Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless Router Recommendations for iMac and PC

Wireless Router Recommendations for iMac and PC
Peter Stevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 03:28 AM

Hi,

I've just bought my mother a new 20" iMac for Christmas and need recommendations for a wireless router. Not a problem you may think. It connected to my office Netgear router (DG834G) without a problem of course and I'm sure Netgear's latest offerings would be fine.

The problem is that my father also needs to connect his ageing PC to the router. He's currently running Windows XP and the motherboard appears to have some sort of built-in network capabilities - not wireless - but there seems to be an ethernet port. He will connect via an ethernet cable and the iMac will have to be wireless, because it's going to be used in a different room located directly above.

My home office network works without a problem - PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz/8Gb RAM, 15" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/2Gb RAM and the children's MacMini 1.42GHz/512Mb RAM PPC - the new 20" iMac connected wirelessly whilst I configured it and updated OSX to 10.4.8.

I have very little knowledge of PCs and want to start with a good router recommendation which won't leave me

The other option is to burgle their house while they're away and steal the bl**dy PC !!!

Thanks,

Pete.

galarneau
Senior User
Dec 27, 2006, 07:58 AM

I like the Buffalo WHR-G54S

Cheap ($40, though not sure how much in the UK) and can be flashed to use dd-wrt firmware (www.dd-wrt.com)

Nivag
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2006, 11:17 AM

i've got the same as you office at home the Netgear DG834G - it works a treat on both platforms.

Peter Stevens  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 04:24 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with what I know.

Pete,

maccrack
Jan 4, 2007, 04:11 PM

the best imo is the wirless N router from link.
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

cspuryear
Jan 6, 2007, 05:15 PM

D-Link DGL-4300

I've had it for a while w/ a Wireless G4 Powerbook, Wireless iMac G4, Wireless Shuttle PC, Wireless Xbox 360, and Sunrocket VOIP hooked up to it......

Not to mention my Dell laptop that I also use when working from home. The router is solid, and never goes down. It does a great job of prioritizing packets, security, and doesn't require anything extra for a Mac.....
--------Insert Catchy Tagline Here--------

Forum Links
Forum Rules