Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > AAPL stock for christmas

AAPL stock for christmas
atarirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2000, 02:10 PM

I can't decide if this is the appropriate forum or not, but here goes....

I desperately need to find a cheap way to buy a handful of Apple stock for christmas presents. I only need about four or five shares and know nothing about investing.

I tried E*trade and Ameritech and they both want $1000.00 just to open an account. I also went to OneShare and the want to tack on an extra $40.00 for each share.

Is it me or are these options outrageous? Please help, I'm getting desperate. I will consider any suggestions wether they are online or not.

Thanks for any suggestions, and Happy Holidays to all.
Happy polly loggies me
little droogies

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2000, 03:39 PM

I think it's e-Schwab that allows new accounts with as little as $500. Once you but the stock you must request the certificates be delivered to you.

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

LY
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2000, 04:00 PM

Try thefinancialcafe.com
No minimum amt to open an acct
No fees except for limit orders

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2000, 08:05 AM

atarirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2000, 01:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am still looking around for what will suit my needs the most.

Misha, oneshare was actually my very first stop (mentioned above). The downside to their setup is that they want to attatch a $40.00 fee for every stock purchased. I don't mind paying an initial fee, but $40 for each $15 stock is hard to swallow.

Likewise, if I am only buying 5 stocks for a total of $75 then even the discount brokers minimum investment requirements of $500.00 is too steep.

Right now, BuyandHold.com seems like my best bet. $20 dollars to set up an account, but it still isn't clear to me how their process works. Seems like they want you to make compounding investments every month. And as for unloading you stock, it is never mentioned at all. Thus the name "buy" and "hold".

I hope this post doesn't start too demonstrate how cheap I am, but in my defense I am a full time student and my only income is a part time teaching position. Surely that should express how desperate my situation is.

Thanks again everyone, please keep the suggestions coming.
Happy polly loggies me
little droogies

sblunden
Dec 12, 2000, 12:43 PM

its going to be hard to find a place to buy 4 or 5 shares of a stock without paying fees of $40 or more
- s p e n c e r

atarirat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2000, 12:51 PM

I don't mind paying $40.00 in fees.

I do mind paying $40.00 per share, especialy when the stock is only $15 a share.

I'll end up paying $200.00 in fees for $75.00 of stock.

Is there really no way around this?
Happy polly loggies me
little droogies

dave in florida
Dec 15, 2000, 10:12 PM

might try posting in yahoo/apple stock chatboard: "apple stock shares wanted/will pay over market". (here's the URL: http://messages.yahoo.com/?action=q&board=AAPL

a site called 'ragingbull.com' has a similar (apple) chatboard, nearly as wild, and I'm sure there are others....

your post might find you a shareholder who 'holds' the shares' himself (possibly even who lives near you) willing to sell ya all the shares you -want- at a buck a share over that days closing price....be warned, hoewever, that you'll need to repost it frequently to get any results, otherwise, it'll 'fall off the bottom of the list' because noone reads older posts...

most online posters, though, probably have their brokers hold the shares 'in street name' (meaning the shares aren''t at their home, but elsewhere, like their brokers, or in NYC somewhere). posting at yahoo, of course, is free (and -totally- uninhibited).

all 'risks' associated with transacting the deal, of course, would be on you - take appropriate precautions...

dave, "time to time" apple shareholder and online trader (never paid to hold my OWN shares here at home, though-I trade too often)

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Dec 24, 2000, 12:10 PM

Suretrade.com

In a nutshell:
No minimum balance
$8 fee of market trades, $10 fee on limit trades.
No day trading. No other fees (except wire transfer of money)
I bought some Apple at 18, but now I'm losing. Hoping that next quarter is better, Should have waited...

check them out. A guy at work who is a real cheapskate uses it. He's also really smart, so I figured he did all the research. They haven't disappointed me yet (just my stocks!).

------------------
Dan
Michigan Lincoln & Continental Owners Club

[This message has been edited by Dan Szwarc (edited 12-24-2000).]
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2000, 12:05 AM

Uh, what about Datek Online? That's what I use, and I like it. $10 for market or limit orders. And no minimum balance I think. I bought AAPL at 21 and change, and I have lost lots of $$$.

fyre4ce
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 02:18 AM

I used oneshare to purchase single display stocks and have been pretty happy. They like to rip you off on the frames though.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Oct 16, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
Uh, what about Datek Online? That's what I use, and I like it. $10 for market or limit orders. And no minimum balance I think. I bought AAPL at 21 and change, and I have lost lots of $$$.

fyre4ce
I hope you kept it, because you would be up lots of $$$. I bought at $20.

Investments for most people should be long-term. If you're going to cut and run quickly, then stick to day trading.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 05:00 PM

One thing to ask before you set up an account is how to go about getting the actual stock certificate once you buy the stock. Standard proceedure is to credit your account with owning the stock but not sending you the certificates, rather keeping them in electronic form with the brokerage firm. If you are looking to give the stock away as a gift you should definitely tell them of your plans to do so before setting up the account.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2004, 07:50 PM

Sounds good.... but this thread is dated back in the 2000.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 09:16 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2004, 09:43 AM

I liked hearing about Apple being around $20. And the fact that you didn't have to register then. Imagine the abuse that would get now?
But it would be interesting to hear what people are using now in 2004 and not last century.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

banninated68
Banned
Oct 17, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
I hope you kept it, because you would be up lots of $$$. I bought at $20.

Investments for most people should be long-term. If you're going to cut and run quickly, then stick to day trading.
I bought mine at 18.5, and kept it for 3 ****ing years and it didn't move. Once it got to 24.5 I sold the damn things.

- Rob

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2004, 04:57 PM

Checking the date of the last post before replying to something is always a good idea.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules