Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Britain launches satellite tracking of paedophiles

Britain launches satellite tracking of paedophiles
f1000
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 09:13 AM

LONDON (AFP) - Britain launched a pilot project using satellites to track child sex offenders and other criminals, triggering alarms if they near schools or other places barred to them.

AFP/ESA/File Photo

In the "prison without bars" project, some 120 offenders in Manchester and several other cities will wear tags allowing the police to monitor their Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite locations.

The offenders to be tagged in the 12-month project include paedophiles, spouse beaters and juvenile delinquants who will be monitored following their release from jail or as part of a community sentence, officials said.

Home Secretary David Blunkett, due in Manchester for a demonstration of the system, said it is the first such project in Europe, though tracking technology is already used for offenders in parts of the United States.

Blunkett, who previously announced it under a five-year crackdown on crime, said it would help ensure offenders were "sticking to the conditions of their licence and staying away from crime."

Officials said the system will sound an alarm if, for example, a tagged paedophile enters areas from which he or she has been banned, such as a playground or school, alerting police to their location.

"This technology will allow us to develop and promote the tough community sentences which are vital if we are to prevent re-offending and give non-violent offenders a chance to serve an effective sentence in the community," Blunkett said.

"The public have to be confident that this 'prison without bars' works and that it gives the police and probation services the tools they need to protect them," he added

The project covers not only the greater Manchester area, but also Fareham, Gosport, Havant, Portsmouth and Southampton, as well as the West Midlands communities of Sandwell and Dudley.

He added he hoped "other areas can benefit from this new technology as soon as possible," but did not elaborate.

Blunkett plans to double the use of electronic tagging overall, so that 18,000 people are tagged at any one time.

Assistant general secretary of the probation workers' union NAPO, Harry Fletcher, said that because the system was expensive it "must be limited to those offenders that pose the highest risk of harm to the public.

The government has set aside three million pounds for the project.

"Satellite tracking is another form of control which by itself will not prevent crime," he added. "It's also critical that it's not used as a substitute for treatment, supervision and surveillance."

Two types of satellite tracking will be tested in the pilot.

Passive tracking allows an offender to be monitored retrospectively with location data being downloaded at certain times during the day.

Hybrid tracking monitors offenders in "real time" if they enter an exclusion area, with their location appearing on an ordinance survey map to within six and a half feet (two metres), enabling appropriate action to be taken.

It is one of a package of measures which aims to meet a new government pledge to cut offending by 15 percent by April 2008.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...0902114313&e=1

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:15 AM

why not? ppl like that have no rights.

f1000  (op)
Professional Poster

"I like it!"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN

Let's just hope the tracking is better than FedEx's...

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2004, 09:22 AM

Im assuming their using ankle tag things for this? Isn't it a little easy to cover them up 'accidently'. If your inside they wouldn't work so all you would need to do is go inside then cover the anklet up and you could go anywhere and it would be assumed you were inside.

Good idea though
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by f1000:

"I like it!"
Nice....

york28
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by dodo_nutter:
Im assuming their using ankle tag things for this? Isn't it a little easy to cover them up 'accidently'. If your inside they wouldn't work so all you would need to do is go inside then cover the anklet up and you could go anywhere and it would be assumed you were inside.

Good idea though
Yeah- this is true. GPS doesn't do well with buildings at all. But there has to be another system involved, since I believe GPS units typically don't transmit anything at all. Or maybe that's just the consumer level ones.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by storer:
As long as they have served their time, once released from prison they have just as many rights as any other citizen (save for voting).
I wouldn't let a sex offender any where near my child but I also don't agree with arbitrarily deeming who have rights and who don't.
This is after all the illusion of a Democracy

If this takes off it will be great for a while. But technology moves in steps, no one would want to be "chipped" but we want sex offenders and felons "chipped" then when we get comfortable with that it will inch closer and closer til one day we are all voting "for" chipping ourselves. I don't like the idea of a "big brother" society.

JohnSmith68
Sep 2, 2004, 04:06 PM

I don't like the idea of a "big brother" society
neither do I, but we're talking about the UK here. British culture has this strange obsession with voyeurism, cameras, and tracking people. it's a little bit creepy, and it's already gotten out of control with the traffic cameras issuing tickets like crazy. but I'm glad to see the technology being put to good use, in this instance for the tracking of paedophiles, rather than for issuing speeding tickets or monitoring neds all day.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by JohnSmith68:
...and it's already gotten out of control with the traffic cameras issuing tickets like crazy...
I wish we had this in the US!

york28
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Me too.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by storer:
People like that shouldn't be breathing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

faragbre967
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Originally posted by york28:
Me too.
Why in the hell would you want this?

JohnSmith68
Sep 2, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Why in the hell would you want this?
if they knew a bit more about the way it's being implemented, they wouldn't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3293611.stm - speed cameras increase deaths

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/3245947.stm - speed cameras too profitable

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/3245947.stm - police chief denies speed "obsession"

there's a lot of controversy surrounding these cameras, and I doubt anybody in the US would want these problems

Gemini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 05:06 PM

Now if we could only put one up for the Mexicans our tax deficits would be fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules