Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2012 Olympics: who will win?

View Poll Results: 2012 Olympics: who will win?
Poll Options:
New York City 11 votes (17.19%)
Paris 26 votes (40.63%)
London 17 votes (26.56%)
Moscow 5 votes (7.81%)
Madrid 5 votes (7.81%)
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll
2012 Olympics: who will win? (Page 2)
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 30, 2005, 11:09 AM

I'm with you WD. I would love to see Chicago make a bid, but they were too busy building the USLESS MILLENIUM PARK.. What a waste!~ 475,000,000 dollars.... sick.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/...ilding/295.php

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2005, 05:25 AM

New York doesn't stand a chance. Their bid is inferior, they got bust by the IOC breaking the rules and they don't have an Olympic stadium or as much support from the locals as Madrid, London, Paris or Moscow. I don't think they're in the running anymore. Nor is Moscow. It's between Paris, London and Madrid in that order I think.

I like the Paris bid for four reasons. First, they spent less ($33m) on the bid than either London ($55m) or New York ($50m). Second, they didn't try to sweeten the bid after the close like London and NY did against the rules. Third, they have a "no white elephants policy" that has resulted in a lot of temporary structures being planned for events that aren't that popular. For example, they're planning a temporary beach volleyball stadium on the Champs de Mars (next to the Eiffel Tower) that will be dismantled after the event. The temporary stadia they build these days are aesthetically very pleasing and a far better expenditure of resources than a permanent venue that sits unutilised. Look at all of the white elephants Greece has - the sailing venue is fenced off and decaying under military guard! Paris is aiming to keep new infrastructure to a minimum and I think that's a good idea. Finally, I like the way Paris has spent bid money on the local populace arranging all of the sporting events that have happened so far. The conversion of the Champs Elysees was a great idea and people here really do support the bid.

Still, I think it is going to cause havoc with transport and accomodation and I can see lots of interruption between now and 2012. I'd be just as happy if Paris didn't get it.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 1, 2005, 10:01 AM

Madrid was lower than New York in the Standings.

Paris didn't get caught trying to sweeten the bid. They all do it. Wake up dude.

I would be just happier than you if suckhole Paris didn't get it as well.
If not NY, then LONDON. Spain and Paris don't deserve it.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 1, 2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Funny, wasn’t it the US that supplied Iraq with its original supply of “Weapons of mass destruction” during the Iraq Iran conflict....
Yes, yes we did.

But at the time there was no worldwide ban set by the UN that said no one was to sell Iraq weapons like there was when France did it.

Big difference.

What we did wasn't illegal.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 07:56 AM

LONDON!

I'm very happy with that, as I will very likley be living there at the time.

Amazing!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 07:59 AM

Amazing, indeed. Congrats to London. I'm sure it'll be a spectaular Games.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 08:03 AM

Up yours Chirac!

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 08:06 AM

I think they should make getting to the arena an event in 2012 because with the state of the London Underground it's going to be one hell of a task, worthy of a medal.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 08:12 AM

merde

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs
LONDON!

I'm very happy with that, as I will very likley be living there at the time.

Amazing!
Have you ever lived in London? I'm happy it ISN'T going to be in Paris because I live here. London has quite possibly the worst public transport system of any of the 5 finalist cities - including Moscow. I agree with lbk, unless something major changes, you will deserve a medal for getting to an event on time using public transport in London.

And if you're living there, you are going to have major difficulties getting to work and back during the games.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
merde
Much as I'm happy Paris didn't get it, my reasons are pretty selfish. I think they had an excellent bid with some sane choices having been made in regard to white elephants etc. They also had far more support from the local population than London has. One wonders what they have to do to get the games; this being the third attempt. I guess one thing that they could have avoided was the public transport strike that happened during the IOC visit.

nath
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 08:34 AM

I live in East London.

Looking forward to the improved transport system.
Looking forward to the look on Chirac's face at the G8 summit.

Not looking forward to my next Council Tax bill.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
I'm with you WD. I would love to see Chicago make a bid, but they were too busy building the USLESS MILLENIUM PARK.. What a waste!~ 475,000,000 dollars.... sick.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.info/...ilding/295.php
475 million? thats it? I think Boston has you beat. He currently have the most expesive road project ever going at about 15 billion as of now I think. Can't wait for it finish...
AXP
ΔΣΦ

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Troll
Have you ever lived in London? I'm happy it ISN'T going to be in Paris because I live here. London has quite possibly the worst public transport system of any of the 5 finalist cities - including Moscow. I agree with lbk, unless something major changes, you will deserve a medal for getting to an event on time using public transport in London.

And if you're living there, you are going to have major difficulties getting to work and back during the games.
London's public transport is pretty good as it goes everywhere - the Paris metro may be more efficient but that's because there are far fewer stations, and the NY system is impenetrable. By 2012 I'm sure the Underground will be much improved in reliability. Most of its problems come from people trying to commit suicide or the drivers unions going on strike. Hopefully new lines will be automated and will have those doors on the platform like on the Jubilee line.

Still, awesome news - I really didn't expect us to get it! I almost feel sorry for the French, but then I think about wiping the smile off Chriac's face!

Good to see the MacNN prediction put NY on the same footing as London! Patriotism and wild optimism will only get you so far I'm afraid guys. It was knocked out only after Moscow.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 08:48 AM

I only live about 30 minutes away from London now, all my family live there, and I go there regularly. I will probably be doing a post graduate study in London during this time. the transport system isn't as bad as people say, and I have used it extensively. I have often had to rely on it's transport and haven't been failed yet, and things are only going to get better. As much as I hate travelling on them, the underground is generally very reliable, and now the olympics will be here, more money will be poured into the transport system. It will do wonders for the local economy, regenerate an unpleasent area of london, and the atmosphere and cultural benefits are huge. As a writer there will be lots of insperation brought along by the games.

London is a wonderful place, I'm happy to come from there, and look forward to moving there in a few months. It's cultural diversity is second to none, and I just love the place, and the games will help the city even more. also I'm probably going to try and go and see some of the events (hopefully some swiming events). 2012 will be a great Olympic games im sure.

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2005, 08:48 AM

Nice one, just hope some of the wealth from the games spreads around the country and isnt all focused in London - quick note to our Usa cousins - not all us Brits live in London!!

Hope Mr Blair sticks it to Chirac now

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2005, 08:50 AM

Congrats to London. I'm a bit surprised; I expected it to come down to a choice between Paris and London (which it did), but I thought Paris would win in that match-up. In any case, it will be interesting to see how things go in 2012.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Most of its problems come from people trying to commit suicide or the drivers unions going on strike....
...and the multiple signal failures. And the track defects. And the fact that the trains haven't been replaced/checked over for several hundred years. If London's trains had to take the MOT, the transport system would be non-existent.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by nath
I live in East London.

Looking forward to the improved transport system.
Looking forward to the look on Chirac's face at the G8 summit.

Not looking forward to my next Council Tax bill.
but looking forward to house prices going up

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by willed
London's public transport is pretty good as it goes everywhere - the Paris metro may be more efficient but that's because there are far fewer stations.
You've got it backwards. Paris has 363 metro stations (metro + RER) to London's 254. And the Paris underground serves much more of Paris than the Underground serves in London. The 297 metro (only) stations are spread out over 213km of rail as opposed to London's 273 stations spread out over 408km of rail.

The Paris metro transports roughly 6 million people per day compared to the Underground's 3 million. A ticket on the Paris Metro costs €1.40 compared to €1.92 on the London Underground. I've lived in both cities and there's no doubt that the Paris metro is streaks ahead of the London Underground. That said, London's is older and bigger.

Hopefully they will fix up the Tube for the Olympics. That and find a way to make the city more affordable so that people can actually afford to come.

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 10:03 AM

I don't live in London, but I have to say I'm pretty pleased. I live 45 mins away by train, and so will be trying to get tickets when that comes around, but more than anything we're sticking one to Mr Chirac....
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 10:10 AM

Good choice!!!!!!

London Rocks.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by as2
I don't live in London, but I have to say I'm pretty pleased. I live 45 mins away by train, and so will be trying to get tickets when that comes around, but more than anything we're sticking one to Mr Chirac....
I'm not sure that last part is fair. Chirac is just the President. No one's really sticking anything to him. If anyone's getting sticked here it's Delanoe (the mayor) and the other's involved in the bid.

osxisfun
Jul 6, 2005, 11:10 AM

I'm not sure that last part is fair. Chirac is just the President. No one's really sticking anything to him. If anyone's getting sticked here it's Delanoe (the mayor) and the other's involved in the bid.

Troll, you are forgetting, this america 2005... if the powers that be say "france sucks" then the lemmings must follow...

thank god the congressman that changed the name of "French Fries" to "Freedom Fries" has seen the light and admitted that both the french fry thing and the Iraq war was wrong..

http://thinkprogress.org/index.php?p=968

nath
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 11:11 AM

No, no, no. He's been sticking it to the UK recently, now it's time for him to Bend Over....

widget : widget
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
Good choice!!!!!!

London Rocks.
Amen!
widget : widget
icons + design :: macintosh + windows
magnum opus :: every piece of apple hardware ever made

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 11:26 AM

You've got it backwards. Paris has 363 metro stations (metro + RER) to London's 254. And the Paris underground serves much more of Paris than the Underground serves in London. The 297 metro (only) stations are spread out over 213km of rail as opposed to London's 273 stations spread out over 408km of rail.

The Paris metro transports roughly 6 million people per day compared to the Underground's 3 million. A ticket on the Paris Metro costs €1.40 compared to €1.92 on the London Underground. I've lived in both cities and there's no doubt that the Paris metro is streaks ahead of the London Underground. That said, London's is older and bigger.

Hopefully they will fix up the Tube for the Olympics. That and find a way to make the city more affordable so that people can actually afford to come.
Oh - if that's all true, I stand corrected. From personal expierience (visiting London regularly but never living there) I've found the tube to be 'good enough' but certainly not great. My experience of the Paris Metro was coloured somewhat when, the last time I was there in January, someone just started pissing up against the inside of the station! Bloody French!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by PacHead
I assume that whoever wins the bid, will be the city that has paid the most in bribes to the many crooks and blackmailers at the IOC, a notoriously corrupt organisation, that has been stealing for decades. The members basically travel around from place to place demanding money, gifts and other perks.
Who is more corrupt? The person who accepts the bribes or the person who offers the bribes?

nath
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Who is more corrupt? The person who accepts the bribes or the person who offers the bribes?

Funny how this question never gets raised when elements on the right raise corruption in Africa as a reason not to raise aid...

[oops, wrong forum ]

budster101
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 11:41 AM

Better than LONDON than Spain or France with poopy underpants.

IBL

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 12:06 PM

Better than LONDON than Spain or France with poopy underpants.

IBL
child

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 01:07 PM

Congrats to London ! Anything, and I mean anything is better than Paris, so I am happy, though I don't really care much for the Olympics to begin with. Mogadishu or even Bagdhad would have been preferable to Paris. Anything that makes Chirac look like more of an ass is fine with me. When in London, the French athletes should be served haggis every single day, since I hear they are extremely fond of such dishes.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 01:13 PM

I was at the IOC meetings. Seems London really stepped up and showed their stuff. Now, to see if they can get it all done in time but I'm glad. I actually liked their presentation the best. Paris was good. New York's wasn't bad but it was missing something. Moscow and Madrid were just messes.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 01:31 PM

Anything, and I mean anything is better than Paris,
Just out of curiosity; why? Do you have any reasons beyond political? Personally, I don't care much for the Olympics, and so don't really care much about where they end up being hosted. I see little difference between London and Paris as host cities.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 01:34 PM

Just out of curiosity; why? Do you have any reasons beyond political? Personally, I don't care much for the Olympics, and so don't really care much about where they end up being hosted. I see little difference between London and Paris as host cities.
Nope, mostly political reasons. I consider the French the enemy, right behind Al-Qaeda, but since this is not the PL, I won't get into all of that.

nath
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 01:48 PM

I consider the French the enemy, right behind Al-Qaeda

budster101
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 01:51 PM

I hpe they tank at the Olympics. (The Frenchemy)

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 02:17 PM

Rule Britannia!

ambush
Banned
Jul 6, 2005, 02:34 PM

quoted for emphasis.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 03:11 PM

I consider the French the enemy, right behind Al-Qaeda,
wow

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 07:55 PM

A majority of them do come across as being very arrogant, like popping the Champaign corks before the results are out etc. I can't imagine the Brits doing that.

I have to do business with French people everyday and they are different. I can look at a case study on our management system (identified only by number) and pick a french person a mile off. No other nationality is as easy to identify.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 11:38 PM

Ooohhh, but you should have seen the faces of the French delegation after it was announced that London got the bid.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 11:45 PM

That must have been priceless. Pics?

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 11:56 PM

That must have been priceless. Pics?
This is how London reacted:

This is how Paris reacted:

budster101
Baninated
Jul 6, 2005, 11:58 PM

Priceless. I'm very happy for London.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 12:21 AM

Fantastic!

check this out, I found it funny.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...requestid=4535
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Jul 7, 2005 at 12:52 AM. )

ironknee  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 12:51 AM

i'm happy, without surprise, that nyc didn't get it

budster101
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 01:05 AM

I heard that most New Yorkers were happy about it... and only the elite of NY wanted it, such as Hillary Clinton etc.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 04:49 AM

Good job the IOC already made their decision! Or is it?!

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by lil'babykitten

Good job the IOC already made their decision! Or is it?!
Thank goodness that happened AFTER the vote! They've shut down the whole tube network!

Forum Links
Forum Rules