Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > **Terrorsist Attacks on London**

**Terrorsist Attacks on London**
Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:29 AM

6 underground stations have been hit by blasts
Several buses have also been blown apart
More news coming in right now

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:31 AM

Several buses? where? I heard one exploded at Russell Square.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:33 AM

Sky News reported 3 busses blown up.
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:36 AM

BBC link

No proof it's terrorists yet, but so many explosions in different parts of the city suggests it's not an accident...
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2005, 05:37 AM

Bit premature to call it a terrorist attack.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:39 AM

The multiple explosions at the tube stations can be explained by the apparent power surge but that doesn't account for the exploding busses.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:39 AM

reports are coming in that the London Police and Scotland Yard are calling this a major incident. A bus was "ripped apart" so the powersurge claim that was originally is unlikely.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Amorya
BBC link

No proof it's terrorists yet, but so many explosions in different parts of the city suggests it's not an accident...
Originally Posted by Randman
Bit premature to call it a terrorist attack.
Both true. But I am with Amorya on this one . . . multiple simultaneous "power surges" on the Underground that can blow up a bus above ground seem quite suspicious.

I'll reserve judgment until more details come in. Here on the East Coast of the US (currently 05:40 EDT, 09:40 GMT) there is no other online news coverage online as of yet.

Methinks if this *is*a terrorist attack it has something to do with the Olympic announcement yesterday. Which means there might be/might have been sleeper cells in Paris and New York as well, waiting to make a "statement" about the awarding of the Olympics to a host city.

Will wait and see what happens before getting up an alarm.

PS: LBK and the other Brits on here . . . Be Careful today!
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:45 AM

There was a bomb in a litter bin in russel square and also on a bus that blew the roof off.

Funny kind of power surge, effecting diesel busses and litter bins.

No report of deaths yet, although CNN have someone claiming multiply bodies on a tube line, lots of injuries, some life threatening.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Methinks if this *is*a terrorist attack it has something to do with the Olympic announcement yesterday. Which means there might be/might have been sleeper cells in Paris and New York as well, waiting to make a "statement" about the awarding of the Olympics to a host city.

Much more likely to be G8 meeting in Scotland.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:50 AM

A guy on CNN dropped AlQ into the conversation...
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Super Mario
Jul 7, 2005, 05:50 AM

This is bad ****. Some ****ers might have done something to the train network to make people take the bus and then target the buses. **** man!

threestain
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:51 AM

there have been reports of fatalities. bus was ripped apart. apparently (from friends of friends) there's a big hole in edgware road, and people (i.e. walking wounded) are being cordoned off inside station. Mary's (hospital near edgware) is turfing out people off wards to make room.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
PS: LBK and the other Brits on here . . . Be Careful today!
Yeah, I was needing to travel through Liverpool st later today, guess I won't be doing that!
Relative at work in Russell Square says she heard a loud bang - must have been the bus. They are being told they might have to evacuate the building.

Power surge, my ass.

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2005, 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=dcmacdaddy Here on the East Coast of the US (currently 05:40 EDT, 09:40 GMT) there is no other online news coverage online as of yet.

PS: LBK and the other Brits on here . . . Be Careful today![/QUOTE]

Ditto on the be careful!

2:50 AM PST here. The satellite networks are covering it on TV;
but details seem very sketchy.
I thought we had a bunch of Brits...hmmmm, my bad.

Their transportation secretary; "the ultimate nightmare coming
into play."
Terribly sad news.
God Bless, all.
P~

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 05:58 AM

90 casualties so far.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:58 AM

Apparently there are bombs around Luton and at Luton airport??? Police are keeping everyone stuck in buildings and off the street in Central London

Reported from a friend on IM

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 05:59 AM

90 Fatalities or injuries??

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:01 AM

Wikipedia article on the explosions

On July 7, 2005, explosions were reported at various London Underground stations in central London, specifically Aldgate (at 08:49 local time, in London's rush hour), Edgware Road, King's Cross St Pancras, Old Street and Russell Square tube station.

An explosion on a tourist bus between Tavistock Square and Russell Square area has been confirmed. They were initially attributed to power surges, but rumours have indicated the possible existence of "at least one explosive device". At least 90 casualties have been reported, but no dead have been officially confirmed, although reports of severed limbs and bodies exist. Hospitals have been placed on alert, with casualties being taken to St Mary's Hospital, Paddington. Reports of explosions on two other buses at Aldgate East and Edgware Road have now been confirmed.

There have also been reports of an explosion on Houndsditch in the City of London, near Liverpool Street station.

The stations do not share the same line (Russell Square and King's Cross are adjacent on the Piccadilly Line, Old Street is on the Northern Line, and the others, as well as King's Cross are all on the Circle Line). The National Grid has said it has detected no problems with the power network.

CNN began to speculate that the co-ordinated nature of the explosions seemed to suggest that Al Qaeda or related group type attack, or could be connected to groups opposing the 2005 G8 summit.

The incidents led to the immediate evacuation of many stations and much of the City of London, as well as the complete shut-down of the London Underground network. Roads near the affected stations were closed off, severely affecting road traffic. Mainline services into London stations Euston, Paddington and King's Cross are terminating outside the city.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:02 AM

another explosion near liverpool st.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:05 AM

Apparently the mobile phone network seems to have gone down with the surge in traffic.

Overall the emergency services seem to be handling things well, putting into action a lot of the planning done after the New York attacks.

[My parents were on their way to London this morning, but luckily this happened just after they got on the train and so will be returning shortly].

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:05 AM

reports of a train crash at Kings Cross.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by lil'babykitten

What radio/TV station you listening too?

Super Mario
Jul 7, 2005, 06:09 AM

It was the French.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2005, 06:10 AM

Seems two trains have collided, according to the BBC.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey
What radio/TV station you listening too?
Watching BBC coverage, occasionally Sky News.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:13 AM

At I type, the BBC are talking of 20+ people dead so far

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:13 AM

Sky news. The FOX news of the UK.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:14 AM

Watching BBC coverage, occasionally Sky News.
Cheers, Satellite TV is bust here, having to listen to LBC on the radio.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
Sky news. The FOX news of the UK.

cheers

W-Y
Yup, but I can't stand one of the reporters they've got on the BBC right now.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 7, 2005, 06:15 AM

Why would there be speculation that it was because of the G8? Isn't that in Scotland this week?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:17 AM

My condolences and support to the British.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:17 AM

The army is in.

G8 speculation is possibly because police attention was focussed on Edinburgh, and so hitting London would be more of a surprise and cause more media impact.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Why would there be speculation that it was because of the G8? Isn't that in Scotland this week?
I smiled to myself when I heard that speculation! Oh it may well be that the explosions were caused by some nutty terrorist protestors against the G8 summit.. but that summit is in another country.

This fits the m.o. of our muslim fundamentalist nutcase terrorists much better. Of course it is to early to tell. Perhaps Tony blair will blame the IRA? (like the fool Aznar blamed ETA)

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

vexborg
Senior User
Jul 7, 2005, 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=Krypton]Apparently the mobile phone network seems to have gone down with the surge in traffic.[QUOTE]

I can confirm that the mobile phone network is down, because we have to dispatch engineers in and around London, and we simply can't reach any of them!
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:24 AM

I smiled to myself when I heard that speculation! Oh it may well be that the explosions were caused by some nutty terrorist protestors against the G8 summit.. but that summit is in another country.

This fits the m.o. of our muslim fundamentalist nutcase terrorists much better. Of course it is to early to tell. Perhaps Tony blair will blame the IRA? (like the fool Aznar blamed ETA)

cheers

W-Y
Unfortunately that's the most likely scenario

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:24 AM

Looks like they have shut down 2 stations in Swindon and Brighton now too... this is awful.

I have loads of friends in London and grew up there... I was only commenting earlier that yesterday was the first day there was a genuinely positive vibe there for years.

Terrible, terrible news

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:25 AM

[QUOTE=vexborg][QUOTE=Krypton]Apparently the mobile phone network seems to have gone down with the surge in traffic.

I can confirm that the mobile phone network is down, because we have to dispatch engineers in and around London, and we simply can't reach any of them!
There was speculation on the radio just now that the bombs on the underground were detonated remotely by mobile phones, so they have shut down the phone network... not sure how much credence can be given to this though...

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 7, 2005, 06:27 AM

If American got attacked because of it's policies. Why did this happen?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:28 AM

Scotland Yard said explosions have been reported at Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate.

from the BBC

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2005, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by vexborg
Originally Posted by Krypton
Apparently the mobile phone network seems to have gone down with the surge in traffic.
Yeah, I've been trying to contact friends I have in London and nothing is getting through. Worrying stuff.

It's heartening to see how well this situation has been handled thus far. Well done to all the emergency services personnel involved
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2005, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
FFS can't you wait to bring politics into this until after the facts are in and after the hospitals have treated the wounded!??!

vexborg
Senior User

Ok, according to BBC News, the events were as follows:

1055 A doctor tells Reuters there are at least 90 casualties at Aldgate station

1053 Home Secretary Charles Clarke makes a statement outside Downing Street about "dreadful incidents" causing "terrible injuries". He says Prime Minister Tony Blair has been informed and advises the public in London not to make unneccessary journeys

1049 Police say there are serious casualties, but no deaths are confirmed, Associated Press reports

1025 The BBC's Andrew Marr, with the prime minister in Gleneagles, says Number 10 is "still unsure" whether the explosions are a terrorist attack

1023 confirmed explosion on a bus in Tavistock Place

1021 Scotland Yard reports "multiple explosions" in London, the Press Association reports

1014 An eyewitness tells PA that a bus has been ripped apart in an explosion in central London

1009 Witness Christina Lawrence, who was on a train leaving Kings Cross, tells BBC News 24: "There was a loud bang in the tunnel and the train just stopped and all of a sudden it was filled with black, gassy smoke and we couldn't breathe"

1002 Scotland Yard says it is dealing with a "major incident"

0940 British Transport Police say power surge incidents have occurred on the Underground at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations

0933London Underground reports "another incident at Edgware Road" station, PA reports

0933 Passengers are told that all London Underground services are being suspended because of a power fault across the network, PA reports

0924 British Transport Police say the incident was possibly caused by a collision between two trains, a power cut or a power cable exploding. Police report "walking wounded"

0915 Press Association reports emergency services called to London's Liverpool Street Station after reports of an explosion

0849 An incident on the Metropolitan Line between Liverpool Street and Aldgate is reported to British Transport Police
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Warung
Mac Elite

Because of the UK's policies?

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:32 AM

Who committed it? Where are they now and what do they want?

(other questions you will not find an answer to on teh intarweb)

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2005, 06:33 AM

Who committed it? Where are they now and what do they want?

(other questions you will not find an answer to on teh intarweb)

cheers

W-Y
Fecking hell. The Beeb have just announced that it's very likely to have been Al Qaeda.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:34 AM

You reap what you sow. You can't go around the world invading and bombing other countries without expecting to be hit yourself.

A song we used to sing as kids in Glasgow was this: "IRA all the way. **** the Queen and the UDA".
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2005, 06:35 AM

It's far too early to speculate who is responsible, but as many have pointed out this week held a lot of political significance.

Kevin
Baninated

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
FFS can't you wait to bring politics into this until after the facts are in and after the hospitals have treated the wounded!??!
No politics. I am just curious.

Please stop spazzing and over-reacting.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite

To all of you in UK now, be safe!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules