modern Iranian woman" and its associated art, science, literature, poetry, and political structures have been evolving since the 19th century. Iranian women account for a remarkable fraction of intellectual circles in Iran and consequently played roles in forming Iranian identity in modern time.

During last few decades Iranian women had significant presence in Iran's scientific movement, art movement, literary new wave and new wave of Iranian cinema. According to the research ministry of Iran, about 6% of full professors, 8% of associate professors, and 14% of assistant professors were women in the 1998-99 academic year. However, women accounted for 56% of all students in the natural sciences, including one in five Ph.D. students.[1]"

Links:
Iranian women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Persian women's movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards
PB
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 10:28 AM

Oh gee, Wikipedia, the most unreliable source on the Intarweb!

LMAO!

Funyy, two little Wikipedia entries make all the stonings, hangings, and beatings go away completely for you.

Sorry, I'll take empirical fact over user-based propaganda every day.
"That Others May Live"

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 06:46 PM

Oh gee, Wikipedia, the most unreliable source on the Intarweb!
LMAO!
Funyy, two little Wikipedia entries make all the stonings, hangings, and beatings go away completely for you.
Sorry, I'll take empirical fact over user-based propaganda every day.
Again, stop putting words into my mouth. Your discussion "style" leaves much to be desired.
You would find enough information with less, err, proper gander if you'd invest some minutes.
I even pointed you to the background basics. Probably too much work, who knows.

Regards
PB.

PS. "LMAO! LMAO!" Whatever, kid.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 11:45 AM

Please point out the words I put nto your mouth - I made a statement to counter your post, that's all.

Save the "kid" for someone who is not quite probably older than you.
"That Others May Live"

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2007, 02:28 PM

An enlightening documentary on Iran can be found here: Rageh Inside Iran - Google Video

It explores the complexities of Iranian society rather than elite level politics. The way society manoeuvres around the formal restrictions imposed by the state is examined quite skilfully.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2007, 01:52 PM

Please point out the words I put nto your mouth - I made a statement to counter your post, that's all.

Save the "kid" for someone who is not quite probably older than you.
-> That I have been there, so you'd have to shut up
-> That the Wiki texts would make all the stonings, hangings etc. go away for me.

Oh, and no way you're 40 years old.

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Macrobat  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 01:05 PM

47, soon to be 48, actually.

And neither of those qualify as "putting words in your mouth."

Perhaps remedials are in order?
"That Others May Live"

Forum Links
Forum Rules