Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever Wish Your Mac Was a Bit More Fruity?

Ever Wish Your Mac Was a Bit More Fruity?
Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2012, 03:21 AM

I was just looking on eBay at a Keylime iBook and ... ever wish your Mac was still crazy fun fruity colours? I realize that now they're high end and classy, it's a brand that went from being a goofy teenager to a sexy professional ... but if Apple came out tomorrow with a special edition 13 inch MacBook Pro that could fit into the same style case as the original iBook, (though probably still far thinner) am I the only one who would jump at the chance to own one?

Now not all of the designs were timeless. The original iMac isn't one that would fit on a lot of desks these days, but if you could get a lamp shade iMac with an updated screen and processor wouldn't that be killer?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2012, 01:23 PM

I think it was Waragainstsleep who mentioned the gooseneck was more trouble that it's worth. Difficult to ship safely without the original box, and a bitch to repair. I guess the spring in the 17-incher is under some mighty strong tension.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2012, 02:00 PM

It's a big spring and hard to set. I have my 17"er in the library running the book database and as an MP3 client. I still works perfectly, though web browsing with it isn't what I'd call a very enjoyable experience. People still comment whenever they see it for the first time, most are unaware that Apple made something like that.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2012, 02:10 PM

The new designs and everything are nice ... I just wish we could have some good old nostalgia pieces that still would run well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
It's a big spring and hard to set. I have my 17"er in the library running the book database and as an MP3 client. I still works perfectly, though web browsing with it isn't what I'd call a very enjoyable experience. People still comment whenever they see it for the first time, most are unaware that Apple made something like that.
My friend had a 14" he was very sad to decommission, but Photoshop CS2 is pretty brutal on a G4. It didn't take much to convince him he was hurting himself.

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2012, 09:13 PM

the ibook form factor was really great. I sometimes wish they still sold something like that, but then I realize its purpose (ease of use, small size for small kid hands, portable, sturdy) has been replaced by an iPad with an Otterbox case.

They should make a flowerpower Otterbox case.

(I'm kidding. even that was a bit much for me.)

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2012, 09:38 PM

My daughter has my old 17" lamp iMac. Still running great.

As for my 27" iMac, oh it's plenty fruity!

On an unrelated note: Let's bring back phallic microphones for female singers. Down with the headsets! Up with the phalluses!
( Last edited by Face Ache; Jun 24, 2012 at 09:47 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2012, 09:53 PM

If those aren't phalluses, why are they flesh toned?

Forum Links
Forum Rules