Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Perfect name for the rumoured TV set

Perfect name for the rumoured TV set
Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2012, 11:37 PM

iQuad.

Thoughts?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2012, 01:23 AM

Not sure I get it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2012, 02:42 AM

I know I'm pulling a freudling here, but I just can't see Apple getting into the TV market. I don't know; it seems like such a high-volume, high-turnover, low-margin business. I suppose the rest of their products are also in the same spot, but in the case of the iProducts they at least differentiated themselves from the existing market and created a "must-have" product.

I still see a small, elegant set-top box being the best solution; basically, a more-powerful AppleTV in the iPad/iPhone price range that everyone can use, because it hooks up to an existing TV via HDMI etc. It's the natural evolution of the "Smart TV" that's been happening over the past few years. There's a huge existing market, and to date no one has managed to get the GUI or the process itself quite right (or content providers on-board).

I may be biased, however. I've been looking for this thing for years.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2012, 03:25 AM

I can see them taking share from B&O, and they are a better known brand so they'll grow that sector too, but the set top box will be the big seller. That said it hinges on content and the networks are all terrified that Apple will destroy them. Which they probably should.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2012, 07:55 AM

Smart TV, internet connection, iTunes integration, with iKeyboard and that Samsung thingy where you can swipe your photos from your phone to the TV. I can really see Apple going for this in a big way.

iQuad just doesn't have that Apple 'something'.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2012, 08:35 AM

I hope there is NEVER another i named product ever. It's so dated now, they need to start coming up with real product names, IMO. Also, Sharp already has the SmartTV name.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2012, 08:37 AM

I wish the Apple browser had been called iBrowse. The icon would be eyebrows.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2012, 09:13 AM

AppleCoreTV
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
iQuad.
Thoughts?
Is that a joke? I can't tell.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
I wish the Apple browser had been called iBrowse. The icon would be eyebrows.
iBrowse was my favorite web browser for the Amiga computer; it debuted in 1996 and is still in use.

Regarding an Apple-branded TV: not sure I see the point of making a TV unless it was essentially a 52" iMac but I'd love to see Apple do something more with AppleTV and make it more XBMC-like.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2012, 09:18 AM

Oracle was using 'i' for their database product in 2003. Then there was 'g' for Grid and the next version is going to have 'c' for cloud as part of the name.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2012, 09:49 AM

Like as in quadrilateral. Essentially the iSquare. It's unique enough to become it's own thing like iPod did, but it does make sense as well.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2012, 10:15 AM

Like as in quadrilateral. Essentially the iSquare. It's unique enough to become it's own thing like iPod did, but it does make sense as well.
Are you high?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2012, 10:34 AM

I agree that "television" or "tv" is a stupid and archaic name for something so well-used. It is ripe for a company to rebrand it like "kleenex" for tissues and "xerox" and yes "ipod." iQuad does rhyme with "iPod." And "iPod" itself was pretty boring without the device to make it stick. I think the success of the name depends entirely on having a good product. If the first Apple TV had been as big a hit as the iPod, people would be calling TVs "Apples" by now, like they call generic mp3 players "ipods" (sometimes). Picking the actual name is just an exercise in not screwing up, IMO. As long as it's not iCrap or iCrash, one name is as good as the next.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2012, 10:45 AM

I don't see "TV" dropping out of use. It's like "dialing" a phone, we're stuck with it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2012, 10:53 AM

iQuad.
Thoughts?
Dumb.

-t

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I don't see "TV" dropping out of use. It's like "dialing" a phone, we're stuck with it.
The way dumb words like TV drop out of use is for someone to take the opportunity to do it while they reinvent what the device does. Like the iPhone reinvented smart phones, some people will call a smart phone an iPhone (though it's not really common). So yes, if no one reinvents how we watch TV (or if it's gradual like it's been doing, thus no one "doing" it all at once), the old (terrible) name won't be going anywhere. I'm just thinking that there is still a chance for someone to grab the opportunity to make it otherwise.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2012, 12:35 PM

iQuad.
Thoughts?
pretty awful

Forum Links
Forum Rules