Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Romney select Paul Ryan

Romney select Paul Ryan (Page 3)
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
The only one rolling granny over a cliff are the Democrats and Obama and his $700 billion cut to Medicare to pay for ACA.
So Republicans love Medicare and entitlements?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2012, 09:35 AM

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3735...n-vouchers.htm

Hence, the Ryan plan and the Obama plan differ chiefly in where they try to find savings: Obama's plan seeks more efficiency in how providers are reimbursed, while Ryan is focused on seniors having more choices in how they pay for health care, allowing the free market to drive down costs and lessening the taxpayer's burden.

But here's a key detail: The budget Ryan conceived, for which he was alternately pilloried or lauded as the intellectual lodestar of the Republican Party, sought to repeal most of the Affordable Care Act -- but it kept in place the reductions in reimbursements to health care providers, i.e. the cost-saving mechanism championed by President Obama. Most Republicans voted for those budgets.
If medical costs rise faster than the value of those vouchers, seniors would need to pay the difference out of pocket.
Wait a second... so Ryan does the same cuts, using the same method, the only difference is with his plan the elderly could be on the hook for unexpected costs. And I'm supposed to be afraid of Obama's plan?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2012, 09:36 AM

Obama has already made a $700 billion cut to Medicare
I'm hoping we get Medicare for all.

Guess Chongo wants Medicare expanded too.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So Republicans love Medicare and entitlements?
It's Chongo. He doesn't care if you agree with him, he just wants to scare you away from a position so you do what he favors (i.e., birth control is a carcinogen, you shouldn't use it!)

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2012, 09:29 PM

From what I have read, the suggested restructuring of medicare would allow future participants more options, including the same plan enjoyed by Congress.com
From CatholicVote. http://www.catholicvote.org/discuss/index.php?p=34581
"Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition of all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination" (Pope John Paul II, 1988, The Vocation and the Mission of the Lay Faithful in the Church and in the World (Christifideles Laici), n.38).

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's Chongo. He doesn't care if you agree with him, he just wants to scare you away from a position so you do what he favors (i.e., birth control is a carcinogen, you shouldn't use it!)
Silly boys look at someone offering them a great gift of truth and those silly boys make fun of that gift.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2012, 05:13 AM

His budgets don't have their support
You can't see the YouTube Video?
No. The only reason I knew it was there was seeing the link.

So, I ask you again. Nothing about this seems the slightest bit fishy to you?

Did Obama not check with any of them to see if they supported it?

I mean, this vote makes him look bad, right? Why would he do something that makes himself look bad like that?

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
No. The only reason I knew it was there was seeing the link.
So, I ask you again. Nothing about this seems the slightest bit fishy to you?
Did Obama not check with any of them to see if they supported it?
I mean, this vote makes him look bad, right? Why would he do something that makes himself look bad like that?
This may have been the last time Reid even scheduled a budget vote.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/163347-senate-votes-unanimously-against-obama-budget
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2012, 07:35 AM

His budgets don't have their support

Tell me with a straight face you really think Obama doesn't have the support of his party. This doesn't seem the slightest bit fishy to you?

From your link:

Democratic aides said ahead of the vote that the Democratic caucus would not support the plan because it has been supplanted by the deficit-reduction plan Obama outlined at a speech at George Washington University in April.
No Democratic senator was willing to support it, however, after Obama discussed a more ambitious plan at George Washington University to save $4 trillion over 12 years.
Do you think this supports your position?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2012, 07:37 AM

Speaking of Chongo...

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3735...n-vouchers.htm
Wait a second... so Ryan does the same cuts, using the same method, the only difference is with his plan the elderly could be on the hook for unexpected costs.
Can you explain to me why Obama's plan is scarier? And no, not because it passed, as the Republicans support the same cuts.

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2012, 08:02 AM

IPAB AKA death panel versus vouchers
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 16, 2012, 08:43 AM

I do not have the inclination to even attempt debunking that one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2012, 11:36 AM

This may have been the last time Reid even scheduled a budget vote.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/163347-senate-votes-unanimously-against-obama-budget
C'mon Chongo... you're so close to a breakthrough here.

Read that article. Third paragraph. First sentence. Who called for the vote? Harry Reid?

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2012, 12:40 PM

Oh that's right, Reid hasn't called for a budget bill vote in close three years!
45/47

kimosABE
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2012, 05:12 PM

Speaking of Chongo...
Can you explain to me why Obama's plan is scarier? And no, not because it passed, as the Republicans support the same cuts.
I hope this answers your question.

“I know there is an effort by some people to try to bring as much confusion to the topic of Medicare as possible but I want to bring as much clarity as possible, so I have prepared a small chart here,” the Republican hopeful said.

He drew two columns on the line, one marked “Obama” and the second marked “Romney,” saying his plan presents no change to Medicare for those over 55 while the president’s, he claimed, would cut $716 billion from the program, take 4 million people from Medicare rolls and see some 15 percent of hospitals and nursing homes refusing to accept Medicare patients.

For the plan for future generations, he wrote two simple words — “bankrupt” under Obama and “solvent” under Romney.

“Which of these two do you think is better, going bankrupt or being solvent?” he asked a woman who queried his plan. Perhaps realizing the answer was not in doubt, he then answered his own question. “Well, obviously, being solvent."
http://www.newsmax.com/US/romney-white-board-medicare/2012/08/16/id/448839

Obama Plan

Cut $716 billion from the program
Takes 4 million people from Medicare rolls
Sees some 15 percent of hospitals & nursing
homes refusing to accept Medicare patients.

Romney Plan

No Change for 55+ y/o

Future Generation Under Obama

Bankrupt

Future Generation Under Romney

Solvent

Here's the video.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dt-vTzCLiTr8&v=t-vTzCLiTr8&gl=US

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2012, 07:32 PM

Oh that's right, Reid hasn't called for a budget bill vote in close three years!
You're jumping ahead. I'll be pleased as punch to cover that, but first things first.

I asked you why would Obama put out a budget he couldn't get a single Democratic Senator to vote for. You implied it was a big mistake by Harry Reid.

That obviously wasn't the answer.

The same questions still remain. Can't Obama simply ask the Democratic Senators if they like his budget? When Obama says "get me Chuck Schumer on the line" do you think that Schumer doesn't answer the phone? Did he not talk to a single Democratic Senator about this?

BTW, I can get you hundreds of quotes from Harry Reid about his budget discussions with Republicans. You think Reid doesn't talk with Obama about the budget?

Chongo  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2012, 08:16 PM

You're jumping ahead. I'll be pleased as punch to cover that, but first things first.
I asked you why would Obama put out a budget he couldn't get a single Democratic Senator to vote for. You implied it was a big mistake by Harry Reid.
That obviously wasn't the answer.
The same questions still remain. Can't Obama simply ask the Democratic Senators if they like his budget? When Obama says "get me Chuck Schumer on the line" do you think that Schumer doesn't answer the phone? Did he not talk to a single Democratic Senator about this?
BTW, I can get you hundreds of quotes from Harry Reid about his budget discussions with Republicans. You think Reid doesn't talk with Obama about the budget?
Obama can have them all over for his special home brew and pretzels and talk away. The Senate hasn't passed a budget in three years. From his home town paper

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-15/news/ct-edit-resolutions-0815-jm-20120815_1_resolutions-house-members-occasional-lawmaker
Happy National Registered Apprenticeship Month! Join us in a celebration of the 75th anniversary of the National Apprenticeship Act, which you can Google if you care. We have a feeling you don't.

That special designation is among more than 350 commemorative resolutions passed by the 112th U.S. Senate. That's the same chamber of Congress that, for more than three years, hasn't found the time to pass a federal budget.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2012, 08:37 PM

C'mon. You won't answer a single question?

Forum Links
Forum Rules