Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Not enough memory? try closing windows? pls help[

Not enough memory? try closing windows? pls help[
rotuts
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 12:57 PM

Im guessing its ok to put this question in hardware as it deals with memory.

I have a G4dual 1ghz with 1.25G memory. for the first time while using a newsreader called THOTH when trying to get a newsgroup list I get the not enough memory alert with the THOTH icon on the window:

"not enough memory to complete the command or operation {-108@85} to make more memory available try colsing windows.

loooking in activity monitor there seems to be plenty of hard and VM available. OS 10.3.9

this is the first time this haas happend to me in OS X. I recall it happening a lot in 9 then you had to allocate more ,memory to each app. I was under the impresion that this was handled automaticlly in X..

of note for a few days my whole sys has been very slow and sluggish. I opend activity monitor and found 4 crashreports or logs open in that window. I did a force quit on them and a reboot and I seem to be back to my normals spped.

only THOTH is running at the time my memory window opens.

any ideas> I did run first aide and repaired permissions prior to this to help look into the slowdown and there was nothing wrong then

cheers and thanks

rotuts
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2006, 11:27 AM

You must be getting this alert from Thoth. It sounds like the program is damaged or buggy. Try reinstalling it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

new newton
Banned
Feb 12, 2006, 12:35 PM

When you use unsupported software, you take your chances.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 12:37 PM

thanks. after a second reboot and dunping everything I could think of, cache etc it seems to be back up to speed. Ill have to look for another newsreader. Ill ask in the apps section
'
'but thanks

rotuts
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 12:39 PM

thanks. after a second reboot and dunping everything I could think of, cache etc it seems to be back up to speed. Ill have to look for another newsreader. Ill ask in the apps section
'
'but thanks

rotuts
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 06:44 PM

uummmm...............

it's called a memory leak, something that is all too common in poorly-coded apps. If left running long enough, it will eat up every single byte of ram & vm, regardless of how much you have........

Even Safari used to do this to some extent, and IIRC, still does somewhat
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 06:53 PM

Actually it may or may not be a memory leak. Most memory leaks don't have noticeable symptoms, and some non-leak problems can look like memory leaks. You can use the leaks command in terminal to determine if that's actually what it is (leaks AppName). Almost all apps have a few leaks; look at the output at the top to determine how much memory has been leaked.

OreoCookie
Feb 13, 2006, 09:49 AM

… and this is a hardware question, because …?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules