Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad mini

iPad mini (Page 2)
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2012, 06:25 AM

When will this rollercoaster ride end?!

P
Oct 13, 2012, 02:54 AM

Dalrymple confirmed the October 23rd thing, so it's likely then that the magic happens.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

saysaywatson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2012, 04:49 AM

I'm a bit disappointed - I was hoping the iPad mini would look a bit different than just an iPad that's been through the wash. I was hoping for an edge-to-edge screen!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Dalrymple confirmed the October 23rd thing, so it's likely then that the magic happens.
If so, that means we should see invitations go out this week.

BTW, The Next Web is claiming it's also going to focus on iBooks.

1024x768 non-retina on an iPad mini would be OK for an eBook reader, although higher rez would be preferable. As I mentioned before an 1024x768 iPad mini would be 163 ppi, which is significantly higher than the original iPad obviously, and higher than the 11" MacBook Air.

---

MacRumors has received photos claiming the iPad mini has a 16.7 Watt-hr battery.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2012, 10:50 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/14/apple-ipad-mini-price-models/

8 - 64GB, Wifi or Wifi/Cellular, black or white, €249-€649 in Germany

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2012, 01:05 PM

With a €249 price, does that mean a US$249 iPad mini? That would be for an 8 GB WiFi. Recently, I'd been thinking they'd do a 16 GB $299 model as the entry level, but if the entry level is 8 GB, $249 makes sense. However, that German pricing has the 16 GB WiFi at €349. That seems expensive.

P
Oct 14, 2012, 11:46 PM

Mediamarkt is like Best Buy on this side of the pond, and I suspect that they do what Best Buy does - guess wildly. All that pic means is that something is coming - and we more than suspected that anyway.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 06:20 AM

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 08:28 AM

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2012, 08:52 AM

24 or 16 individual models, the 3 BETTER, BEST BTR and BEST on the second one are probably 3 capacities of 8/16/32 or 16/32/64 with black/white and Wifi/Cellular for each. (I misread the table as 12, not 24.) Depending on price I might actually get one of these, as a lower capacity Wifi model, 8GB might be too low though. Come on 23rd!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2012, 01:19 PM

8GB is too small, especially with the size of apps today.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2012, 03:30 PM

I can't believe they would offer not offer 64GB option for an iPad Mini, especially if they offer 64GB for an iPod Touch.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
8GB is too small, especially with the size of apps today.
I currently have less than 4 GB used on my Nexus 7.

However, that's because I don't have any large games, I do most of my video viewing at home is via streaming, and I use an external flash drive elsewhere.

Still, for entry level models, I think 8 GB is OK, although I'd say 16 GB is probably the sweet spot.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2012, 09:29 AM

This is actually kind of exciting because we have no real clue and there are so many possible variants for Apple in the midsize space:

• A loss-leading e-reader aggressively priced with the Nooks and aimed at bringing that segment into the Apple ecosystem.

• A (relatively) thin light midsize iPad priced aggressively.

• A phablet, giving a super large size phone option, priced like an iPhone. IMO this could be big for anyone with a way to carry such a device: folks carrying purses, anyone with a uniform, backpack, etc. And release a competent boom-mic BT headset concurrently.

BTW if anyone knows a really good smartphone-oriented Bluetooth true headset with boom mic I would love to hear about it.

Personally I would like to see all 3 next week but Tim Cook may consider that to be too much initial complexity for the supply chain.

Apple has done a great job keeping the specifics secret. Contrast that with the MS vaporware Surface tablets vapor-announced in June. MS finally alleges to present the crippled RT Surface tablet on the 26th with Win8RT. In June I said the sleaze vaporware marketing might seriously bite MS in the butt and now it seems very likely with the marker space leader introducing dramatic new products on the 23rd.

-Allen

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2012, 12:52 PM

We have several clues, not the least of which is an LCD part leak with a screen dimension of 162x124 mm. That works out to a screen size of 7.97", which, accounting for unused space at the edges, would jive very well with the rumoured 7.85" size. That in turn, makes the iPad mini pixel density the exact same as the iPhone 3G. So:

Sub 8" iPad mini, probably 7.85", in a 4:3 screen aspect ratio, with a pixel density of 163 ppi and a resolution of 1024x768.

We also know that it will have the smaller dock connector of course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules