Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White Macbook with a probably dead battery

White Macbook with a probably dead battery
ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2016, 06:04 AM

My old 2007 Macbook (so not my main computer) was dead this at the weekend after not using it for a few months. I reset the SMC (battery out and power disconnected, press power button for 5 seconds, connect it up again and turn on), and it gets to the desktop and works fine now except for the battery menu saying Not Charging and Condition: Replace Now. I've reset the PRAM and that made no difference, and the green light on the magsafe plug is on. If I unplug the Magsafe with the computer on, it shuts down instantly. I can't check whether its the charger plug or battery, the only other Magsafe charger I have is for my MBP 13" Retina, it has a wider plug and won't fit the white MacBook's connector.

Is there anything else I can do, or is it, as I think it is, a knackered battery (its a 9 year old computer now, so its way past any kind of warranty or Applecare). Where is the best place to get a new battery?

If its any use, this is the battery information in the system profile, the Macbook model number is A1181

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Manufacturer: DP
Device Name: ASMB013
Pack Lot Code: 1
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 102
Hardware Revision: 300
Cell Revision: 100
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 0
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4993
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 208
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 7251

There are batteries for sale on Amazon Amazon.co.uk: mac battery a1181, but they look like 3rd party units, not Apple original (Branded as Masione, Lavolta, Selectec etc.) so I'm a bit suspect of those. Are those batteries ok? From what I've read on them, they can be ok for a few charges then die. I can't find original Apple batteries for sale.

The Apple recycle computer service says its worthless, so if the battery is dead and I can't get a new one, what can I do with an old Macbook with a knackered battery?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2016, 11:58 AM

reader50
Administrator
Mar 14, 2016, 12:42 PM

I bought this one two years ago. It cost more than most generics, but the reviews were better. It is still going strong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules