Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Matias USB 2.0 keyboard

Matias USB 2.0 keyboard
Goofas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 08:42 PM

I just opened my Matias usb 2.0 keyboard. It works great. In 2 years of being a mac convert, I was never able to get used to the apple keyboard. The usb 2.0 dock is great for my wifes shuffle. Paired with the mighty mouse it is a great combo.

khufuu
Oct 3, 2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Goofas
I just opened my Matias usb 2.0 keyboard. It works great. In 2 years of being a mac convert, I was never able to get used to the apple keyboard. The usb 2.0 dock is great for my wifes shuffle. Paired with the mighty mouse it is a great combo.
Is this the one where the keys click when you depress them? (Like the old IBM keyboards used to?)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 3, 2005, 10:19 PM

No. That's the "Tactile Pro".

tooki

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2005, 10:24 PM

Any idea if the Tactile Pro will work on a Windows and/or Linux box? I wanted to get one and use it on my USB KVM, but it won't do me much good if it only works on my Mac.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

khufuu
Oct 4, 2005, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
No. That's the "Tactile Pro".

tooki
Oh yah... that's right. When I read Matias I, for some unknown reason, thought of the Tactile Pro. Sorry everyone.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2005, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
Any idea if the Tactile Pro will work on a Windows and/or Linux box? I wanted to get one and use it on my USB KVM, but it won't do me much good if it only works on my Mac.
I am using the Tactile Pro on what is essentially a KVM with a Mac and a Windows 2000 Pro machine. The Command key is the Start menu key.

Works fine with one exception: The keyboard won't wake the Windows box from sleep. I think this is not an issue specific with the Tactile Pro, though I have not tried other USB keyboards. I just have a PS/2 keyboard under the desk that I kick when I want to wake the Windows machine :-). I have a Logitech mouse plugged into the Tactile Pro keyboard.

All in all I'm happy with the set-up.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 03:58 AM

Just found some places that sell Matias keyboards in the UK, one of them lists the USB 2.0 keyboard as having a US Keyboard layout, whats the difference between a US and UK keyboard layout?

And yes, one of these and a Mighty Mouse looks like a good combination.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Just found some places that sell Matias keyboards in the UK, one of them lists the USB 2.0 keyboard as having a US Keyboard layout, whats the difference between a US and UK keyboard layout?

And yes, one of these and a Mighty Mouse looks like a good combination.
i think the difference is the 3 key has the # printed above it instead of £ but it still works the same way as a UK keyboard does

OreoCookie
Oct 4, 2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nivag
i think the difference is the 3 key has the # printed above it instead of £ but it still works the same way as a UK keyboard does
I also think the return key is shaped differently.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 07:20 AM

This is the Matias US keyboard

and this is a UK keyboard, with a big return key

OreoCookie is right, I never knew the keys shapes were different, just thought it was maybe the odd symbol like Nivaq said.

Well you learn something every day!!

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2005, 09:01 AM

also it looks like the Caps Lock is in a different place - how strange!?!

Does the Apple US keyboard have the Caps Lock at the bottom left of the keyboard?

OreoCookie
Oct 4, 2005, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nivag
also it looks like the Caps Lock is in a different place - how strange!?!

Does the Apple US keyboard have the Caps Lock at the bottom left of the keyboard?
No, with the exception of Sun keyboards, the Caps Lock key is at the same position, in between Tab and Shift. At least that's the way on all Apple keyboards I've seen, Danish, Swedish, Finish, US, German and Japanese.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 09:49 AM

Apparently there are going to be UK, French and German versions of it out sometime this month.

OreoCookie
Oct 4, 2005, 10:14 AM

Of which one, the Tactile Pro? I'm waiting for a year now for this keyboard … how did you learn of this?

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2005, 08:51 PM

I have been looking at the Matias USB 2.0 keyboard since I read about it a couple of weeks ago. I have been hoping to actually "touch" one before I buy, but they are not readily available in retail outlets in my area. In fact, I have never heard of the brand until I read the article.

I just bought a Mac Mini at the beginning of August (my first Mac), and as anyone who has one knows, they are lacking in available USB ports. This keyboard with three available USB 2.0 (two in back and one on top) is the perfect companion for the Mac Mini. Again, these are 2.0 ports, not the 1.1 ports typically found on USB keyboards. I am using a Dell with two available 1.1 ports that just does not do it for me.

I have seen many photos, but still would like to "touch and feel" before I buy. The price is reasonable at $39.95 advertised, considering a 4 port USB hub is $20 to $30 by itself.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2005, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Of which one, the Tactile Pro? I'm waiting for a year now for this keyboard … how did you learn of this?
The USB 2.0 keyboard, got the info from here.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2005, 04:47 AM

I'm waiting for an Apple Mighty Keyboard, with USB 2.0, backlit keys as on the powerbooks, in white and grey or white and aluminium to match the new Macs, because I don't think any of the new Macs have clear plastic anymore (maybe the eMac does, not sure, and thats years old now anyway).

Goofas  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 01:18 PM

Be advised this keyboard will only give you 2 extra usb 2.0 ports. It takes 2 ports from the mini to operate the keyboard and then 1 from the keyboard to run the mouse. This will only leave 2 open ports on the keyboard.

Originally Posted by macforray
I have been looking at the Matias USB 2.0 keyboard since I read about it a couple of weeks ago. I have been hoping to actually "touch" one before I buy, but they are not readily available in retail outlets in my area. In fact, I have never heard of the brand until I read the article.

I just bought a Mac Mini at the beginning of August (my first Mac), and as anyone who has one knows, they are lacking in available USB ports. This keyboard with three available USB 2.0 (two in back and one on top) is the perfect companion for the Mac Mini. Again, these are 2.0 ports, not the 1.1 ports typically found on USB keyboards. I am using a Dell with two available 1.1 ports that just does not do it for me.

I have seen many photos, but still would like to "touch and feel" before I buy. The price is reasonable at $39.95 advertised, considering a 4 port USB hub is $20 to $30 by itself.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2005, 08:01 PM

Goofas writes:

"Be advised this keyboard will only give you 2 extra usb 2.0 ports. It takes 2 ports from the mini to operate the keyboard and then 1 from the keyboard to run the mouse. This will only leave 2 open ports on the keyboard."

Are you saying that it has two USB leads that must use both available ports on the Mini? If so, this is why I wanted to get my hands on one first. Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 6, 2005, 09:24 PM

Yeah. It's basically a standard USB 1.1 keyboard (with unpowered USB 1.1 hub), plus an integral extension cord for the USB 2 port.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules