Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > bluetooth presentation remote?

bluetooth presentation remote?
aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 11:43 AM

Does anyone know if there is a bluetooth laserpointer/presenter on the market that works with Mac? I know Keyspan et. al. make wireless ones that work with their own USB dongle, and I have Salling Clicker, but I'd like one device to do it all with no dongle.

Here's one I just noticed, has anyone tried it?
http://www.epox.nl/newshtm/presenter.htm

Thanks,
Alex

sray
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2004, 12:34 PM

I use Salling Clicker with my SE T630 phone and 15" alu pb to drive my powerpoint presentations. Works pretty nicely, especially since Salling Clicker will show the slide notes on the cell phone. No dongle required.

Granted I have no laserpointer, but I have Salling Clicker scripts to drive the mouse and that works in a pinch.

PLin
Jul 23, 2004, 01:30 PM

The Logitech Cordless Presenter may work with the Mac. It definitely works as a mouse, but I haven't tried using the presentation buttons.

Since Logitech doesn't have software for the Mac, it's very possible that the buttons can be mapped using shareware/freeware software. I'll get a hold of one this weekend, try out the presentation buttons, and post my findings in a few days.

Peter
BT Boutique - For All of Your Bluetooth Wireless Technology Needs
www.btboutique.com
Technohappymeal
www.technohappymeal.com

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 05:34 PM

anyone know what Steve uses for his Keynote presentations? He's always holding a little wireless clicker. Not sure if it's bluetooth though.

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
anyone know what Steve uses for his Keynote presentations? He's always holding a little wireless clicker. Not sure if it's bluetooth though.
Every time he uses it, people go nuts trying to speculate on what it is. He's used it at conferences for several years now... And nobody's deciphered it yet, AFAIK. Who knows...

--

Between my T610 and my BT500, I should have plenty of makeshift presentation-controller options... I'm not in the market for a presentation remote.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

PLin
Jul 28, 2004, 03:39 PM

The Logitech Cordless Presenter definitely works with the Mac. Without installing any drivers, the left and right mouse buttons were functional, and the up and down buttons functioned like a scroll wheel.

In PowerPoint, the left button advances slides forward. However, the right mouse button brings up a contextual menu that you can use to go backwards.

In order to use the right mouse button to go backwards without using the menu, you would need to use shareware/freeware software that lets you map that button, unless the presentation software allows you customize the right button to go backwards. I don't think PowerPoint allows you to do that, but I'm not sure about Keynote.

Peter
BT Boutique - For All of Your Bluetooth Wireless Technology Needs
www.btboutique.com
Technohappymeal
www.technohappymeal.com

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 04:05 AM

I know its not really intended to be used as a presentation remote, but I wanted to mention the ATI Remote Wonder for anyone looking for a general remote control. Its RF, has decent range (2nd generation has better range but first gen. looks better), can control the mouse, fully customizable buttons that can have different functions in each app. And I got mine for about 30 dollars which is cheaper than some of these other presentation remotes that only have 4 buttons. Anyway, just my 2 cents in case someone here doesn't mind a larger remote for an occasional presentation and wants a functional remote for everything else.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by PLin:
The Logitech Cordless Presenter definitely works with the Mac. Without installing any drivers, the left and right mouse buttons were functional, and the up and down buttons functioned like a scroll wheel.

In PowerPoint, the left button advances slides forward. However, the right mouse button brings up a contextual menu that you can use to go backwards.

In order to use the right mouse button to go backwards without using the menu, you would need to use shareware/freeware software that lets you map that button, unless the presentation software allows you customize the right button to go backwards. I don't think PowerPoint allows you to do that, but I'm not sure about Keynote.
I used to have one of those, but it was bulky (compared to my BT cellphone). It also had a strange phallic shape that I thought looked distracting.

In any case, Logitech never supported the pointer with good OS X drivers. The lack of reverse in PowerPoint was intolerable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules