Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Moving To NYC, Looking For Housing Suggestions

Moving To NYC, Looking For Housing Suggestions
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2006, 11:59 PM

Alright peeps, after months of hurry-up-and-wait crap with the Smithsonian's HR department I was offered finally the job I have been waiting for since March. As of 07 August I will be running the IT shop at the lower Manhattan branch of the National Museum of the American Indian (the George Gustav Heye Center at Bowling Green).

So, I've been doing some preliminary apartment searching but now I've got to start in earnest. I have been looking in Harlem, East Harlem, and Bed-Stuy. I can afford $1500 for a small two bedroom or a one-bedroom+den--Actually I can afford much more than that I just don't want to spend that much money on housing--so, anyone got any suggestions on other places to look or specific neighborhoods/streets to seek out or, more important, to avoid.

Thanks!

I'll let you NYC MacNN'ers each have a turn taking me out for beer once I arrive in town.
So, no need to rush in with the offers just now. I need to find a place to live first. ; -)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 12:14 AM

Can't offer much other than congratulations, and an obvious joke: Will you be getting the new nick nycmacdaddy?

*ducks rotting vegetables*

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Can't offer much other than congratulations, and an obvious joke: Will you be getting the new nick nycmacdaddy?

*ducks rotting vegetables*
When I was given the dcmacdaddy moniker by a friend back in 1997 I had been living in DC for less than four years. Now, it seems more to do with where I live, but the "dc" does/did stand for my initials.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 09:47 AM

Well, anyone of any consequence lives in Jersey.

Congrats on the job.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 03:54 PM

Not too sure $1500 is going to get you too much in "the city". If you live in one of the boroughs it can be 45min to work via train ..... so at that point you might as well live in Jersey ( which is a miserable hell ) and commute, but saving a good bit of $. Seriously, I'd look at Harlem. A lot of good things happening up there. Huge prewar places on the cheap.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
When I was given the dcmacdaddy moniker by a friend back in 1997 I had been living in DC for less than four years. Now, it seems more to do with where I live, but the "dc" does/did stand for my initials.
Time to legally change your name.

Personally, I think Yancy will make a fine middle name.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by medicineman
Well, anyone of any consequence lives in Jersey.

Congrats on the job.

*is currently living in new jersey*

"I start fires!"

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2006, 09:20 PM

Dude, 1500 bones isn't going to get you too much here...

You'll have to live pretty far away from Manhattan. Example, my place downtown around Wallstreet is 2400 for a studio loft.

As far as the neighborhoods you mentioned...you know they are 100s of blocks away from midtown Manhattan. Where's your office going to be?

-Josh

PS - Best city in the freaking world!
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JFischel
As far as the neighborhoods you mentioned...you know they are 100s of blocks away from midtown Manhattan. Where's your office going to be?
he said it was at Bowling Green. Harlem's gonna be quite a trip, you may want to look into brooklyn, which is much more convenient. Brooklyn Heights is the closest (but most expensive) area of brooklyn. It's one of the nicest areas of the city to live, but $1500 will get you a small studio. As you get farther out to Park Slope et al, you get more space but your commute gets longer as well.

"I start fires!"

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2006, 09:33 PM

Where will you be working? uptown or downtown? if uptown, then harlem or queens. if dowtown, brooklyn.

queens is getting better I hear and it's pretty close to R train stops. try astoria or jackson heights. are you searching craigslist and other local listings?

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2006, 01:53 PM

Honestly, you're gonna be lucky to get a decent studio for $1500.....if you want a two bedroom in Manhattan, you're really looking at more like $2500 for (most likely) a shadey place that isn't a TRUE 2-br. Unfortunately, prepare to lower your standards and raise the $ ceiling. Most NYers spend something like 40%+ of their income on housing. It sucks, but you just gotta get passed it, and you'll love the city.
( Last edited by Josh Reid; Jul 2, 2006 at 02:05 PM. )

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Reid
Honestly, you're gonna be lucky to get a decent studio for $1500.....if you want a two bedroom in Manhattan, you're really looking at more like $2500 for (most likely) a shadey place that isn't a TRUE 2-br. Unfortunately, prepare to lower your standards and raise for $ ceiling. Most NYers spend something like 40%+ of their income on housing. It sucks, but you just gotta get past it, and you'll love the city.
Oh, I love the City; I am up there every 3-4 months for work and/or pleasure. But I have no plans whatsoever to live in Manhattan exactly because I don't want to pay 40%+ of my income for housing costs. That's why I said I have been looking at Brookyln or Harlem and have been asking for suggestions about . . . Brooklyn or Harlem; Manhattan isn't even a consideration for me.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2006, 02:33 PM

psst... Harlem is Manhattan

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
psst... Harlem is Manhattan
Harlem is ON the island of Manhattan yes but it is most definitely NOT considered part of the region known as Manhattan. Heck, even New Yorkers distinguish it as a (perceived) separate geographic entity when they talk about it. You can tell anyone in Brooklyn or Queens you are going "into Manhattan" and they will assume you are going someplace south of 110th street (usually south of 92nd street). No one will ever assume going "into Manhattan" means going above 110th street; You would say I am going "to Harlem". Manhattan the geographic place and Manhattan the "conceptual place" are two distinct entities.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 12:14 AM

Have you considered living with a roommate? At $3000 for a 2BR or $4500 for a 3BR you will find better deals.

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Harlem is ON the island of Manhattan yes but it is most definitely NOT considered part of the region known as Manhattan. Heck, even New Yorkers distinguish it as a (perceived) separate geographic entity when they talk about it. You can tell anyone in Brooklyn or Queens you are going "into Manhattan" and they will assume you are going someplace south of 110th street (usually south of 92nd street). No one will ever assume going "into Manhattan" means going above 110th street; You would say I am going "to Harlem". Manhattan the geographic place and Manhattan the "conceptual place" are two distinct entities.
Sorry, gotta disagree here....every NYer I know, live with, work with, and socialize with considers Harlem a part of Manhattan...hell, even Inwood is considered a part of Manhattan, and that's practically in the North Pole...I'm sure the folks who live on the UWS (not even Harlem really) on 100th & Bway would disagree with you that everyone conceptualizes them as not living in Manhattan..

Edited to add: "Boundaries: The East Harlem/El Barrio (Spanish Harlem) community stretches from First Avenue to Fifth Avenue and from East 96th Street to East 125th Street. Central Harlem stretches from Central Park North to the Harlem River and from Fifth Avenue to St. Nicholas Avenue. West Harlem, including Hamilton Heights and Sugar Hill, stretches from 123rd to 155th Streets and from St. Nicholas Avenue to the Hudson River."

Forum Links
Forum Rules