Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do I by-pass Windows Activation so I can use this ****ing legal copy of XP Pro?

How do I by-pass Windows Activation so I can use this ****ing legal copy of XP Pro?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 03:16 AM

My mom bought Parallels and XP Pro so she could run this "PC Only piece of ****" software for some star charting and I have activated XP Pro once, but used express install, which ****ed up the users, so I have to reinstall and to run SW update, I have to activate am told to please pay for WIndows Geniune ****ing advantage as the maxiumum activations have been exceeded! What ****ing bullshit. I call in and am treated like a criminal is this on more then one computer and other BS.

Since Microsoft considers me a criminal and I can't risk my mom running into these problems, I have no choice but to crack windows so software update will run flawlessly and be problem free for her. I am so glad I have a Mac. Maybe I should publicly crack windows and send the video to the police, Microsoft, RIAA, MPAA and let them charge me and then tell the court I was already considered a crimanl so why not do what they accused me of **** YOU MICROSOFT!!!!!
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 03:22 AM

I've never had a problem calling in to Microsoft. Did they tell you they won't give you a new activation key?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 03:29 AM

They gave it to me, but that's not the point, from now on everytime Windows ****s up I have to go through hours of work to fix this for my mom. This is just too stress full. If people want me to install WIndows for them the starting price is $999.95 for a bare bones install no software just format, install and OS updates bare bones.
--Stephen King

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 03:35 AM

It's not that difficult to install Windows XP, I've done it more times than I can count in the last week as I've been readying PCs for sale.

1. Install Windows
2. Run through the set up wizard and create users
3. Install any drivers that are needed
4. Activate XP, if it won't go through, ring them, tell them you had to re-install Windows due to some issue, such as virus infection. Only took about 5 minutes last time i called them.
5. Run Windows Update and install the ~83 updates.
6. Make an image of your fresh clean install
7. Done

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 03:40 AM

This is my moms system she can't do that. Esp when she is away and she needs it. I refuse to re-activate everytime. This is the last straw.
--Stephen King

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 03:58 AM

1. Download Windows Vista 60 day trial. hint hint.
2. Install it as a virtual machine.
3. Use it without activation for 60 days.
4. Delete it.
5. Keep repeating steps 2-4 every 60 days.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 03:59 AM

Would still need to reinstall her software and loose all the charts.
--Stephen King

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write View Post
Would still need to reinstall her software and loose all the charts.
You can back her charts up to the Mac. Windows needs reinstalling every 60 days anyway

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 04:26 AM

Right now I have made snap shots. Next time I have to call in I will make a public scene about it and make sure the media is alerted, Get Microsoft some very bad press. I thought America was "Inecent until proven guilty" I guess Microsoft values aren't American.
--Stephen King

Super Mario
Aug 31, 2007, 04:30 AM

Remember, you are not alone

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 04:54 AM

I'm fairly sure Microsoft's verification servers went down recently, thus voiding any new licenses as illegal cracked copies. It seems you may have fallen victim to this.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

onlyone-jc.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 05:23 AM

How often does your mom reinstall Windows?

You only need to activate at install or after 3 major hardware changes. And the phonecall only takes about 2 minutes.

'Innocent until proven guilty' is utterly irrelevant to this discussion.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2007, 07:19 AM

The activation server did go down for a day or two this past weekend, rendering some legal versions 'not genuine'.

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 08:28 AM

I too have a similar problem with Windows. The thing that bugs me is having to read a thousand digit number to them to activate it. It takes forever.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2007, 09:20 AM

Right now I have made snap shots. Next time I have to call in I will make a public scene about it and make sure the media is alerted, Get Microsoft some very bad press. I thought America was "Inecent until proven guilty" I guess Microsoft values aren't American.
Now you are just being a cry baby. What are you, a 14-year-old?

Microsoft gets "very bad press" every single day from professionals who do IT for a living and they are still a multi-billion dollar company. What makes you think the tantrum of some kid is going to get their attention or make them respond to you?
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Aug 31, 2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed a typo.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
1. Download Windows Vista 60 day trial. hint hint.
2. Install it as a virtual machine.
3. Use it without activation for 60 days.
4. Delete it.
5. Keep repeating steps 2-4 every 60 days.
That's a pain and you need to reinstall all of you apps. I don't think saving a few bucks is worth going through that.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 10:39 AM

I wonder how much they had to raise the price of Windows to hire all those people to answer the phones every time there's a reinstall somewhere in the world... and to have activation problems solved in just 3 minutes.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2007, 10:40 AM

Simple, get an illegal copy.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2007, 07:07 PM

They gave it to me, but that's not the point, from now on everytime Windows ****s up I have to go through hours of work to fix this for my mom. This is just too stress full. If people want me to install WIndows for them the starting price is $999.95 for a bare bones install no software just format, install and OS updates bare bones.
Then your problem is solved. The reason you couldn't reactivate easily is because you probably changed the hardware on your virtual machine.

If you crack Windows, your Windows will eventually be detected as not genuine, and Microsoft will lock down your copy of Windows, and you'll be back to square one again. If you completely kill your Windows activation client, you will no longer be able to download security updates or other updates.

It's just not worth it.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 08:55 PM

Tell your mom to get a Ma...

I would never purposely patronize Macrotrash, but I understand the position you are in. You already bought a copy of Winblows. I see no moral conflict in simply using a crack or a non-legit copy. Even if you can't get updates, it's simply a virtual machine, so as long as your mom can keep a copy of her files safe on her Mac side, it's probably not a big deal.

Also have you considered something like Darwine? I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a look in your situation.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2007, 08:59 PM

All that crap for some farking star charts. Oh boy, hell, handbasket and whatnot...

-t

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2007, 09:40 PM

Maybe it’s less troublesome to look for an OS X solution for these start charts.

-

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 04:36 AM

Next time I have to call in I will make a public scene about it and make sure the media is alerted, Get Microsoft some very bad press. I thought America was "Inecent until proven guilty" I guess Microsoft values aren't American.
LOL.. that's the funniest thing I have read in a little while.

How old are you? 12? You're going to "alert the media" that Microsoft requires you to activate your software again when you re-install? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll get someone's attention

Quit being a baby; it only takes a couple of minutes, and in the end it saves you money because it saves them money (less pirated copies == less lost revenue). It's like crying because you have to put your key in your car's ignition every time... "but I don't want to have to 'activate' it with this key every time... it's mine! stop treating everyone like a criminal!"

You're a funny kid.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Quit being a baby; it only takes a couple of minutes, and in the end it saves you money because it saves them money (less pirated copies == less lost revenue). It's like crying because you have to put your key in your car's ignition every time... "but I don't want to have to 'activate' it with this key every time... it's mine! stop treating everyone like a criminal!"
Well no, it's more like changing the oil in your car and then trying to start it with the key only to be told that your car is not genuine and you have to phone up the manufacturer. That would be pretty annoying.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2007, 08:43 AM

Not going to get any sympathy or suggestions from me…except that she should stop using Windows.

The people gets what operating systems it deserves.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 08:50 AM

Quit being a baby;
I dunno. When you have to ask daddy Billy's permission to install software it only seems appropriate.

it only takes a couple of minutes, and in the end it saves you money because it saves them money (less pirated copies == less lost revenue).
Wow. Mac users are accused of soaking up the RDF. But you've also swallowed the M$ corporate pill whole and without reservation. Be careful not to choke on that DRM!

It's like crying because you have to put your key in your car's ignition every time... "but I don't want to have to 'activate' it with this key every time... it's mine! stop treating everyone like a criminal!"
Except that that doesn't require asking any one else's permission to turn on one's own car. Your analogy fails completely without remedy after only the briefest of analysis.

You're a funny kid.
I think you've had the most laughable things to say here so far.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Wow. Mac users are accused of soaking up the RDF. But you've also swallowed the M$ corporate pill whole and without reservation. Be careful not to choke on that DRM!
I wasn't talking about Windows in general, I was talking about all of the software industry. It takes a lot of time to program and maintain software, and someone has to pay for it. That being said, if you developed the #1 most pirated peice of software on the planet you would probably try to curb the piracy a little bit as well.

Originally Posted by Gamoe;
Except that that doesn't require asking any one else's permission to turn on one's own car. Your analogy fails completely without remedy after only the briefest of analysis.
I agree it was a bad analogy. His crying made my brain turn off.

Originally Posted by Gamoe;
I think you've had the most laughable things to say here so far.
Let me remind you of this then...

"Next time I have to call in I will make a public scene about it and make sure the media is alerted, Get Microsoft some very bad press. I thought America was "Inecent until proven guilty" I guess Microsoft values aren't American. "

Anyway, the rant by the OP is ridiculous. That's all I was saying.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 2, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
It's not that difficult to install Windows XP, I've done it more times than I can count in the last week as I've been readying PCs for sale.

1. Install Windows
2. Run through the set up wizard and create users
3. Install any drivers that are needed
4. Activate XP, if it won't go through, ring them, tell them you had to re-install Windows due to some issue, such as virus infection. Only took about 5 minutes last time i called them.
5. Run Windows Update and install the ~83 updates.
6. Make an image of your fresh clean install
7. Done
You act like this is normal OS installation behavior. It's not. It's ridiculous that MS makes ANYONE go through such nonsense, and wasting PAYING customers time. When this type of thing only hurts those that are honest.
Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Now you are just being a cry baby. What are you, a 14-year-old?
I think he has a valid complaint. Calling him names wont help either of you.

The OP has a VALID point. You shouldn't HAVE to deal with this type of crap with CONSUMER software. Or any consumer product.

This doesn't stop piracy. It just pisses off those that are honest.

Somehow Apple makes it without installing any crap like that in OS X.

I've had people give me this very complaint as the reason they DUMPED Windows.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2007, 12:50 PM

We do not tolerate soliciting help for illegal activities such as "cracking' Windows' activation system.

To the OP: Why didn't you just step back ONE STEP and reinstall the OS cleanly? That would almost certainly have fixed the problem. Instead, you decided to take this as a personal insult and ranted here for help to violate an enforceable contract. Nope, not hapenin' here.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules