Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can you recommend iBook G3 700/800?

Can you recommend iBook G3 700/800?
Dr.Michael
Jun 7, 2004, 01:03 PM

Hi iBook experts,

I have a very dear friend who asked me to recommend her a notebook. Since she is only going to write, surf the web and email and has limited money, I wanted to recommend a used iBook G3 700 or 800 (this is exactly her price range). I mean the old white one with the alu palmrest.

I am a little bit worried about the logic board failures, but I think it might be possible to buy an already repaired unit.

Can anyone recommend this notebook? Where are the problems? Hows the quality?

Chito
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 02:33 PM

I would HIGHLY recommend a 700/800 mhz iBook. I've got an 800 maxed out with ram and an airport card and I love it. I've had it and used it faithfully for over a year now and haven't had a single problem. Not one. If I ever am faced with the dreaded logic board failure I'll just take it to Apple and get it fixed. I believe they've extended the repair program to cover all of these....if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll hear about it!
Check the Apple store online, go to their special deals section and they've got the 800 for $649....I don't think you can beat that....and you'll still get a full year warranty
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

drive-thru
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 03:02 PM

I also have an 800 and highly recommend it. My tip would be for your friend to put in as much ram as she can afford, at least 256MB. Mine is maxed out to 640MB and runs really well. I often run Photoshop or Illustrator with iTunes and MSN in the background and it has no problems.
I would guess that an Apple refub is the safest bet as far as reliability goes, due to the warranty. I'm not sure on the terms for the logic board repair, whether second-hand ownership counts or not. It would be worth checking if you friend plans to purchase a second-hand iBook.

winwintoo
Jun 7, 2004, 04:00 PM

I had a 600 iBook and used it and abused it for a couple of years - even dropped in on the floor a few times and if anything it worked better after being dropped

I recently got a new PowerBook and the only thing I notice different is that the alu keys on the new PB are harder for these old eyes to see, the screen on the PB is a bit brighter, the power cord plugs in on the opposite side, but other than that, I wonder why I spent the $2K

Sorry there's a line-up already formed for the old iBook, so it's not for sale.

m

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2004, 04:54 PM

I had a 12" iBook G3 800MHz before I upgraded to an iBook G4. The only reason I upgraded was because I missed the AppleCare deadline on the G3; otherwise I would have kept it. It's a great machine, and a bargain nowadays.

mjarski15
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2004, 10:09 PM

I have the iBook 700 14in and I highly recommend it. Great computer and Panther works great on it. Go here for info about the logic board problem
http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/
I know someone with the 800 model and has had a couple of bad logic boards but he says that apple has been good about getting it repaired and if it happens three times they will upgrade his computer (he has one more to go). Not trying to put down the 800 model, both good computers, they're iBooks.
20", 2gigs ram, 500gig HD, 2.16ghz core 2 duo iMac
iBook 700 Combo/14.1
OS X

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jun 8, 2004, 03:20 AM

Thank you for your great input. I did not think about a refurbished iBook. But thats a good idea.

Originally posted by mjarski15:
I know someone with the 800 model and has had a couple of bad logic boards but he says that apple has been good about getting it repaired and if it happens three times they will upgrade his computer (he has one more to go).

mjarski15:
Do you want to say that the logic boards fail again, even after apple has fixed them? :0(

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2004, 03:31 AM

I've got a friend with a 12" 800 G3 iBook and it is still going fine. No logic board problems, and he uses it on really hot days too (think 105 F). I also prefer the way it looks to my G4, and in day to day use I can't really find any performance difference either. Mind you, he has a bit more ram (I only have 256).
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2004, 11:30 AM

HUGE difference between 700 and 800... try and get the 800 if possible.
we don't have time to stop for gas

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2004, 02:36 PM

I would suggest your friend to invest in something else. I would definetly not recommend any G3 iBook at all, because of the logic board malfunction.

good luck

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 08:54 PM

I got my Dad a new 12" 700 G3 iBook in November from Small Dog. It works great, and as a new switcher he's in love. I have seen new 800's for $700 or lower...makes a great first Mac, especially for simpler tasks like you mentioned...Highly recommended.

Thorts

xmishx
Jun 9, 2004, 01:01 AM

I have the 700MHz machine maxed out on ram with an airport card. With the exception of 2 logic board replacements, it has been a great laptop for me. Judging from what your friend needs the computer for, should be a good choice.

X

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
mjarski15:
Do you want to say that the logic boards fail again, even after apple has fixed them? :0(
Yes because initially Apple just replaced the motherboard with the same version. LAter, they redesigned it (apparently moved the video card around) and it supposedly should not fail anymore.

The Ibook 700-800 G3 is a very good choice for the basic use you mentionned. Besides it has a good airport reception in case she wants to go wireless. I use Ichat for video chat without any problems too.

villa

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jun 10, 2004, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Later, they redesigned it (apparently moved the video card around) and it supposedly should not fail anymore.

villa
Ah, thanks. This is the info I liked to hear. So it should be safe to buy a refurb from the apple store.

I think I check this with apple tech support. If I get a good answer, I will post it here.

damosan
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2004, 01:12 PM

I am a little bit worried about the logic board failures, but I think it might be possible to buy an already repaired unit.
I've had my dual 700 for just about two years now and it's working great.

No failures...no logic board issues, no nothing. Well, I did have a battery fail after five months but Apple replaced it.

My iBook has turned out to be quite a workhorse of a machine. I'd reccomend something a little faster though.

Damo

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jun 15, 2004, 01:55 PM

Ah, thanks. This is the info I liked to hear. So it should be safe to buy a refurb from the apple store.

I think I check this with apple tech support. If I get a good answer, I will post it here.
Hi all,

I called the apple tech support and asked them if the problem is solved after the logic board has been exchanged. They could not guarantee. So I asked if they replace the broken logic board with an updated version or if they put in the same model. No clear reply. The support people don't seem to know.

So I called an authorized repair center and asked the same question. They also did not know.

Since the warranty of the iBooks is not prolonged after the repair, it is not sure if apple simply knows that the problem arises after 1.5 years average (or later) and replaces the defect part with the same that will do another 1.5 years and fails the second time after the repair program is over.

Bad. Why don't they know this important answer?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2004, 08:22 PM

That�s why I wouldn�t recommend a G3 iBook at all. I�m stuck with one that works today, tomorrow I do not know. A computer without a warranty of reliability is useless. A company that doesn�t answer sincerely to its clients, makes me think twice about its moral solvency.

Doc... I'm glad you continued doing some research on the matter. I would advice you to go to apple.com to support, choose discussions go to the iBook section.. dual usb and read away..preferably from 6 months until today. No biased comments, just the truth.

regards

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jun 21, 2004, 04:52 PM

Hi Guys,

thank you all again for your tips.

We found a brand new iBook G4/800 MHz for 999 � today (new ones are 1199) and bought it. Some left over models are reduced in the moment. Bettina is very happy and so am I.

Michael

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2004, 05:10 PM

Great.. enjoy the new G4.

regards

Forum Links
Forum Rules