Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ipad used as external display

ipad used as external display
thecyclinghen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2010, 12:55 AM

It looks like the ipad has a really nice display and everything and I was wondering if anyone knows if it will be able to be used as an external display for something like the Mac Mini? I figure I would use the ipad as my device on the go but when I need processing power, multitasking, and other things a Mac Mini I could put the ipad on the dock and hook it up to the mini to use as a display! If not... it would be a really interesting concept for future models!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 12:57 AM

Doubtful. I suspect the only way you'd be able to do this will be through one of the many VNC apps available to the iPhone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 12:57 PM

Nope. The integration between Macs and iPhones and iPads is pretty limited. You can't tether your iPhone to your iPad, you can't use your iPad or iPhone as a secondary display your Macs, etc.

VNC is a half assed option, since you'll be forced to do it over high latency wireless.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 02:42 PM

Q: What makes Apple's products so damn good?
A: Apple understands that you need to leave out rarely used features.

This is one of those features. You'll have to use VNC.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
A: Apple understands that you need to leave out rarely used features.
And then to hype up those features as must-haves as a means to sell later versions. Apple has successfully applied the software upgrade business model to the hardware business.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
And then to hype up those features as must-haves as a means to sell later versions. Apple has successfully applied the software upgrade business model to the hardware business.
They have.

However, I suspect that won't happen with using the iPad as an external monitor. Quite frankly, I think that's a total waste of money on a lower cost item like that. I'm actually surprised they did it with the 27" iMac, but at least with that it's a relatively high cost unit and the incremental cost difference is low, especially since the port is already there anyway.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
They have.

However, I suspect that won't happen with using the iPad as an external monitor. Quite frankly, I think that's a total waste of money on a lower cost item like that.
Quite right for external monitor use. I remember that being a feature of some of Microsoft's early tablet concepts (back in 2000) ... an idea that clearly didn't have enough traction to make it into anybody's production models.

The comparison between Apple's hardware upgrade strategy and typical software upgrade strategy was just a realization I had as I was reading Simon's comment.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2010, 04:15 PM

Get a 17" LCD for $ 100. It even has a higher resolution.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
And then to hype up those features as must-haves as a means to sell later versions.
I wouldn't count on that happening with this idea.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Get a 17" LCD for $ 100.
Bingo.

It even has a higher resolution.
Indeed. Along with a stand, tilting, its own power supply, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules