Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > 2022 Midterm elections (USA)

2022 Midterm elections (USA) (Page 2)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2022, 02:05 PM

My hope is they ditch Trump for DeSantis, Trump runs as an independent and splits the GOP vote in half and they get utterly obliterated. Roe V Wade becomes an amendment along with some other good stuff about guns and not rigging elections. Maybe a clause about not being allowed to run for office when you're in jail, or pardon yourself.

Are they still looking at getting DeSantis for people trafficking across state lines? I really want to see at least one western country start locking these scumbag politicians away like they deserve. Its not gonna be us sadly so you guys have to do it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Roe V Wade becomes an amendment along with some other good stuff about guns and not rigging elections.
The shortest path to this is 34 states calling for a convention, and then 25 of those states ratifying.

Not gonna happen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2022, 04:13 PM

Are they still looking at getting DeSantis for people trafficking across state lines?
Just wanted to reiterate this question.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 9, 2022, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Just wanted to reiterate this question.
I'm sorry we're talking about Kanye now, and that thing about the BAD MEAN weed-vaping basketball player WOMAN vs. the GOOD (dishonorably discharged) AMERICAN MARINE. Everyone's completely forgotten.

andi*pandi
Dec 12, 2022, 11:45 AM

I saw people arguing that, and even if he hadn't been a dishonorable mercenary, there's the difference between private citizen and someone whose job involves these risks.

Also people have completely forgotten about FL gov lying to a group of people in Texas and spending $$$$ to airlift them to someplace in MA that did not have the facilities to help them (but they helped anyway).

Well, everywhere but MA.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2022, 07:35 PM

Are they still looking at getting DeSantis for people trafficking across state lines?
As far as I can tell the only time this was formally mentioned was in the context of the White House saying “we’ll discuss it in an upcoming meeting”.

My guess is it was discussed and abandoned. This type of homeless shuffling has been happening for as long as I can remember. The only thing different about this example is it has a pretty explicit political motivation attached to it, but I don’t think that makes it illegal.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Dec 12, 2022, 07:46 PM

I think it was a decade ago when I first read about cities handing out bus tickets to homeless people. Send them somewhere they have relatives or a friend to stay with. In practice, the target city might presently give them a free bus ticket back.

Shuffling homeless people around solves the problem of course. And helps keep Greyhound in business.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2022, 08:26 PM

What I’m most familiar with is using a better climate as bait.

OreoCookie
Dec 12, 2022, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I think it was a decade ago when I first read about cities handing out bus tickets to homeless people. Send them somewhere they have relatives or a friend to stay with. In practice, the target city might presently give them a free bus ticket back.

Shuffling homeless people around solves the problem of course. And helps keep Greyhound in business.
Yeah, the practice isn't new. Italy did the same with migrants sometime in the late 2000s/early 2010s (don't remember precisely when): they'd process the people and give them one-way train tickets out of Italy. While this was a dork move, I perfectly understood their motivation: most of the other countries (precisely those that did not border the Mediterranean Sea) insisted on EU rules that the country where migrants first arrive is the one where they had to be processed. Germany, the Netherlands and others insisted on that and just thought to themselves “Italy, sucks to be you!”

But as far I understand, the situation is different in the US: I don't think migrants who e. g. legally apply for asylum are not forced to stay in the state where they first arrive, correct?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2022, 07:42 AM

It is different, because freedom of movement is a thing here. However, I imagine inertia causes similar results.

OreoCookie
Dec 13, 2022, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
It is different, because freedom of movement is a thing here. However, I imagine inertia causes similar results.
Freedom of movement is also a thing in the EU. In fact, it is one of the cornerstones. However, it applies only to people who are legally in the EU, and to become a legal resident, the current rules are (unfairly) that they have to wait until the asylum proceedings have been processed in the country of arrival.

I think this is highly problematic for many reasons (we can go into them, but it'd sidetrack the discussion), my point was just that freedom of movement (for legal residents) is the reason why movement is restricted if that makes sense. (A lot of EU member countries are, hmmm, less than thrilled about immigration, and freedom of movement would mean that, well, they'd be free to move to “their” country.)

Freedom of movement is really a godsend for me and my family. Basically, it means I won't have any visa issues with my wife ever if we lived in the EU.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2022, 11:13 AM

All animals are free to move but some are more free to move than others.

OreoCookie
Dec 15, 2022, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
All animals are free to move but some are more free to move than others.
Yes. Some people are more equal than others.

There are a lot of ways in which immigrants and residents are not treated equally. I don’t want to be too What-About-ist here, but visitors and residents in most countries (including the US) do have quite a few severe restrictions in what they are and aren’t allowed to do. E. g. US immigration may ask immigrants to supply them with all the access info for their social media accounts they have used within the last 5 years. US immigration is also infamous for blacklisting or flagging people with no reliable recourse. A Canadian colleague of mine reliably gets pulled out for special inspections after he got into an argument with a US customs officer. I was nearly flagged 15 years ago through no fault of my own (the immigration officer put my in the wrong visa category in the computer and entered the wrong return date; had he not borked up my passport I would have never found out and “overstayed” my visa). When the pandemic broke out in Japan, had I left the country in the first phase, I would not have been able to re-enter even though I am a permanent resident. In practice, though, neither my wife nor I are encumbered, though: we both come from wealthy countries with “good” passports. Still, immigration procedures can be super invasive, especially if you are a PoC or so. If you are gay and you e. g. come from a country where same-sex couples cannot get married (e. g. Japan), then many countries’ immigration policies leave you out to dry. (Canada is a positive example here, its immigration law recognizes common law relationships.)

Let me return to the EU. Many aspects of Europe’s treatment of immigrants and refugees is despicable and worthy of lots of criticism. Although IMHO the most shameful bits are policies that prevent migrants and refugees from touching EU soil in the first place. The EU concluded deals with Turkey and other states that don’t have a great human rights record. On the other hand, the EU literally took in several million refugees since 2015. You can see that it has transformed many EU countries. Acceptance also varies depending on the skin color: Poland has received Ukrainian refugees with open arms even though the Polish government was hard-arse in 2015. I’d be very happy to continue criticizing EU immigration policies, but that would likely derail the thread Just like the US the EU (directly or indirectly) forces many asylum seekers to live in inhumane conditions. (Although I am not aware of instances where children were taken from their parents as a matter of policy.) How “free” are those people? I’m ashamed when I see that.

Rest assured, I more than share your criticism.

Forum Links
Forum Rules