Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 8)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2012, 12:49 PM

The thing I still struggle with is compensating my aiming over long distances. It's easier with a sniper rifle than it is with some of the ARs, but I almost never play Recon.

I know the Operation Firestorm heli debacle probably got under your skin, but I was chuckling the entire time. I manned the gun for much of that match, and only managed one kill, I believe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The thing I still struggle with is compensating my aiming over long distances. It's easier with a sniper rifle than it is with some of the ARs, but I almost never play Recon.
You need to work on engineer, especially if you were riding in vehicles.

I know the Operation Firestorm heli debacle probably got under your skin, but I was chuckling the entire time. I manned the gun for much of that match, and only managed one kill, I believe.
I noticed nothing was happening because I wasn't getting any points. And no one was giving directions.

Now I understand more than ever why that map plays so horribly. Two jets, two helicopters, three tanks, there's more vehicle seats available than people on the team. Which only gets worse when you have one to three assholes camping vehicle spawns.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You need to work on engineer, especially if you were riding in vehicles.
I finally started last night...in the last match.

I noticed nothing was happening because I wasn't getting any points. And no one was giving directions.
That's mostly because I didn't see anyone (excluding tanks/jets). I had no idea where to go.

I probably only shot at three guys on foot.

Now I understand more than ever why that map plays so horribly. Two jets, two helicopters, three tanks, there's more vehicle seats available than people on the team. Which only gets worse when you have one to three assholes camping vehicle spawns.
Yes, indeed.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2012, 04:41 PM

I hope sek reads this thread today.

Come, sek.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 04:42 PM

I spend the majority of my winning Operation Firestorm games running solo in a tank capturing points. I usually MVP in those cases.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 04:42 PM

I hope sek reads this thread today.

Come, sek.
He's very bitter. Maybe he can trade Dead Island, seeing how much time he put into that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 04:44 PM

Oh as far as aiming with rifles, just aim for the head. Between upward recoil and bullet drop, you should be fine. Just be sure to be using the burst or single-fire setting.

Weapon choice might be important here, too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2012, 04:55 PM

My weapon choices are still fairly limited, though I'm anxious to see how the FAMAS does in this game. I need to revive 4 more people to earn it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2012, 04:56 PM

FAMAS is utterly broken and has all firing modes. But that'll only work for you in the Medic class. You need to unlock the neutral M4A1 for engineer.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 23, 2012, 04:47 PM

I managed a kill in a jet last night. It's a miracle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2012, 12:46 PM

Guy trying to reach max rank while not killing anyone.

To me, that's a big reason this game is so refreshing.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2012, 04:18 PM

That's pretty cool. How do you rank up without killing people in BF 3?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2012, 03:58 AM

capturing flags, disabling vehicles, assisting on flag captures, reviving teammates, resupplying teammates, laying healthpacks, laying ammunition packs, putting down spawn beacons, spot kill assists with the MAV/TUGS, and repairing vehicles.

might have missed one or two. I destroyed a helicopter and its occupant tonight with a well aimed SMAW...it was spectacular

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 27, 2012, 03:32 PM

So I've been jumping into games with Bogues' old crew. They're damn good (far better than me), and we seem to end up either winning or being top squad the majority of the games (if not both).

We had a disgusting sequence on Canals yesterday where I was kept switching between the gunner and designator seat in the tank so we could keep shooting down the opposing teams little birds as soon as they hit the air.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2012, 03:38 PM

It is absolutely impossible to do well in this game with poor teammates.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 03:40 PM

Eh, it's very hard to pull an MVP as scoring can become circular, but I've led the leaderboard in many a losing scenario. Considering I'm not nearly as good at this as MW3, and there's so many more players you're competing with, I find it all the more infuriating when I'm the best player on my team in a losing effort. Many of those times, I'll find that players are spending most of the game camping spawn for aerial vehicles.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2012, 03:55 PM

...I'll find that players are spending most of the game camping spawn for aerial vehicles.
Exactly. And they're not even that effective for 99% of the players using them.

Last night I was in a tank, bombarding an enemy position in hardcore conquest yesterday, and a teammate in another tank decided that my tank was in his way, despite having several other routes to take. He proceeded to fire at me until my tank exploded. This kind of thing happens all the time.

Another problem is the guys who lie in the bushes and sniper the entire game without moving a muscle. It gets incredibly aggravating on some maps.

I'm still enjoying the change of pace, but I still don't have enough time to dedicate to the game to really learn the maps and be effective.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 03:59 PM

Exactly. And they're not even that effective for 99% of the players using them.
By the same token, how the hell do you get better? I've been jumping in jets lately even though suck doesn't even begin to sum up my level, but I have managed to unlock two new pieces of equipment and I'm slightly better.

Last night I was in a tank, bombarding an enemy position in hardcore conquest yesterday, and a teammate in another tank decided that my tank was in his way, despite having several other routes to take. He proceeded to fire at me until my tank exploded. This kind of thing happens all the time.
It could be that. Or it could be a griefer. Or someone who doesn't like you "camping." Or someone pissed you beat him to the only available tank earlier.

Another problem is the guys who lie in the bushes and sniper the entire game without moving a muscle. It gets incredibly aggravating on some maps.
Yeah, I'll do that sometimes when I'm getting murdered or my team flat-out blows. I'm no longer good at sniping too (thanks MW3!) so I'm even more worthless than I should be.

I'm still enjoying the change of pace, but I still don't have enough time to dedicate to the game to really learn the maps and be effective.
Do you play on the new maps much? Because I find both their design and the assault mode to be far, far harder than the vanilla game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2012, 04:29 PM

By the same token, how the hell do you get better? I've been jumping in jets lately even though suck doesn't even begin to sum up my level, but I have managed to unlock two new pieces of equipment and I'm slightly better.
True, but I'd rather them take it when it's available rather than wait, completely uninvolved, for the majority of the match. I'm all for people rushing to pilot a jet/helicopter, but not for that being their only goal. Not on a game so dependent upon good team play.

It could be that. Or it could be a griefer. Or someone who doesn't like you "camping." Or someone pissed you beat him to the only available tank earlier.
The last possibility is what eats me up. I've nearly rage-quit at the beginnings of matches several times over this.

Yeah, I'll do that sometimes when I'm getting murdered or my team flat-out blows. I'm no longer good at sniping too (thanks MW3!) so I'm even more worthless than I should be.
I've barely touched Recon. I'm fine hitting stationary targets, but when a player is running perpendicular at a long distance, there's no way I'm compensating for distance and leading him properly to register a kill. Not a chance.

Do you play on the new maps much? Because I find both their design and the assault mode to be far, far harder than the vanilla game.
Yeah, that's all I played with the two Texan guys last night. If we played Squad TDM, I'd finish at about 2-10. On Conquest, I'd finish in the top 3 on our team. I just really suck at everything except Conquest. I love capturing flags, both on foot and in vehicles. Plus, I've become Mr. Ammo Supply, and my Score Per Minute has gone through the roof since adopting that new strategy.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Feb 28, 2012 at 04:37 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 04:39 PM

The last possibility is what eats me up. I've nearly rage-quit at the beginnings of matches several times over this.
See, I've never played hardcore and I guessed this. I know why you'e playing it, but its just stupid.

I've barely touched Recon. I'm fine hitting stationary targets, but when a player is running perpendicular at a long distance, there's no way I'm compensating for distance and leading him properly to register a kill. Not a chance.
Before MW3 I had an epic kill like that on Tehran, but otherwise I'm on the same boat. Again, with the new maps the distances are so much larger that that too has become too difficult.

Yeah, that's all I played with the two Texan guys last night. If we played Squad TDM, I'd finish at about 2-10. On Conquest, I'd finish in the top 3 on our team. I just really suck at everything Conquest, really. I love capturing flags, both on foot and in vehicles. Plus, I've become Mr. Ammo Supply, and my Score Per Minute has gone through the roof since adopting that new strategy.
Well in that case you're doing better than me.

Still, for me nothing beats playing medic on Metro with the broken-ass FAMAS. Like 5k+ points and some type of MVP most of the time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 04:42 PM

Case in point, from this weekend:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2012, 04:59 PM

See, I've never played hardcore and I guessed this. I know why you'e playing it, but its just stupid.
I play it mostly because the guys I play with love it for some reason. It is nice to be able to pull off a kill realistically, with a single burst at a distance, but the team damage is gruesome.

Well in that case you're doing better than me.
...uh, except my K/D is 0.557. Read that again. 0.557. I feel like a massive weight around my team's neck on TDM or STDM.

Still, for me nothing beats playing medic on Metro with the broken-ass FAMAS. Like 5k+ points and some type of MVP most of the time.
It's definitely rewarding playing as a medic. Reviving multiple teammates in a firefight feels great, and loads up the XP.

Also, the FAMAS has the worst iron sights on any gun from any game I've ever played.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2012, 05:10 PM

Found an example:

2,280 of my 3,060 points came from support assists and ammo re-supplies. I am reading that right, yes?

And yes, the K/D is atrocious, but it doesn't sting as bad when I know I was still benefiting the team.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2012, 05:15 PM

...uh, except my K/D is 0.557. Read that again. 0.557. I feel like a massive weight around my team's neck on TDM or STDM.
The TDM modes in this game are worthless. The maps are limited, the spawns are worthless, and the standard fare lacks vehicles. It's a joke.

As for conquest, k/d isn't the end-all be all. Not when there's flags to take and people to revive.

It's definitely rewarding playing as a medic. Reviving multiple teammates in a firefight feels great, and loads up the XP.
It's very rewarding when you go Saving Private Ryan, sprinting across streets and diving out from cover to bring people back.

Also, the FAMAS has the worst iron sights on any gun from any game I've ever played.
Hilariously so. If it were CoD, I'd claim "Balance!", but since attachments are free in this game it seems like a pointless gimping.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2012, 09:51 AM

And yes, the K/D is atrocious, but it doesn't sting as bad when I know I was still benefiting the team.
I don't need to get a decent k/d in BF3 to have had a good game. IIRC, I've usually done better points wise when NOT focusing on killing loads of people.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2012, 10:57 AM

Those of you who follow the game more closely are probably aware of the USAS and its broken fragmented round which have been exploited quite a bit. Last night, however, took the cake.

See, one the things that sometimes overlooked is the amount of information you are given on your killer. Your k/d against them in the round, the weapon, the attachments, but they also include the service stars for the class and weapon.

Last night I was killed back to back by two players with 27 USAS service stars... and then one with 55.

Let me clarify this for those of you who don't play – in order to attain a weapon service star, you must get 100 kills with said weapon. These two assholes had been milking the glitched rounds to the tune of 2700 and 5500 kills. That is vile.

Otherwise, I hooked up with apsolid's crew and more good times were had. Though we did run into that odd glitch(?) where the server refused to fill up til the end of the night.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2012, 03:27 PM

I don't understand why things like that aren't fixed right away. Why do these bugs hang around so long?

Another one of these bugs is the fact that you can hop onto an MAV and then fly around with it. This means that Recon classes are getting up into places they couldn't normally ever get to. These "bugs" have been around a long time- why are they not fixed?!

Also, I don't know if it is a bug or not, but you can kill someone with the MAV if you swing and drop it on them just right. I've seen many people do this in TDM games and amass 18-2 ratios and whatnot. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that but it is beyond annoying when someone is hunting you with an MAV.

On another note, in Conquest, one of the things that irks me a shit ton is when a teammate(s) capture a flag and then immediately move onto to another, not leaving anyone behind and then the other team starts capping it as my teammates run away to another point. WHAT. THE. HELL. I can't wrap my head around this. It really only pertains to the large outdoor maps, but whenever I cap something, I stick around and cover the area because (to the other team) it's a dead giveaway that an enemy is there and more often than not a tank or vehicle will roll up within 30 seconds and try to take it back.

Just seems like some people don't use their brains when thinking about how to capture AND CONTINUE TO HOLD a flag.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2012, 03:33 PM

Let them take he first one back then after you take the second ambush them 'cus they'll be coming from the direction of the first one?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
I don't understand why things like that aren't fixed right away. Why do these bugs hang around so long?
I couldn't tell you. I've heard BF vets complain that this is pretty bad support as far as the titles have gone.

I looked around the thread. I thought I had posted this, but apparently not:
I come with news for my dear Mordor. - Electronic Arts UK Community

AAlso, I don't know if it is a bug or not, but you can kill someone with the MAV if you swing and drop it on them just right. I've seen many people do this in TDM games and amass 18-2 ratios and whatnot. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that but it is beyond annoying when someone is hunting you with an MAV.
To be fixed. You can also troll helis with it, too. The fix will make this ability still possible, but not the MAV will be destroyed. A fair compromise.

On another note, in Conquest, one of the things that irks me a shit ton is when a teammate(s) capture a flag and then immediately move onto to another, not leaving anyone behind and then the other team starts capping it as my teammates run away to another point. WHAT. THE. HELL. I can't wrap my head around this. It really only pertains to the large outdoor maps, but whenever I cap something, I stick around and cover the area because (to the other team) it's a dead giveaway that an enemy is there and more often than not a tank or vehicle will roll up within 30 seconds and try to take it back.

Just seems like some people don't use their brains when thinking about how to capture AND CONTINUE TO HOLD a flag.
I might have to disagree with you here. Depending on the map, the layout means you will run into teams moving to your point as you move to theirs, or alternatively, some maps are so gigantic or have so many points that contention just isn't going to occur frequently enough to justify camping.

Seine Crossing? Yeah, you should defend those points. Firestorm? Keep moving on. Who knows if they ever make it to the first flag.

I do have to say one thing – the frequent exchange of flags is good for xp, too.

Edit: The other reason is because half the team is usually pussies or idiots where you're left having to attack those points yourself anyway.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2012, 10:59 AM

Well, I did it. Reached max rank, got my service star as a medic, and am just a few games away from one for engineer. Feels good man.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2012, 11:40 AM

Last night I was killed back to back by two players with 27 USAS service stars... and then one with 55.

Let me clarify this for those of you who don't play – in order to attain a weapon service star, you must get 100 kills with said weapon. These two assholes had been milking the glitched rounds to the tune of 2700 and 5500 kills. That is vile.
Hey, how many people on MW2 used the Care Package glitch or the Stone glitch. Frankly, the Stone glitch didn't bug me since I avoided most of that side of the map.

It's like in MW3, how many people run around with the akimbo FMGs or Striker? I know I do now. Especially once I get akimbo on the FMGs or some other machine pistol. I think I once found a whole team using the FMGs.

But, yeah, the guy with 5500 is REALLY milking it for all it's worth. It sounds like that's his main weapon. There are alot of idiots and a-holes out there.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 2, 2012, 11:50 AM

Well there's a few things to note here.

First, it's much harder to get kills in BF3 than MW3.
Second, there's no way the word main gets used here. Only would be the term.
Third, I don't think I ever got a weapon over three or four thousand kills in MW3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 5, 2012, 04:31 PM

Had a 9100 pt game on Op Metro Friday. Ridiculous.

Edit: Next closest person was like 6700, I think.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2012, 12:46 PM

Ran into a ton of Support not dropping ammo this weekend Infuriating as hell. Doubly so, when you're trying to single-handedly take out air support and you need the extra ammo because you have to deflare everything before you can get a hit in.

Other than that, I had two times this weekend I managed to nail a low-flying heli with a tank shell (a first), and I still can't decided if its more advantageous to be the chopper pilot or gunner. Went 14 as the gunner on one map while the pilot only had like 4 or 5 kills.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2012, 01:51 PM

Sorry to bail on you Ojester, but you seem to log on late when I'm on my final games. Don't think we ran into each other on Metro, either.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2012, 03:14 PM

Ran into a ton of Support not dropping ammo this weekend Infuriating as hell. Doubly so, when you're trying to single-handedly take out air support and you need the extra ammo because you have to deflare everything before you can get a hit in.
I've taken up the habit of dropping ammo any time I come to an area of action no matter what. It takes 1 second and every Support has it. Very frustrating when someone is just ignoring you. Same with health packs too...approaching a choke point or a corner/hallway I always lay down health. At the very least it's there for yourself when it gets hairy and at the most you're helping out the guys who are getting your back.

Other than that, I had two times this weekend I managed to nail a low-flying heli with a tank shell (a first)
Destroying a chopper from the the ground is Oh So Satisfying

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2012, 04:15 PM

I've taken up the habit of dropping ammo any time I come to an area of action no matter what. It takes 1 second and every Support has it. Very frustrating when someone is just ignoring you. Same with health packs too...approaching a choke point or a corner/hallway I always lay down health. At the very least it's there for yourself when it gets hairy and at the most you're helping out the guys who are getting your back.
I try to toss ammo on the ground at every opportunity, but sometimes forget when trying to find cover in a firefight. I usually do really well with squadmates, but if I can't hear my other teammates because I'm in party chat, I have to remind myself.

You'd think the loads of XP would be sufficient to encourage users of the Support class to follow through with it, but some of those guys NEVER help out. Same with the medics. When I die right beside them, and they run past me and around a corner instead of reviving me, I want to shoot them in the back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2012, 04:22 PM

It gets crazy obnoxious when all you see on your mini-map is the ammo symbol and you realize its all people and not a single box.

One thing I learned last night is I thin you deplete ammo boxes real fast refilling rockets. Which makes it all the more annoying.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2012, 08:08 PM

ugh.... I'm in a Conquest server right now and the teamwork is atrocious. It really is amazing to watch a team working well together and how effective it can be.

I'm always conflicted about what to choose for Conquest. I'm quite adept with Assault and reviving is a big part of capping points but I always find myself gravitating towards Engineer just because I absolutely hate being without a way to damage tanks. It's kind of annoying that grenades do such little damage, if any. you're basically dead if you're with one or two other people but no engineers.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 8, 2012 at 08:19 PM. )

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2012, 09:10 PM

just had an insane rocket shot on a Growler with 3 guys in it as they drive over their own land mine which exploded because of the rocket- 590 points in one shot (triple kill, vehicle destroyed, and destroyed 2 explosives). all three bodies went flying...probably my favorite shot yet

edit: well that was probably the most fun I've had playing Conquest. MVP, 18:7 KD, 10763 points, 112 tickets left, 33 minute game

One thing I learned last night is I thin you deplete ammo boxes real fast refilling rockets. Which makes it all the more annoying.
Ammo boxes can go empty?

two games in a row now, I've been a passenger in a vehicle and two different drivers drove so far out of bounds it suicided us.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 9, 2012 at 12:36 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2012, 10:48 AM

I'm always conflicted about what to choose for Conquest. I'm quite adept with Assault and reviving is a big part of capping points but I always find myself gravitating towards Engineer just because I absolutely hate being without a way to damage tanks. It's kind of annoying that grenades do such little damage, if any. you're basically dead if you're with one or two other people but no engineers.
I try to play the map, then the needs of the team. The main thing I've noticed is I've seen almost no reason to be recon anymore. I feel like I'm just wasting my team's time if I do it.

just had an insane rocket shot on a Growler with 3 guys in it as they drive over their own land mine which exploded because of the rocket- 590 points in one shot (triple kill, vehicle destroyed, and destroyed 2 explosives). all three bodies went flying...probably my favorite shot yet
Love the body physics.

Had one of those games last night where for some reason I was just pegging infantry with the Main Tank shell. Ended up getting hate mail after the game "man ur fkn annoying." Well then. (I did go 17-1. Next closest person on either team had 7 kills. Kharg Island sucks)

edit: well that was probably the most fun I've had playing Conquest. MVP, 18:7 KD, 10763 points, 112 tickets left, 33 minute game
33 minute game? How?!

Ammo boxes can go empty?
Confirmed. I don't know if it was patched in, but my javelin depletes them, and I imagine it might be to prevent engineers from spamming infantry, as I recall hooking a few up on Metro back in the early days.

---

Thing I'm most proud of on my profile - Ribbons:

MVP - 56
MVP2 - 47
MVP3 - 34

If I don't finish in the Top 2 I just don't seem to finish well.

Edit: Oh, and the A-91 sucks.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2012, 03:50 PM

Love the body physics.

Had one of those games last night where for some reason I was just pegging infantry with the Main Tank shell. Ended up getting hate mail after the game "man ur fkn annoying." Well then. (I did go 17-1. Next closest person on either team had 7 kills. Kharg Island sucks)
My friend and I were just talking the other day about how good the body reactions are to getting shot and the like. When I use the KH2002 as Assault I get a LOT of backflips from people I've headshotted- really cool. Also, incidentally Kharg Island is where I had that awesome game…that's one of my favorite of the original maps for Conquest.

I've definitely had those hate messages before, haha. The best one came in Dutch, which I had to translate: "**** you pussy bitch coward". Classy.

I try to play the map, then the needs of the team. The main thing I've noticed is I've seen almost no reason to be recon anymore. I feel like I'm just wasting my team's time if I do it.
I find that utilizing Recon's equipment is where it's at for Recon on Conquest. One thing I do is equip the ASVAL/PP2000/P90 and MAV. Gear up the MAV and fly it around looking for the point I want to pay attention to, park it on the top of a building out of the way so the Motion Sensor works and then attack that point. It identifies moving targets and such. Great way to cap.

I also use the Spawn Beacon on small maps, especially Metro. I'll set it near that stairwell near B that's always a firefight so that my teammates can respawn and join back in quickly. on small maps like that, spawn beacon is so clutch to overrun positions (if your teammates are smart enough to use it). There are certain situations when I like to use Recon but most the time I'm Engineer. but I never snipe on Conquest, don't think it's worth it.

33 minute game? How?!
It was a lot of back and forth. Things didn't stay capped for long. That's partly how I got so many points- I was capping, neutralizing, and assisting like CRAZY (and triple killing of course). After the game I was trying to look at all my ribbons and points and whatnot and I forgot to look at the time for the match but it was absolutely close to a half hour. Didn't feel like it though, as I was just in the zone.

Edit: Oh, and the A-91 sucks.
It's funny you should mention this…that's what I was using all last night and I grew to like it a lot. My order for Engineer is SG553>A91>G53. I definitely think you can't judge a gun by one or two lives…..I LOVE how each gun has a different feel because of recoil, bullet spread, and rate of fire
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 9, 2012 at 03:57 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2012, 02:23 PM

My friend and I were just talking the other day about how good the body reactions are to getting shot and the like. When I use the KH2002 as Assault I get a LOT of backflips from people I've headshotted- really cool. Also, incidentally Kharg Island is where I had that awesome game…that's one of my favorite of the original maps for Conquest.
Give me a competent gunner/engineer and I'll dominate. But it really feels like a lot more driving and sitting than fighting.

I find that utilizing Recon's equipment is where it's at for Recon on Conquest. One thing I do is equip the ASVAL/PP2000/P90 and MAV. Gear up the MAV and fly it around looking for the point I want to pay attention to, park it on the top of a building out of the way so the Motion Sensor works and then attack that point. It identifies moving targets and such. Great way to cap.
Solid advice. Still need to identify what to use as a viable firearm, though.

It was a lot of back and forth. Things didn't stay capped for long. That's partly how I got so many points- I was capping, neutralizing, and assisting like CRAZY (and triple killing of course). After the game I was trying to look at all my ribbons and points and whatnot and I forgot to look at the time for the match but it was absolutely close to a half hour. Didn't feel like it though, as I was just in the zone.
I'd be surprised if I'd played any match longer than 22 min. Had a 19 this weekend, I think.

It's funny you should mention this…that's what I was using all last night and I grew to like it a lot. My order for Engineer is SG553>A91>G53. I definitely think you can't judge a gun by one or two lives…..I LOVE how each gun has a different feel because of recoil, bullet spread, and rate of fire
I used it some more this weekend. It's shit. Probably because it has not burst setting. I remember the SCAR being rated as overpowered back at release but I'm even worse with that. G36C, though, I am cleaning up with that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2012, 11:38 AM

I really like this game, but I'm really having a hard time seeing the point of the air warfare. Oh, it really adds a nice kind of aesthetic to the atmosphere of the game, but in reality it seems to be almost completely counter-productive to actually winning. I've already spoken to console player counts and vehicle camping, but last night I saw a different issue.

I come up MVP a decent amount. I still don't think I'm all that amazing at this game, and I'm probably right, because I've come to realize that simply playing to win (rather than kill or fly) will seriously inflate my score. Was playing on one of the DLC maps last night and my team was winning by a pretty good margin and a few times I died and found the Viper open so naturally I jumped in. So what do I do once I'm the Viper? Well, your primary concern is always to eliminate your biggest thread – the other team's Viper. Then it's 50/50 on whether you have to worry about Jets (Usually harmless to ground vehicles troops, but deadly to you) or try to rocket pod tanks (marginally effective). And this is if ground troops aren't actively working to shoot you down (probably ****ed).

Now, good or better equipped helis can wreak some havoc on ground forces, but those people are the minority. And the real 1% are those that can hover over points and capture them. So what I'm getting at is, while in the beginning I had been capturing and defending points on the ground, (hopefully) helping us to that healthy lead, as I spent the latter part of the game in the Viper more and more of our lead (coincidentally?) slipped away and we ended up losing the match by 20-40 tickets. Frustrating.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2012, 04:25 PM

Bravo if you can capture in a heli. Doesn't having flares or something help alot against the fighter planes? I can remember playing against a chopper pilot who had something that made the planes far less lethal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2012, 04:30 PM

There are some interesting savants in fighter planes. One's that manage to juke my javelins without using flares and such. But considering they come in pairs, they can be difficult to fend off, particularly if you're engaged with the opposing heli. The best success you'll have "solo" is if you have a co-pilot with flares as well, but in reality, if you're jet fighters are shit, you're not likely to last too long. The jets break heli locks with ease.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2012, 09:48 PM

just like sniping, I don't really see the points of jets in Conquest.

been trying out the G36C- it's decent but it feels pretty inaccurate. still like the SG553 better

does every spawn drain a ticket or does it not drain a ticket if you pick a teammate or a spawn beacon to spawn instead of a capture point?
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2012, 09:59 AM

just like sniping, I don't really see the points of jets in Conquest.
Case in point, I had a game that confirmed my suspicions last night.

I find Operation Firestorm, like Kharg, to be a long game of driving around and recapturing points with almost no confrontation. I also find that is the map most affected by people wasting their time in the air.

So imagine my surprise when at one point I'm capturing A, we have a tank nearby, and 3-7 people on foot. As soon as we capture it, we all sprint, on foot, to B.I've never seen anything like it. We crushed the opposing team by 150 tickets and just to feel smug I checked and the opposing team had the highest scores in Jets and Helicopters.

been trying out the G36C- it's decent but it feels pretty inaccurate. still like the SG553 better
I don't have access to the SG553, but my basic logic is M4 for mid-to-long, G36C for short-to-mid.

Serves me well enough.

does every spawn drain a ticket or does it not drain a ticket if you pick a teammate or a spawn beacon to spawn instead of a capture point?
That's a great question, because I've been wondering myself. There have been a few close games where instead of spawning I just sit and watch the ticket counts from the spawn screen, hoping that means I'm giving my team an extra chance. The way they describe it, the act of spawning burns the ticket, which means having stupid team mates will again cost you in 2-2 game, but I'm not sure.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2012, 10:12 AM

Dex, did you have any fun playing with us Tuesday night?

---

So,not one of my proudest moments, but I forgot to relate a story of one of the most retarded dances I have ever done in this game from a couple weekends ago.

Caspian Border, I'm driving a tank and a teammate recon spawns into the gunner seat. We go and recapture A and the tank gets nearly destroyed by a heli in the process. Recon bails fairly early and runs away as I stick out the last remaining moments trying to secure. With less then 10% health remaining I pop out and start repairing the tank.

Recon starts running back to the tank. I stop repairing. Since it was nowhere near 100% this means it will begin to lose health again. He jumps in, effectively "stealing it." Tanks health begins deteriorating. He jumps out and begins to run away before it explodes. I start repairing again. He comes back. I stop. He runs away. I start again. He comes back. Over and over.
I won't let him steal my tank and he won't take the ****ing hint.

In the end I think he got murdered hanging out and then someone exploded the tank while I was working on it. gg, dude.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2012, 01:27 PM

just noticed I had 41 service stars for the KH2002....wowzers

Forum Links
Forum Rules