Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wal*Mart

Wal*Mart
Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 03:37 AM

Wal*Mart

� Destroys communities

� Engages in unfair labor practices

� Has racist and sexist employing record

� Undercuts mom and pop businesses

� Rapes foreign countries and uses sweat shop labor

� Wreaks havoc on the environment with sprawling parking lots, flimsy construction and careless waste management

� Forces other businesses to assimilate these cost cutting business practices in order to compete

� Advertises on MacNN

http://tribalfusion.speedera.net/m.t...gin_728X90.gif
[All inline images must be no wider than 480 pixels. --tooki]

Educate yourself.

Fight the power.
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 6, 2004 at 12:44 PM. )

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 03:41 AM

Hey, you can't fight "progress"!

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 05:04 AM

I hate Wal Mart as much as the next guy...

But it's sooo convenient.

And to think Sammy started it because he hated K-Mart.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
[Don't quote messages with large inline images.--tooki]
dood you should totally put them out of business.
( Last edited by tooki; Aug 6, 2004 at 12:46 PM. )
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 05:20 AM

I prefer target -- granted they do the same damn thing they tend to have cleaner stores, a better layout, and of course less crowded!

The walmart here is notorious for closing down all but 1 express lane and 1 regular lane during peak times. Well.. until they got rid of the express lanes entirely

Self checkout is the stupidest thing on earth.
Aloha

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 07:13 AM

Thankfully we don't have many Walmarts. The ones we have are in inconvient areas. We do have Meijers (a regional store in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and other places.) They started the whole Supercenter thing way back. Their stores are a cross between a Walmart , Target and Grocery store. They are quite nice, some the older ones need up dating, but in general very nice. They last time I was in a Walmart for over 2 years ago and It was disgusting and that was the store. The customers were beyond discription. I think Walmart is more evil than M$.
"This is fun, right?"

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 09:27 AM

Hey, my girlfriend works at Wal*Mart! So does a good friend of mine, but they would probably agree with you.

Actually my one friend believes the high-life would be managing one of those stores, I believe it is a dead-end job with average wages.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 09:39 AM

I hate wal-mart for no real reason at all. I don't care about the sweat-shops, racist hiring, blah blah blah. But if a greeter says hello to me again I'm going to beat him-her to death with their own arm.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
But if a greeter says hello to me again I'm going to beat him-her to death with their own arm.
You're a ****ing asshole.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 09:46 AM

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 09:54 AM

I tend to avoid shopping at Wal-Mart when I can, though I am not a fanatic about it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by IonCable:
We do have Meijers (a regional store in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and other places.) They started the whole Supercenter thing way back. Their stores are a cross between a Walmart , Target and Grocery store.
Are you sure Fred Meyers doesn't hold that title? I was under the impression that they started the whole 'One stop shopping' thing.

You reap what you sow.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 10:13 AM

I love WalMart and do most of my shopping there. In fact a Ingelwood voted not to allow one to open in there city, so I now boycott all Ingelwood businesses. I now have to find a new Eye Doctor and other stores in other cities. I stay away from Ingelwood, they are evil.

Walmart is good.

Turias
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 10:24 AM

I also refuse to shop at WalMart. It's all about Target (and they're based locally).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2004, 10:49 AM

Meh, I don't go to WalMart, I prefer Sam's Club. Same company, usually better prices.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hayesk
Aug 6, 2004, 11:25 AM

I hate even driving in front of a Walmart. Why there, more than anywhere else, do parents believe pushing their baby strollers out into traffic in front of Walmart, believe it instantly stops traffic? I've seen many near misses (and had some myself) only to have the ignorant parent yell at the driver.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 12:00 PM

The walmart employee handbook include information on how to apply for public assistance.
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 12:03 PM

The advertising on TV always seems so positive. I have never been to a Walmart Store.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
The advertising on TV always seems so positive.
It's also total shite. I saw an ad on TV here where they had some guys making a playground and how great it is to give back to the community. I then saw the exact same commercial in Denver, only the white overlay text at the beginning had the location changed from Toronto to Denver.

Oh, and in Quebec a union has been ratified!
( Last edited by GoGoReggieXPowars; Aug 6, 2004 at 12:17 PM. )

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
You're a ****ing asshole.
You work at walmart don't you?

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
You work at walmart don't you?
I did back in high school. It wasn't a paying job, it was part of some crappy class.

The people at the front door (atleast where I worked) were probably the nicest people in the friggin store, you prick.

winwintoo
Aug 6, 2004, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Oh, and in Quebec a union has been ratified! [/B]
You beat me to it! There are a bunch of store out west that are trying to unionize now too. That's the way to shut them all down IMHO. Rather than pay decent wages and benefits, they'll just close the doors and move away, making room for other less well known but just as evil entrepreneurs.

m

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 12:57 PM

I can't stand Wal Mart. You can never just go in and get out. The crappy cashiers and the long lines make it a long day.

I haven't been in one for about 3 years.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Link:

Self checkout is the stupidest thing on earth.
Why? I was there last week for a few things and was through the checkout quick. They have them at Fred Meyer (some at least) and I love them for smaller purchases.

york28
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
I love WalMart and do most of my shopping there. In fact a Ingelwood voted not to allow one to open in there city, so I now boycott all Ingelwood businesses. I now have to find a new Eye Doctor and other stores in other cities. I stay away from Ingelwood, they are evil.

Walmart is good.
It's ironic that many people accuse Walmart of suffocating small local businesses, and then when your town votes to prevent this, you go ahead and do it anyway.

I never go to Walmart. They have nothing I need to buy there. Other than food, drum sticks, and gasoline, I don't really buy much of anything.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Montezuma58
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 01:16 PM

I was reading a financial magazine and they were discussing Wal-Mart's relations with their suppliers. They said something to the effect that one of the worst things you could do for your business is sign a deal with Wal-Mart. But even worse would be to not sign a deal with Wal-Mart.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 01:41 PM

I've never been in one. I don't even know where the nearest one is.

-Q-
Aug 6, 2004, 02:05 PM

Going into a wal-mart makes me sad. It's like watching an episode of Cops w/out the beatdowns.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 02:15 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
The advertising on TV always seems so positive. I have never been to a Walmart Store.
Paris, is it you ?

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by voyageur:
I've never been in one. I don't even know where the nearest one is.
Another Paris...

-t

Montezuma58
Senior User
Aug 6, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Going into a wal-mart makes me sad. It's like watching an episode of Cops w/out the beatdowns.
You just don't go to the right Wal-Marts

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Montezuma58:
You just don't go to the right Wal-Marts
Oh yes, the good 'ole famous APEX DVD Player from last Christmas...

tsuki
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2004, 03:49 PM

I vote with my dollars now since the "real thing" gets taken to the dump & the supreme court decides who will be the next dictator..so I read up on which corporations contributes the most to the WAR MONGER party. Walmart besides it's abysmal labor practices, is a MAJOR contributor so I avoid it at all costs.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 04:43 PM

i draw pride from the knowledge that my hometown (ithaca, NY) not only drove wal mart out in the mid-90s (only to have them come back under the watchful eye of the last mayor). on top of that, the heart of town (the commons) has seen McDonalds, Taco Bell and Pizza hut go under in the last 10 years. there is a conscious push to end the reign of wal mart, but i fear that there are too many poor people out there who have no other option.

RiSE
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2004, 04:51 PM

I hate walmart also but its 24 hours and right near my apartment AND the employees dont give a **** about their job so you get unexpected deals. Like DVD box sets rung up under the $5 bin price!

I'm the strongest person in the village where all the leaves are.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 06:34 PM

I work at Wal-Mart right now as a summer job and I don't and have never thought it's that bad.

Lowest prices in the area.
Widest selection of food in the area with the exception of some specialty items.
Cheap electronics and components.

And they treat me just fine as an employee. 10% off taxable purchases, $7.40/hr to start. I'm not really complaining. If you're so worried about Wal-Mart crushing small business, don't shop there.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by tsuki:
I vote with my dollars now since the "real thing" gets taken to the dump & the supreme court decides who will be the next dictator..so I read up on which corporations contributes the most to the WAR MONGER party. Walmart besides it's abysmal labor practices, is a MAJOR contributor so I avoid it at all costs.

Wally World is the nation's largest employer, with over 1.3 million employees, yet only 30% of them can afford health care. Wally World does not contribute anything to the local economies of their stores; their distribution, purchasing, and all other major operational functions are handled at headquarters, so when they come to town, you hear this giant sucking sound, as the local stores are shuttered, and the money goes to Arkansas. They are and have been sued in a number of states for many violations of labor laws, including making their employees punch out after 40 hours, and then returning to their jobs, and working for free, because they won't pay overtime. The five Walton family members who have stock, however, are among the richest people in the world, with their total stock value being around $100 billion! Wally World was caught a couple of years ago, selling gas below cost in Wisconsin, which is illegal, when they opened a new store there. They sent their lobbyists to the capital to try to get the legislature to put a rider on an unrelated bill, which would allow them to sell this gas below cost. Fortunately, the citizens got wind of it, and loudly reminded their legislators that this wasn't going to wash. They are merciless on suppliers for price, and they are the largest single purchaser of Chinese "goods" in the world. They are also being sued for locking employees in at night, in non 24 hour stores, where several employees have had emergency health issues, and there were no managers with keys on the premises!

Other than that, and much more, they're not bad!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 07:14 PM

walmart isn't the most moral company and they have been worse than microsoft.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 10:42 PM

I vote with my dollars too, at Wal-Mart, Target and anywhere else I can get what I need for cheap.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 6, 2004, 11:06 PM

You frogot

� Causes people to whine in computer forums.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 11:52 PM

Why is that all these unions have to bad mouth a successful business? Why do the unions fear the secret ballot for unionization so much?

Why during a union drive do they bullie employees to sign union cards for certification instead of using secret ballot?
As a man comes, so he departs.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 11:59 PM

They provide a good or a service at a price that people want. Don't go there looking for good customer service though. You won't find it.

How does a local business compete? By finding a niche that Walmart doesn't serve.

I can get a cup of coffee at Walmart for $.25. Next door at Starbuck's it's $3.25. Why is Starbuck's wildy successful when Walmart sells essentially the same product for 10 times less? They found a niche.

If you don't like Walmart, don't shop there. Encourage your friends and family not to also. But don't be disappointed when they go back. People have got to feed their families and will go where it's cheapest. If you don't want the cheapest groceries and want someone to carry out your groceries, find a store that does that.

Keep the flame war going.

Axo1ot1  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 02:56 AM

You short sighted toolpouches. The fact that Wal�Mart is successful is atrocious. They might be good for one person who goes in and saves a buck but they have a horrible effect on society as a whole. Wal�Mart makes America a worse place in diverse insidious ways. Weather or not they provide a low price is irrelevant when the way they do business is morally and legally reprehensible. Taking this glib relativistic approach to them, saying 'well if you don't like them don't shop there' is sick, not to mention ignorant. Do you realize that their big strategy is to drive out all competing retail in a given market so people don't have a choice? Wal�Mart is huge because they are so successful with that. They're practically a crime syndicate.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2004, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You frogot

� Causes people to whine in computer forums.
Yuo shop at teh Wal*Marts then?

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
there is a conscious push to end the reign of wal mart, but i fear that there are too many poor people out there who have no other option.
I agree here. Despite Wal*Mart pretty much being the retail Umbrella Corporation, what can you really do other than using your dollar?

Funny this thread should come up when there's a huge Wal*Mart going up not far from here. 163 St. Mall here in Miami has been torn down�to be replaced by an �ber Wal*Mart. I imagine it will create tons of new jobs for Bush and Co. to tout?

See, there's a bright side to everything!

wang_himself
Senior User
Aug 7, 2004, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Wal*Mart

� Destroys communities
True! Look at what Wal Mart is trying to do in California, by forcing their stores agenda on the ballots!

� Engages in unfair labor practices
They told me when I worked for them for about a month I had to make the decision to fail college and keep working for them or quit.

� Has racist and sexist employing record
I watched them fire someone who couldn't speak good english

� Undercuts mom and pop businesses
Like Barnes and Noble these assholes have destroyed towns like Manteca, CA

� Rapes foreign countries and uses sweat shop labor
GOTO: Singapore

� Wreaks havoc on the environment with sprawling parking lots, flimsy construction and careless waste management
In Stockton CA they are building a Mega Walmart across the street from a Wal MArt

� Forces other businesses to assimilate these cost cutting business practices in order to compete

If we all agreed to pay a little bit more we can Shop at Safeways and Mom and Pop shops and buy quality products instead of crap products.
� Advertises on MacNN
Those f*ckers!
/hi

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 05:17 AM

unfortunately people here love wal*mart. they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and (of course) are totally unaware of all the vile stuff they are involved in.

i usually will tell them about it, but i don't think it's going to really "re-direct" their shopping frenzies.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 05:23 AM

I haven't seen a legit source for all these accusations yet.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

soul searching
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 06:13 AM

I shop at Costco. I do not know of any store that can beat their prices.

As far as the Wal*Mart accusations, I do not know of any successful company that has not screwed either their customers, employees, competitors or a combination of those three in order to get to where they are. Hmm, this may be an exaggeration but it's a bit late and I really can't think of a single US company that does not fit into the above statement.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

andi*pandi
Aug 7, 2004, 09:42 AM

I already hated walmart, now I hate them more.

Voyageur, I think there's one in Framingham/natick. I've driven past it on my way to Target.

Forum Links
Forum Rules