Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IDisk strips file creation dates now testing DropBox

IDisk strips file creation dates now testing DropBox
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 09:43 PM

Hello all,

I got excited when iDisk was maxing out my Internet connection, so I moved my files to it and then discovered that file creation date was being stripped, as well as modification date being changed to date of file copy. This put a hault in my usage of iDisk as a central file storage (I am still going to use it, just not for this purpose).

Anyways, How have people found DropBox for storing all their critical personal files, and how is the security of it?

Edit: removed referral
( Last edited by Mac Write; Feb 24, 2010 at 03:45 PM. )
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 12:16 PM

I use it (100GB) and love it. Use TrueCrypt for any files you're concerned about the security/privacy of.

Rather than spamming the forum with your signup link (which I hope you or a a mod will remove soon), why not cough up the $10 to try 50GB for a month?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 03:43 PM

Referral: I am on disability and only have $95/month to cover stuff.

Last night I realized, What I would love DropBox to be, is hidden and it just syncs my home folder with the stuff I want sync'd all in the background without me knowing anything. Is that asking too much?

Have you looked into any of the security it uses out of the box?
--Stephen King

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 05:00 PM

Anything in Dropbox magically appears everywhere the Dropbox is. Currently the files have to be in the Dropbox directory to be synced, but they're going to add support for arbitrary directories soon.

The security model is pretty simple. Only you have access to your Dropbox with 2 exceptions: everything in the Public folder is readable by the world and anything in a shared folder is readable/writeable by those you share it with.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 12:58 AM

I know everything is sync'd in the dropbox folder. Now if I could designate my home folder as dropbox folder, and use the upcoming selective sync to not sync my iTunes folder, AVCHD videos, Aperture Library etc, that would be very sweet and under 50GB. Now if only I could set my home folder as my Dropbox………
--Stephen King

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2010, 06:01 PM

Part of the upcoming selective sync feature is to be able to designate any folder as your Dropbox folder.

But since you're going to exclude a bunch of folders anyway, why not just put the folders you want (desktop, documents) in the Dropbox and create an alias in the old location for programs that have the path hard coded?

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 08:37 PM

I have already done symbolic links.
--Stephen King

ooninay
Feb 27, 2010, 02:07 AM

Dropbox is easily the simplest and most reliable syncing program I've used so far, and I've used at least half a dozen of them. I was originally hung up on having to put file I wanted synced into a different folder but someone (here?) suggested doing the alias thing and that's working out just fine. Compared to the BS I went through with so many other syncing solutions, that's trivial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules