Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best way to install a new drive and restore? ...

Best way to install a new drive and restore? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2012, 04:18 PM

Loving my new Mac Mini. Lots of data on the included 500GB internal drive now, and Carbonite is backing-up things for the next couple of days.

I just got an SSD and later this week would like to install it in the Mini. I'll take the internal 500GB drive and place it in a USB enclosure,

What I'm wondering about is how to do the swap? I do have a 1TB USB drive sitting here. Do you I first make a clone of the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, saved to the 1TB drive? If so, how do I then get that image onto the newly installed SSD once it's in the Mini?

I've never done this before, I apologize if it's simply in practice. ;-)

And what is the preferred tool for this? Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

P
Nov 6, 2012, 12:23 AM

Assuming the USB drive is correctly formatted (GUID partition table, HFS+ partition), the easiest thing is to clone the entire boot drive to the USB drive and then reboot from the USB to check that it works. Then do the hardware installation, boot from the USB again, format the SSD and clone back. Note that this won't include the recovery partition, but a new Mac mini can always use internet recovery anyway. Restoring the recovery partition will require you to reinstall the OS (from the App Store)

Personally I always used CCC, which worked fine. I'm sure either program would work, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2012, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Assuming the USB drive is correctly formatted (GUID partition table, HFS+ partition), the easiest thing is to clone the entire boot drive to the USB drive and then reboot from the USB to check that it works. Then do the hardware installation, boot from the USB again, format the SSD and clone back. Note that this won't include the recovery partition, but a new Mac mini can always use internet recovery anyway. Restoring the recovery partition will require you to reinstall the OS (from the App Store)
Personally I always used CCC, which worked fine. I'm sure either program would work, though.
Perfect, thanks very much!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules