Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Skipping an OS: 10.4 to 10.6

Skipping an OS: 10.4 to 10.6
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 10:17 AM

My parents bought "the new" iPad... They also bought a wireless router because they have been hard-wired to the modem ever since I moved out years ago. They are running 10.4 on their 1st gen intel iMac and it won't run the cisco/linksys router software therefore they haven't been able to set up their iPad... It's kind of a cluster-f because I'm not home to help.

Bottom line: I have a Snow Leopard disk. Will it be ok for them to skip from 10.4 to 10.6 without hurting/corrupting anything?

Thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2012, 10:35 AM

Its been a while but I think so, yes.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
May 30, 2012, 10:56 AM

If you have a full 10.6 disc, then yes it seems that it will work - there are enough reports online that it will.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
...it won't run the cisco/linksys router software therefore they haven't been able to...
Your question is off base. Despite what Linksys wants you to think, no special software is required to configure the wireless router, so the Mac doesn't need to be updated. The router configuration is all done through a web-based interface.

Linksys Router Setup: How To Setup Linksys Routers

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Your question is off base. Despite what Linksys wants you to think, no special software is required to configure the wireless router, so the Mac doesn't need to be updated. The router configuration is all done through a web-based interface.

Linksys Router Setup: How To Setup Linksys Routers
Interesting... That could be the ticket.

Thanks!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 12:05 PM

You might need an ethernet cable, though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2012, 01:48 PM

There's no reason not to run at least 10.5 if not 10.6 on a first generation Intel iMac. 10.4 has gotten very limited.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
There's no reason not to run at least 10.5 if not 10.6 on a first generation Intel iMac. 10.4 has gotten very limited.
I'll be in town this weekend so I'll go ahead and install 10.6 and help them with anything else. My dad said he had an external HD so I'll back everything up to cover my ass just in case it decides not to cooperate. I figure once they get their iPad up and running they will rarely use their Mac.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Really? I Run 10.4 on my laptop and 10.6 on my desktop and aside from the terrible QT implementation in 10.6 I don't even notice the difference.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2012, 02:15 PM

It seems that way to me. I've had trouble getting newer browser releases and printer drivers in particular over on the 10.4 side. I've also found that many newer apps refuse to run on 10.4. Plus, Apple doesn't support 10.4 with updates anymore. 10.5 seems much more capable to me at least.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 02:33 PM

Good point on the apps. I think there are one or two I can't use on my laptop, but its nothing important and it's my casual use machine.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 04:14 PM

I still run both .4 and .5 systems and just recently upgraded my router to a linksys. Biggest issue that am having is that my .4 laptop has issues connecting to the router wirelessly as it does not like WPA2 and after hours of trying to sort it have still not found a solution.

As said above the only real differences though between the OS is that .5 allows you access to more apps. Though timemachine is nice (though i have never has to use it)
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 04:22 PM

Oh god, I'm an idiot, my MacBook is on 10.5.

Still, goes to show how much it matters anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules