Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Broke off Line-In on MDD G4 Rev C! What to do?

Broke off Line-In on MDD G4 Rev C! What to do?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 02:34 AM

Very bad week. Latest problem is the MacWireless.com PCI 802.11g card I bought was cuasing my Mac to not boot, I decided to try it one last time today and of course (with support on the line) it didn't boot beyond the chime. In closing and opening the door, it seem the Line-in jack with the cord to my speakers bent+snapped off the white outside casing+the gold plated (nice) metal connection about 2mm. Well not the Line-In port doesn't even show up in System Preferences!

So how much more (I have to pay for shipping of the PCI Wirelss card back to macwireless.com since I am in Canada) is this PCI Wireless card going to cost me in trouble (at least I blew out my computer and got the CPU tempature down 4ºF)?
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 10:13 AM

Erm, ok.

Slightly confusing post, the issue is that the metal connector for the line in plug has broken off inside the connector on the computer? I've never tried it but you could try sucking it out with a vaccum cleaner.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 11:04 AM

The white casing came off-taking part of the inside of the connection with it, snapping it completely off. Cost to fix $1,500 (need new logic-board).
--Stephen King

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2007, 11:55 AM

Assuming the Mac is still working, it would make more sense to get an external device or a PCI card from a company like M-Audio.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 18, 2007, 02:01 PM

I agree with seanc, see if anyone in the marketplace has an m-audio revolution card. I bought the 7.1 card from a member here years ago and have been using it in my MDD since.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 18, 2007, 04:45 PM

This happened to my G5.

How did I fix? I didn't.

Some friends gave me an M-Audio Fast Track USB guitar/audio interface and I used that
for audio out from that point on. Used the audio control panel to route audio out to the
fast track and then into my studio monitors.

Until my G5 leaked coolant and my processors blew and so did the power supply.
So I got a new motherboard, processors, power supply, cooling unit and cooling fascia.

Which, inadvertently fixed the stuck jack plug because the new motherboard was pristine.

We tried everything - a dot of super glue on the end of a thin toothpick, etc. Didn't do
a bit of good. Powerful vacuum, nope. So..... beware $2.00 adapters that can take out
a $2500 computer.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
May 19, 2007, 01:57 PM

Also now Wow won't play (if I get that far) for more then one maybe two minutes.
--Stephen King

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2007, 09:19 PM

I don't play WoW, but I'm assuming that it does not use the line in port. Assuming this is the case, then there is some other problem in addition to something being stuck in the line-in jack.

Did you pull hard on the plug when it broke? If so, do you think that something else broke inside at the same time?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2007, 12:52 AM

I didn't pull hard, it was opening the door and you naturally think with stuff plugged in that you need to pull a bti since it's caught. Well that did it. So now I am using the headphone jack. Thoroughly cleaned out the MDD today with a friend and WoW is working, but the fan on the 9800 Pro is dying.
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules