Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Albums You've Bought Solely Because of the iTMS?

Albums You've Bought Solely Because of the iTMS?
Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 05:08 AM

OK, I've got a few of these, some I bought just because I've always wanted them but couldn't find them in stores and that sorta thing. Others I've bought because I liked an artist and I normally would have taken a while to go out and get the album but when it was on iTunes it became more like, oh I like that I'm gona buy that now, why not.
But have you had any albums that for some reason you just thought to check out and are seriously glad that you did and you wouldn't have if you hadn't seen em repeatedly on iTunes?

Anyway, my list of albums I got only because they were on iTunes and am insanely glad I did.

The Wedding: Self Titled
Strangely Innovative Rock Meets Punk Meets Emo Meets Hardcore Meets Piano Music style band, fell in love and can't wait till their EP gets put on iTunes!

Matthew West: History
I actually bought this tonight on a bit of a whim, I'd seen it on the store repeatedly but never decide to buy it. I don't know what sort of Genre I'd throw him into, he's certainly less rock than what I normally listen to, but it's kind of creepy he actually is almost exactly what I could see myself being if I was a musical rock star... and by that I mean I had tallent in that area... it's like... When I listened to the clips on iTunes they didn't sound that amazing, but when I hear the whole album as one peace... it's just... I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a new album .

Sanctus Real: Fight the Tide
Again, I saw this album on so many store shelves it's not even funny but never picked it up, and I really don't know why I bought it on iTunes. But I have to say, track two Fight Song might be one of my fave songs ever, it's the sort of song I could never sing... partly cause I'm a bit too much of a scrapper but it's how I feel when I'm not fighting... if that makes sense . Anyway, it also has Alone which has to be the best Rock Love song EVER... yah...

So those would be my fave 3 albums I picked up on iTunes on a whim and love.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2006, 10:10 AM

the fray's "how to save a life" and their first "EP"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 10:39 AM

While I realise this thread was yet another plug-Christian-bands-that-no-one-has-heard-of-Salty-thread, it's a good one:

Verve Remixed albums (also unmixed versions because of this, so five sales in all!)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 10:45 AM

there is about a dozen I want to buy, until Music prices come back down to earth no way im buying them. When CD's become 9.99 I'll buy them. Not at 18.99.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 10:54 AM

I've bought a few albums off iTunes—but solely because I wanted to listen to them.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 12:15 PM

None. I am slowly buying all of the the songs I "acquired" elsewhere though.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 12:18 PM

I've bought a few albums because iTunes gave away a single as the free song of the week. If I had not heard that single I would never have heard about these artists or given them a second look in a shop.

Diana Anaid - Beautiful Obscene
Marc Broussard - Carencro

MindFad, great signature. Easily my favorite part of the movie.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
While I realise this thread was yet another plug-Christian-bands-that-no-one-has-heard-of-Salty-thread, it's a good one:

Verve Remixed albums (also unmixed versions because of this, so five sales in all!)
Actually Matthew West is a name that if someone hasn't heard of they will in the future if they pay any attention to the enormous Christian music industry, he got Artist of the Year off his debut album in 2003 I believe, apparently his single stuck on the charts at #1 for 9 weeks.
As well Sanctus Real is on Switchfoot's old Label, granted they're not quite as easy to push into the mainstream but they'd hardly be considered small.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 01:30 PM

Epoxies
The Water Babies
The Waitresses
The Mighty wah
The Proclaimers
The hobnail boots
Donah Lewis
I use itunes a lot more than i should

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 02:00 PM

So far I have purchased two. "Passions of the Christ" and a Valentine collection.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 02:17 PM

Love The Wedding and Sanctus Real. Haven't heard Matthew West yet. I guess a preview of a few of his songs on iTunes would help. Any suggestions for a song of his to buy to check him out?

andi*pandi
Jan 8, 2006, 05:08 PM

I bought sesawya's songs because he posted here... and they were just a click away.

otherwise, things I've bought off itunes were either because I was too impatient to wait for a cd from amazon, or it was cheaper that way.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 06:28 PM

Zero. I just use it for the preview clips. I still prefer to buy physical CDs.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 07:21 PM

the only fulll album I've bought was Steve Wynn's 'Here Come the Miracles'

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Zero. I just use it for the preview clips. I still prefer to buy physical CDs.
why. Cd's cost more. Plus its more effort to go to the shop. Find the cd you heard on itunes then stand in a que.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
why. Cd's cost more. Plus its more effort to go to the shop. Find the cd you heard on itunes then stand in a que.
Nostalgia.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2006, 09:01 PM

josé gonzález - veneer
one post closer to five stars

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2006, 10:54 PM

Amazon.com. No lines. Easy.

And I prefer CDs because I don't want to be locked into one lossy compression format. CDs give me flexibility. The $2 I'd save by buying from iTunes aren't worth it, IMO.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jan 8, 2006 at 11:14 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 06:49 AM

Michael Bublé - Let It Snow! - EP
Jack Johnson - A Weekend At the Greek (Video Album)

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 06:57 AM

You have a physical object that you can hold. You can always re-encode when a new codec comesalong. It's higher quality than 128k AAC. You have a backup that lasts virtually forever.

Effort going to the shop ? You're one of those people that never sees daylight ?

I will never invest a penny in online music or movie downloads. I want to really own it. Not something invisible on my hard drive that I can't touch or that can get lost when the drive crashes.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 09:34 AM

Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Play The Beatles

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 09:39 AM

I'll never buy from iTMS, DRM--
we don't have time to stop for gas

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 10:22 AM

For me its the owning of something physcal with my money. A assest. How many of you have resold your songs you don't like any more? If I get really tired of a CD I can trade it in or sell it to a used music store. I also like to read the cover booklets in them, you get the pictures, the story or lyrics. Its all about owning something physical. In that sense I would pay a suspscription service from iTunes since thats a service. Buying Digital music though just isnt my thing. Same with movies too.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
For me its the owning of something physcal with my money. A assest. How many of you have resold your songs you don't like any more? If I get really tired of a CD I can trade it in or sell it to a used music store. I also like to read the cover booklets in them, you get the pictures, the story or lyrics. Its all about owning something physical. In that sense I would pay a suspscription service from iTunes since thats a service. Buying Digital music though just isnt my thing. Same with movies too.
Seconded.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 11:47 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Peter
I'll never buy from iTMS, DRM--
Uhm, http://hymn-project.org/, maybe ?

-t

Forum Links