Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I'm in Europe and I want an iPhone

I'm in Europe and I want an iPhone
The Milkman
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2007, 04:51 AM

I would really like an iPhone. And now that unlocking is possible it will work over here (at least until the next software update ).
But how will I get it? Apple won't sell one to me, I don't trust sellers on eBay plus they're generally too expensive, I don't plan on visiting the US anytime soon nor do I know anyone who is.

Any non-americans here with an iPhone? How did you get your hands on it?
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 05:04 AM

Apple WILL sell one to you.

You just have to wait a couple of weeks.

The Milkman  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2007, 05:20 AM

I'm not an optimist. Of course Apple will eventually sell iPhones over here, maybe even an updated 3G model. But when?
I'm also impatient. I feel a faint but very uncomfortable nagging pain somewhere in the vicinity of my stomach when I think of the one million happy iPhone users, when I have never seen one, let alone touched an iPhone. It is yearning, it is anticipation, it is uncertainty (about a european launch), maybe even jealousy. And I want this feeling to go away.
Who will help me get my iPhone fix?
Oscar Wilde

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Milkman View Post
I'm not an optimist. Of course Apple will eventually sell iPhones over here, maybe even an updated 3G model. But when?
I'm also impatient. I feel a faint but very uncomfortable nagging pain somewhere in the vicinity of my stomach when I think of the one million happy iPhone users, when I have never seen one, let alone touched an iPhone. It is yearning, it is anticipation, it is uncertainty (about a european launch), maybe even jealousy. And I want this feeling to go away.
Apple have OFFICIALLY announced - several times - that the iPhone will be available in Europe in Q4 2007.

They have also OFFICIALLY announced that all details - who, what, how, how much, and when - will become known by the end of THIS quarter, i.e. within the next three weeks.

The Milkman  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2007, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Apple have OFFICIALLY announced - several times - that the iPhone will be available in Europe in Q4 2007.

They have also OFFICIALLY announced that all details - who, what, how, how much, and when - will become known by the end of THIS quarter, i.e. within the next three weeks.
You're very sweet, trying to make me feel better. And even though my heart feels a bit warmer, my stomach is still just as upset.
Introspection is a beautiful thing: I just realized that the reason I want one NOW may be because for once I would like to be the coolest kid on the block

AND I'm bored/fed up with my Treo.
Oscar Wilde

kermit4161
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 09:07 AM

If you feel bad, think about those of us here in the U.S. that will never (or at least until the contract is up with AT&T) be able to use an iPhone because it is tied to a carrier that doesn't have service in our area! I'd have to move to another state in order to get one, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. At least there is light at the end of the tunnel for you (and probably a 3G version at that).
( Last edited by kermit4161; Sep 12, 2007 at 09:27 AM. )

Fred33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 09:09 AM

Yea that is the reason my wife did not get an iphone was because of the carrier. At&t is horrible and has no service anywhere.

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2007, 09:35 AM

You're very sweet, trying to make me feel better. And even though my heart feels a bit warmer, my stomach is still just as upset.
Introspection is a beautiful thing: I just realized that the reason I want one NOW may be because for once I would like to be the coolest kid on the block

AND I'm bored/fed up with my Treo.
Also just think how bad you'll feel knowing you have an outdated EDGE model whereas your cool euro-friends are sporting 3G.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 10:47 AM

I'm in Europe and I want an iPhone
Let me guess: you are an only child.

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2007, 11:13 AM

Is a couple of weeks, two weeks?
I hope so

Jan Van Boghout
Sep 12, 2007, 12:41 PM

I'm waiting for an official announcement, but I have my doubts about Apple's willingness to sell them in Belgium (where The Milkman lives too).

We have anti-bundling legislation that would force Apple to sell the iPhone completely unlocked, with only the Visual Voicemail feature as a differentiator. Most other EU member states have more limited laws that permit lock-in for a limited time. Given that Apple EU's head has made it pretty clear that they'd like to hook up with an exclusive operator, I'm not very optimistic. Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong

The Milkman  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jan Van Boghout View Post
I'm waiting for an official announcement, but I have my doubts about Apple's willingness to sell them in Belgium (where The Milkman lives too).

We have anti-bundling legislation that would force Apple to sell the iPhone completely unlocked, with only the Visual Voicemail feature as a differentiator. Most other EU member states have more limited laws that permit lock-in for a limited time. Given that Apple EU's head has made it pretty clear that they'd like to hook up with an exclusive operator, I'm not very optimistic. Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong
Exactly! When they're finally released in Europe, there's no guarantee that we'll ever see them in Belgium. I'd probably still have to buy one abroad and unlock it myself.

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Let me guess: you are an only child.
No, my brother was the spoilt one. I've got some catching up to do
Oscar Wilde

Forum Links
Forum Rules