Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Well this is embarrassing... Time Machine backup stuck on a file?

Well this is embarrassing... Time Machine backup stuck on a file?
Ham Sandwich
Oct 23, 2015, 10:06 PM

Greetings again.
Well this is embarrassing... I have 50 GB left on my Time Machine backup disc, and I'm just trying to backup 4 GB of data using the usual plug-it-in-and-go Time Machine procedure.

The process gets stuck on some file somewhere, I have no idea what, it says Backing up: something like 1 GB out of 5 GB or so.

I canceled that backup, ejected the drive, disconnected it, plugged in both USB cables this time (one extra for power), and tried the backup again, and it gets stuck at 17 KB.

I've seen other people get around this somehow but a few times per year this happens to me and I have in the passed just wiped the disc clean and started over because it just sits there for hours.

What's going on? How do I force the backup disc to keep backing up?

Edit: Well......... it appeared to just fix itself a day later. I did run Disk Utility to verify the disk, and it repaired something. I'm not sure if that fixed it or just waiting longer did the trick. Whatever.

But for future reference, what's the troubleshooting process?
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Oct 24, 2015 at 08:27 PM. )

P
Oct 25, 2015, 05:05 AM

Reading the console log, but Disk Utility is a very good first troubleshooting step.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules