Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail's reply-links are all broken

Mail's reply-links are all broken
PrettyBoyClone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 07:36 AM

I'm i the process of moving my stuff from Entourage to Mail (on panther) and have this problem I can't seem to solve.

Next to mails sent recieved in Mail, which i have replied to afterwards, there's an icon which is supposed to link to the reply. -But none of them work! Instead I get a dialog saying:
--
Error
Mail was unable to find your response to the message "bla bla". You may have deleted the message or moved it out of your Sent Messages folder.
--
-All the replies are in the Sent folder, and all are in good shape.

I rebuild each folder, which didn't change a thing.

Another thing: Whenever i get new mail, the dock icon doesn't indicate that. I did so in 10.22, so what the h is going on?

Anyone out there with similar problems or even a solution?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 08:26 AM

How are you moving your stuff from Entourage to Mail.app....

PrettyBoyClone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
How are you moving your stuff from Entourage to Mail.app....
By dragging cleaned folders from Entourage to the desktop. Then import with mail.

please note, that this problem affects new mails. I don't have the replies from the imported ones yet. (theres about 25000 of them, so i'd like to have everything in working order first)

workerbee
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by PrettyBoyClone:
I'm i the process of moving my stuff from Entourage to Mail (on panther)
Did the same thing last week, have been using Mail.app for a few days now, and have started moving everything back into Entourage today.
I'll miss Mail.app's s/mime functionality, the very clean way s/mime and pgp are included in the interface, and the nice cocoa text rendering.

However, I won't miss not being able to
- see any X-Priority indicator
- selectively delete Mails from the POP servers
- change the name of attachments while saving them (actually not even seeing their names in the dialog box)
- link to saved attachments
- delete attachments from s/mime encrypted mails (the s/mime key or signature is deleted together with the other attachments, and the message is then no longer readable)
- delete the html part of messages
as well as some other pet peeves.

Oh, and the "reply-to" icon is broken for all of mails in Mail.app, too, no matter where those are.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

PrettyBoyClone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 12:44 PM

I might have found a fix for the problem with the dock icon. Anyway, I tried to resolve all duplicates in Font Book, and now seems to work. A hint at the apple support forums pointed in that direction.

Originally posted by workerbee:
Did the same thing last week, have been using Mail.app for a few days now, and have started moving everything back into Entourage today.
I'll miss Mail.app's s/mime functionality, the very clean way s/mime and pgp are included in the interface, and the nice cocoa text rendering.

However, I won't miss not being able to
- see any X-Priority indicator
- selectively delete Mails from the POP servers
- change the name of attachments while saving them (actually not even seeing their names in the dialog box)
- link to saved attachments
- delete attachments from s/mime encrypted mails (the s/mime key or signature is deleted together with the other attachments, and the message is then no longer readable)
- delete the html part of messages
as well as some other pet peeves.

Oh, and the "reply-to" icon is broken for all of mails in Mail.app, too, no matter where those are.
Well my reason for moving is not really the features in Mail (Entourage does much more), but stability and speed. I have a Entourage DB of 1.2 GB ('bout 75,000 emails ) which has corrupted over time and this really gived me a lot of problems (besides lost mails). Mail stores each folder in its own mbox-file, which in it self should prevent any curruptions to spread like that.

I moved to ical a while ago, and partly to adress book mostly because of iSync (T610+iPod) and sms-integration, so in many ways Mail is a logical progression for me.

P.S. Did try to rebuild my Entourage DB, but no dice

P.P.S. Still having problems with the reply-links. My mailfolders are at top level, and not children under the "In"-tray. I don't know if this could be the reason, but if so, how do I move them? (drag or cut doesn't work)

Forum Links
Forum Rules