Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane: People Freaking Out

Hurricane: People Freaking Out
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 09:15 PM

We live down in the Southeast and I just went to the store for some beer and basic groceries and the store is a nightmare scene with people grabbing everything that they can grab. A truck is backed up unloading water in the store front and people are grabbing the cases of water as the guy passes them off -- and fighting each other over them. I saw one woman push another woman over and step on her.

Inside the store the shelves are picked clean of all canned goods and there is virtually nothing left. Bread, chips, all dried goods are gone. Anything not perishable is gone.

There is truly a mob mentality. The store manager said that he is closing early and getting security guards to come tomorrow to make sure that people stay safe.

One woman was actually bawling because she can't find "D" batteries anywhere.

It's truly unbelievable.

Anyone else here in Florida seeing the same things?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2004, 09:26 PM

This happens with any hurricane. I can understand the hysteria for Frances, though, because many people's homes are already destroyed or damaged from Charley, and another monster hurricane isn't going to help any. And then there are those who've lost their homes completely. There's certainly reason to be worried for this one. It could be another Andrew.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 09:57 PM

Why not just get in the car, and drive to Talahassee or Atlanta? You can get a hotel, and when you wake up in the morning, I'm sure someone will have some D cells for sale somewhere. Rididng that thing out seems like a terrible idea. It could be Cat 5 by Saturday.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 10:08 PM

wow! thats just so retarded!! shows how all the comforts that we have created around us can make humans a weaker species! May be this is just a problem with such a materialistic society!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2004, 10:27 PM

Yeah, housewives beating each other up over bottled water and water is a strange thing.

I can understand being very concerned, but beating the heck out of each other over water and batteries four days before the hurricane will be approaching the coast is a little ridiculous.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2004, 10:30 PM

Why buy water? Keep a couple 5 gallon containers around, hurricane comes, fill em up... Hurricane goes, empty em out. Repeat every year.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Why not just get in the car, and drive to Talahassee or Atlanta? You can get a hotel, and when you wake up in the morning, I'm sure someone will have some D cells for sale somewhere. Rididng that thing out seems like a terrible idea. It could be Cat 5 by Saturday.
Yep! That's always best! I used to visit inland friends.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Why buy water? Keep a couple 5 gallon containers around, hurricane comes, fill em up... Hurricane goes, empty em out. Repeat every year.
I really have to agree with this, I mean is this the 1st Cane Florida has ever had?

I'd run like the wind!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 12:24 AM

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 08:07 AM

I wonder if it's not time for hurricane-prone areas to impose stricter building codes. A good example is Bermuda, where they've seen a number of hurricanes. But there the houses are built to withstand them, and so people aren't rendered homeless every year.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 1, 2004, 08:54 AM

"Every civilization is three warm meals away from barbarism"
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I wonder if it's not time for hurricane-prone areas to impose stricter building codes. A good example is Bermuda, where they've seen a number of hurricanes. But there the houses are built to withstand them, and so people aren't rendered homeless every year.
Good idea. However, this would cost money which people dont like, even though they have to rebuild after a hurricane... Oh and if anyone has ever been to any Carrib. islands, you will see many buildings that dont fly away during hurricanes. I dont get why Florida and other parts dont build good strong houses... It cant be that hard, can it?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 10:39 AM

That's a true enough statement.

People are even worse today...though with the hurricane bordering on a category 5 and possibly coming in over our area they probably have more of a right to be a little edgy.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 10:43 AM

Why do people still live in trailer parks?? Especially in tornado alley?? Because they can't afford stronger homes. I don't no much about politics in Florida but wouldn't anyone in office be lynched if they changed the building codes that would mean more expensive houses which people would strongly object against

Or am i talking out of my @$$??
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by dodo_nutter:
Why do people still live in trailer parks?? Especially in tornado alley?? Because they can't afford stronger homes. I don't no much about politics in Florida but wouldn't anyone in office be lynched if they changed the building codes that would mean more expensive houses which people would strongly object against

Or am i talking out of my @$$??
They have to rebuild whenever a hurricane hits. If they just spent the money to build stronger houses, it would save them more money in the long run. Unless no more Hurricanes come...

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
They have to rebuild whenever a hurricane hits. If they just spent the money to build stronger houses, it would save them more money in the long run. Unless no more Hurricanes come...
Which is about as likely as a load of lemons springing up and dancing the Can-Can before spontaneously combusting

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Good idea. However, this would cost money which people dont like, even though they have to rebuild after a hurricane... Oh and if anyone has ever been to any Carrib. islands, you will see many buildings that dont fly away during hurricanes. I dont get why Florida and other parts dont build good strong houses... It cant be that hard, can it?
\

Being from central Florida... most of the newer houses (since andrew) are plenty strong enough to withstand the hurricane force winds. the problem is often the water, and flooding and the things you can't plan against... like large objects being pick up and thrown through your roof.

All in all, evacuation is your best bet if a large storm is coming. I'm not in FL anymore, but it looks like my family is coming to visit this weekend

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 02:22 PM

Okay, now I'm kind of freaked out myself.

Winds: 155mph category 4 storm possibly category 5 which is the worst. Hurricane force winds 180 miles in all directions from the eye.

Local sheriff just came on air on all local stations and ordered evacuations.

No more plywood at Home Depot or Lowes -- any of them.

At least I have water.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Winds: 155mph category 4 storm possibly category 5 which is the worst. Hurricane force winds 180 miles in all directions from the eye.
It sounds bad. Hang on tight, and stay safe.

John R. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 02:33 PM

we need a War on Weather to stop these evil hurricanes. I'm surprised that the "iron triangle" of Al Roker, the Weather Channel, and Home Depot haven't already started such a thing.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by John R. Smith:
we need a War on Weather to stop these evil hurricanes. I'm surprised that the "iron triangle" of Al Roker, the Weather Channel, and Home Depot haven't already started such a thing.
Yes, let's bomb Greenland then, because there is a clear correlation between Greenland and hurricanes. Besides, they have secret weapons of mass destruction.

oops, wrong forum

John R. Smith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
Yes, let's bomb Greenland then, because there is a clear correlation between Greenland and hurricanes. Besides, they have secret weapons of mass destruction.

oops, wrong forum
no that's stupid what we need to do is send all of our helicopters and bomber planes over Frances and fire bullets at it

edit- we also need to build a security fence dividing miami from the rest of florida

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 02:45 PM

Thanks, voyageur.

I'll post pictures beginning at the beginning of the storm -- others in Florida can post also -- if/when it starts to get dicey.

Meanwhile, it is really REALLY hot here today. We're on the edge of Martin and Palm Beach counties in Florida and they're projecting this 'cane to come ashore about 30 miles north in Port St. Lucie.

Governor Jeb Bush is on television trying to tell people to stay calm and not go out driving around or the freeways will be gridlocked.

I thought about having some fun with travel agencies and calling them today to book an afternoon flight down to the Bahamas (as a joke of course)

Meanwhile, the weather is already getting weird here. There is a tornado warning in my area for some reason -- clear blue skies are outside -- but it is hotter today than it has been all year. A bird flew into our window today and died -- birds are flying everywhere.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 03:21 PM

Evacuations ordered.

But, to where?

"Officials were discouraging motorists from attempting to flee, saying no part of the state was safe at this point. They also feared gridlock on the turpike and interstate highways. They suggested staying elsewher within the county if they feel their homes are not safe. They said shelters, with limited space, should be considered a last resort."
Great satellite view of Atlantic and hurricane.

Great satellite view of world and hurricane.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 03:37 PM

Looks like central Mexico is gonna get a pounding as well...

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:47 PM

Some of my friends are boarding up tonight... :/

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 06:31 AM

Great: Woke up this morning to see that the hurricane is supposed to pass directly over where I live.

What a bad day.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Hurricane 2000
Why on Earth did the Berliner Philharmoniker do this CD??!?!?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 02:30 PM

keep us posted.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 05:46 PM

I think all of southeast Florida is now in their cars headed inland.

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 06:02 PM

Good luck any of you guys in Florida, hope that you keep safe, tell us how it goes.

Although we complain about the weather here across the pond we dont have Hurricane problems, just sh!t weather all the time. Soon as we get 3+ inches of rain we get floods and when the sun finally appears we start complaining because its so hot. Man we whine a lot!!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:

Great satellite view of world and hurricane.
Looks like another storm is forming off the southern coast of Africa.

Be safe everyone. And post here with updates until the power goes out.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by dcmacdaddy:
Looks like another storm is forming off the southern coast of Africa.

Be safe everyone. And post here with updates until the power goes out.
Yeah, I saw that as well (except it's the west coast of Africa where all hurricanes start, which is why sand form the Sahara sometimes makes its way to Florida). That would really be the hammer, if the hurricane of the century was followed by the hurricane of the millenium!
weird wabbit

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 07:15 PM

Bets on what will go first, phone or power

(or am i just being sick!!?? )

voyageur
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 07:33 PM

Think of it. 2.5 million people have been told to evacuate. That's almost 1% of the US population!

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 07:44 PM

Well, going to Tallahassee might not be the best plan, since it looks like Frances is going to head straight there. Over land, true, but it'll still pack a punch.

Normally however, it's about the best place in Florida to be IME, with regards to hurricanes. They almost never hit there with any real force. Last bad one was Kate, back in '85, and while it started out as a 3, it pretty rapidly turned into a 1.

Otherwise, of course, it's a shithole, as I know having grown up there.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules