Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Mac Pro is slow after sleep, even just display sleep!

My Mac Pro is slow after sleep, even just display sleep!
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 03:10 AM

When I let my Mac Pro sit for 15 minutes without using it, the display goes to sleep, and the little white light appears on the display, and the display is dark.

Only a few days ago, when I would hit the space bar, it would light up and i'd be on my desktop. Now, when I hit the spacebar, I get a fullscreen picture from my screen saver (as if it wakes up from sleep and continues the screensaver that had been going for 5 minutes prior to display sleep), and then a few seconds later that finally clears and I get to my desktop. For another 30 seconds or so, everything runs really slowly. I usually wait a minute or so after waking it up, to let it settle and stuff, so firefox won't take 6 bounces to open.

Would simply zapping the P-ram take care of something like this? I'd really like to keep my computer running the way it did on day one.

Thanks.

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 11:23 AM

maybe you could check what might be using more than it should by opening activity monitor, and check which resource is using the maximum CPU...

BTW, never happened to me on previous macs, I've never used a MP, but I doubt they're different in this aspect.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Madrag View Post
maybe you could check what might be using more than it should by opening activity monitor, and check which resource is using the maximum CPU...

BTW, never happened to me on previous macs, I've never used a MP, but I doubt they're different in this aspect.
There's nothing unusual in activity monitor, except that the Page ins/outs reach numbers such as 1412085/51545 after just a few hours of being on.

I went into system prefs/accounts/login items, and it turnes out there were three unneccesary things in there which I removed, and now theres less time from when the dock appears at startup, to the time when everything is working at full speed.

I also zapped the P-ram, and repaired disk permissions, and the problem seems to be gone...but we'll see.

Thanks.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2006, 10:56 PM

Ive got a feeling that you may have only one GB of RAM. Perhaps you are running something that is running in the background that eats up your RAM during idle (safari) then when you put the computer to sleep any memory that's available gets used. When you wake it up the the HD has to spool up (slow) not to mention that that your paging out which really gives your computer that sluggish state.

I just saw your pages in - outs hmm not sure about the ram
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2007, 10:01 AM

Also see if your hard drive is going to sleep. That is in the Energy Saver options in the System Preferences panel in a little box below the sliders for setting the sleep time. If the hard drives sleep, that could add 5 seconds or so to the response times.

If it is slow for 30 seconds, I would also suspect a paging issue. 1GB is barely enough RAM these days. Another way to assess paging is to check the real memory usage for the programs that you run. This is also in the Activity Monitory (Applications/Utilities folder) to the right of the list of program names that are running. This might not tell you when an application needs to access the disk to swap virtual memory, but if a program looks suspicious, you could close that program and wait to see if your response times change.
( Last edited by rehoot; Jan 1, 2007 at 10:10 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules