Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What will change your mind??

What will change your mind??
mduell
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by spiky_dog View Post
i know what feature i'm hoping for: gps + trip navigation. that'd kill yet another bird, and the beautiful touchscreen display and apple's prowess for interface design would seemingly be a match made in heaven.
No GPS... Apple is targeting about a year-old standard (no GPS, no 3G data, etc) for the iPhone's radios.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 01:39 PM

If any of you are teeter-tottering about getting the iphone, what will change your mind? For me personally if they say that all you have to do is renew your plan without having to get a data plan then I will get it... I figure that as long as there is a wifi bubble around I can use the internet... I will be happy with the phone features and ipod features by themselves... the internet just happens to be a really good perk. and didnt god... i mean steve jobs say something about Yahoo mail being free???

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 10:59 AM

I plan on getting one on Friday the 29th. What could change my mind is a combination of things:

1.) If there are no major unannounced features revealed before the 29th

AND

2.) If the required AT&T voice/data plan is prohibatively expensive (> $100/mo.)

AND

3.) Demand > Supply on Day One and they're hard to get

THEN

4.) The first reviews trickle in and they are negative or decidedly mixed

If all those stars line up and form the perfect storm, then PERHAPS I could wait for iPhone 2. Otherwise, I'm there on Day One. For what it's worth, I think there WILL be some previously unannounced killer feature detailed prior to the iPhone's release - possibly as early as Monday 6/11 at WWDC. Then again, that could be wishful thinking.

I also choose to believe rumors that another unannounced surprise is that there will be some financial incentive to take the sting off that $599 pricetag - at least for brand new AT&T customers.

My 2 cents.

Good thread, Tommy.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 01:22 PM

I'm going to try and get one pretty much on launch day, so the only thing that could change my mind is probably the price of the AT&T voice + data plan. I can't believe we STILL don't know for sure how much this thing is going to cost each month.

I don't know what kind of new features you're expecting, DigitalEI, but I'm not counting on any unannounced hardware features anyway. I do expect the iPhone's software to get a number of revisions before we see a new hardware release, and there will certainly be new functionality provided in the form of new widgets and so forth, though, so it's not like the feature set is set in stone.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 01:43 PM

i know what feature i'm hoping for: gps + trip navigation. that'd kill yet another bird, and the beautiful touchscreen display and apple's prowess for interface design would seemingly be a match made in heaven.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by icruise
I don't know what kind of new features you're expecting, DigitalEI, but I'm not counting on any unannounced hardware features anyway.
I don't know either. That's the beauty of Apple. Remember before the iPhone's introduction, all the concepts and ideas some pretty talented people were coming up with? Well Steve stepped onto the stage back in January and blew all of them away. Nobody even had a wildest guess as to how cool this thing would look. That's Apple. Besides making calls, the killer app or killer feature is something we don't even know we need yet. Something we haven't even dreamed of.

I'm satisfied with the feature-set as presented, but I'd just be a little surprised if Steve wasn't holding something close to the vest for an "And one more thing" moment. There is a 12th icon on that homescreen. That's a fact. It was there. The newest commercial(s) have been recut to not show us that anymore. That could be what I'm talking about.

Just thinking out loud. Half the fun of being a Mac fan is this sort of wild, pre-launch speculation. As an unabashed geek, I love this!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 02:56 PM

Has Apple ever kept an amazing feature of a product a secret until just before it shipped? Not that I can recall (although admittedly the iPhone has a much longer gap between its announcement and launch than any other Apple product that I can think of). What advantage would it be to Apple to keep such a feature a secret?

The only reason I could see for doing something like this is if it was software-based and they wanted extra time to finish it or make negotiations of some sort (if they were going to make Youtube available on the iPhone, for example). Since the iPhone hardware has already gone through FCC approval and all, I don't think the hardware can hide any major secrets.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 03:10 PM

I just can't imagine what this "killer app" would even be. I think they just delayed the launch to make sure there were ZERO glitches.. Like I said, as long as I dont HAVE to get a data plan I will be happy... I'm willing to pay for the phone but if its going to be something like 40$ more a month on top of the plan I already have then I just cant do it....

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 03:39 PM

My family is currently on one a Tmo family plan (4 phones, 1000 minutes, unlimited messaging all around for about $100/mo), but my dad wants an iPhone. Dropping his line from Tmo saves $10/mo, but getting an iPhone with voice and data is $80/mo ($120/mo with tethering), nearly doubling their overall monthly phone bill. Unless they come out with a competitive iPhone data package ($20/mo for unlimited data+tethering instead of the current $40+40/mo) and maybe a lower voice tier, I doubt my dad will switch.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 03:48 PM

We don't know what the costs are yet. When I asked at a Cingular store, they said they thought it would be $40 + $30.

I just wish Cingular/AT&T would offer voice plans that were less than $40 a month. I don't need that many minutes.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by icruise on June 10th
I don't know what kind of new features you're expecting, DigitalEI, but I'm not counting on any unannounced hardware features anyway.
Originally Posted by icruise on June 10th
Has Apple ever kept an amazing feature of a product a secret until just before it shipped?
Would it be wrong to say I told you so? I'm glad they held some stuff close to the vest. I'm more excited for the glass front & battery life than for the YouTube app, although that was a nice surprise, too.

I'll even get greedy. Here's to hoping even more unexpected goodness unfolds in the next 8 days.
Originally Posted by icruise
The only reason I could see for doing something like this is if it was software-based and they wanted extra time to finish it or make negotiations of some sort (if they were going to make Youtube available on the iPhone, for example).
Nice. Very prophetic.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 08:49 AM

I'm hitting one AT&T store on the way home from work. If they don't have them or are sold out, I'll wait until the demand wanes a bit.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 21, 2007, 09:59 AM

The only thing that would change my mind is if this thing doesn't have voice dial. There is no reason to believe it doesn't, and every phone on the market does nowadays.

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 03:43 PM

Not that this would necessarily change my mind, but I would like to know more detail about the difference between going to an Apple store and an ATT store. I HAVE to port my number and if I'm going to be barred from doing that if I go to an Apple store....

I would prefer to go to an Apple store despite the likely lines and choas; I just don't like going to cell phone retailers.
Custom furniture: Steel, wood, concrete. Concrete counter tops.
http://mhayesdesign.com
http://theconcreature.com

buymeaniphone
Banned
Jun 21, 2007, 03:56 PM

I think the biggest factor that would change my mind is the price of the phone plans. I mean $500 is expensive enough, if they try to rape us on the Phone and Data plan then I might have to wait and see how long it takes for someone to unlock it. Then I'll just buy it off of one of my cingular buddies and use it with Tmobile minus the visual voicemail.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 04:22 PM

Well, I'm in the market to replace my cellphone (it has a tendency to shut itself off, which is very irksome), so the iPhone's something I'm considering. I need to try it before I use it, and the fine print on the AT&T side could be a problem, since my contract will be in its 18th month when I return from overseas (I'll be gone during launch day), and it's a family plan, too, so that could cause complications. So just usability and pricing (the $600 price tag for the 8GB that I'd be aiming for is less of an issue).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

mduell  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 05:01 PM

The talk of an iPhone plan raises my optimism. The AT&T options for BlackBerries are awful.

T-mobile: 1000 minutes w/ unlimited nights/weekends ($40) + 400 sms ($5) + unlimited data w/ tethering ($20) = $65/mo
AT&T: 900 minutes w/ unlimited nights/weekends ($60) + 200 sms ($5) + unlimited data w/ tethering ($60) = $125/mo

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 07:26 PM

They should do a deal that when you're standing in line, you get a promotional pack of Zantac to help is the ulcers and heartburn this is giving all of us in anticipation of the details.
Custom furniture: Steel, wood, concrete. Concrete counter tops.
http://mhayesdesign.com
http://theconcreature.com

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 11:50 PM

A second or third revision. A much lower price. A choice in provider, or at least a nicely set up payment option allowing for much cheaper usage. (I don't call many people. I don't want to pay huge amounts for something I never use.) Maybe a Prepaid option. Yeah. Prepaid where I only pay for what I use.

I haven't gotten to the point in my life where I need to call people so often. I barely use the 300 minutes I am alloted every 90 days... or is it 60? I forget. But I barely use it. I just want it for the Wow factor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules