Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can I use a Samsung printer with my Mac?

Can I use a Samsung printer with my Mac?
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 04:23 PM

I have been given this Samsung printer [MyJet Plus 2200cc]. Is it possible to find a print driver for it for Mac? The print driver software that came with the printer on CD won't download. I thought maybe they'd be a "universal printer driver patch" (or something) somewhere. My google searches take me nowhere, or to Korean language sites -- which to me is as good as nowhere.

Thanks.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 05:47 PM

As far as I know samsung dropped Mac support years ago.

Perhaps using CUPS you could with with the low cost of printers these days it might make more sense to go but a new one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 07:35 PM

What I figured.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
May 17, 2006, 01:17 PM

I used my Samsung ML-1430 for quite a while with both PCs and the Mac here at home. I've moved on to a Brother laser printer solely because the new printer (after rebate) will have cost less than a new toner cartridge for the Samsung. There were issues; Skywalker is right about not much Mac support for some Samsung printers, particularly not much network printing support. I can't find ANYTHING on the printer you mention. Where did you get it?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sworthy
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 01:27 PM

I have a samsung ml-1710 which works just fine with mac os x - even on my intel mac. I believe I found the driver here on this forum.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I used my Samsung ML-1430 for quite a while with both PCs and the Mac here at home. I've moved on to a Brother laser printer solely because the new printer (after rebate) will have cost less than a new toner cartridge for the Samsung. There were issues; Skywalker is right about not much Mac support for some Samsung printers, particularly not much network printing support. I can't find ANYTHING on the printer you mention. Where did you get it?
Oops. My mistake. It's a :

SAMSUNG MyJet Plus - MJC-2200c.

At the link below, they have a bunch of print drivers for Windows, but sadly none for OSX.

http://www.samsung.com/search/search...ect=0&x=0&y=0#

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2006, 10:55 AM

I can only find anything on that printer through Google; I've tried a number of European Samsung support sites, but obviously haven't found YOUR location, because I can't find it on Samsung at all.

And everything I've found so far has been for Windows. Have you tried looking for a driver on the various CUPS sites?

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Have you tried looking for a driver on the various CUPS sites?
No, not yet, because I don't know what a CUPS site is, but I'll check it out.

Thanks for your help.

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2006, 09:31 AM

Start with CUPS.org. It's Unix-oriented, but remember, OS X is a *nix OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules