Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMacs Released/ 1.25 ghz G4

New iMacs Released/ 1.25 ghz G4 (Page 2)
ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:30 PM

Ok...it's time. I have an "old" iMac DV SE 400. My wife (I'm lucky also) agreed to an upgrade but I'm a bit confused on if I should get the blown out iMac (with Bluetooth, airport extreme, etc.) or just upgrade the HD on the stock 17" model (I know I want a 17" with Superdrive). Also, for those in the know...is the ram upgrade worth it through Apple or should I go low and upgrade the ram from a third party company after I purchase?
Thanks for your opinions.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 10:35 PM

I wouldn't get the ram from Apple unless you want the full 1 gig and then I'd just up to the 1x512. Go to www.crucial.com and get the ram you need there. I would probably order the larger HD too. I know 80 gigs sounds like a lot but it fills up quick and the price can't be beat.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2003, 08:20 PM

Well, I'm not quite as lucky as I thought...we ended up ordering a 15 incher instead. Save a few bucks. Not sure I really needed a superdrive anyway. Should be here by Friday....
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

KB6KGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by GeoMac:
The FX5200 is no upgrade from the GF4 mx.
If this is true, why did they change the card from what it was before?

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by greenG4:
Well, I'm not quite as lucky as I thought...we ended up ordering a 15 incher instead. Save a few bucks. Not sure I really needed a superdrive anyway. Should be here by Friday....
Well let us know what you think when it arrives. If possible give us some picts!

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
Well let us know what you think when it arrives. If possible give us some picts!
I'm sure we'll love it. I'll post some pics too. I just called Airborn Express and it will cerainly be here tomorrow. Then I can change my sig.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

ledmirage
Sep 25, 2003, 11:04 PM

My mother just ordered an iMac 17" 1.25GHz model with my help about an hour ago. She is upgrading from Lime G3 333MHz. Very excited about it, but I'm a bit upset that my brandnew PowerBook G4 12" 867MHz is far surpassed by her new iMac specs.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by ledmirage:
My mother just ordered an iMac 17" 1.25GHz model with my help about an hour ago. She is upgrading from Lime G3 333MHz. Very excited about it, but I'm a bit upset that my brandnew PowerBook G4 12" 867MHz is far surpassed by her new iMac specs.
I feel your pain. Mine's only 1GHz if it makes you feel any better. You'll just have to get one of those G5 powerbooks coming out "soon".
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
I wouldn't get the ram from Apple unless you want the full 1 gig and then I'd just up to the 1x512. Go to www.crucial.com and get the ram you need there. I would probably order the larger HD too. I know 80 gigs sounds like a lot but it fills up quick and the price can't be beat.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Well...I did it! Ordered the 17" iMac yesterday from the Apple Store (federal employee discount and was surprised that there was an additional $75.00 discount promotion with this purchase plan just for the iMacs - not complaining). I went with the stock 256 MB ram and have already ordered an additional single 512 MB SODIMM for the "user installable" slot. Also went with the 160 HD and put in an airport extreme card. I decided against the bluetooth addition for now - maybe in the future. I figure I can swap out the ram in the "Apple factory install slot" at a later date - from what I understand it isn't that big a deal to swap out the factory ram. I've cracked many Mac cases over the years - but if it is harder than I thought, there is an Apple store here in Houston.

Thanks for the advise - let you know when it gets here.

Ken

P.S. iMac DV SE 400 graphite going up on eBay ASAP.
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

ledmirage
Sep 30, 2003, 03:09 AM

I just finished setting up my mother's brand new 17" iMac. It's so nice. I'm so jealous... My PowerBook G4 12" seems so tiny and slow in comparison. (not to mention the fact that I now have to buy a fugly USB Bluetooth adopter in order to use the Wireless Mouse I just got for my PB. )

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 07:39 PM

I got my 15" on Friday, and I just now am getting it set up. I love it. I wasn't too sure about going from a 19"CRT to a 15" LCD, but the difference does not seem to great. So far, nothing but wonderful things. I love it. I post pics later.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

leavestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by Paul Stephen C.:
1.25Ghz?

- we wanna scroll!
Sorry Don't Agree on that one!

Used a lot of mouses over the years and when
i switched to apple a had my doubts.

Being used to a muliple button and klickable
scroll mouse and having already some RSI
problems.

But Now the only pointing divice i would like
to use except the wonderfull apple "soapy"
mous would probably be an intues tablet or
preferable on Apple would come up with hehe.

Greetz and no offences

leavestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 06:19 AM

Not sure I really needed a superdrive anyway.....
To make you feel a little better

I bought mine 15" superdrive in februari 2002
then � 2650 oeps! I realy loved the design and
it was my first Apple.

And yesterday I burned my first DVD hehe

So unles you are planing to put your home video
on disc I suppose you can do without and
otherwise there still the VCD option.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 07:45 PM

Apparently, I lack the required intelligence to post a pic in the forum. Anyone care to enlighten me? I'd like to share a pic of my new iMac.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2003, 03:45 AM

Apparently, I lack the required intelligence to post a pic in the forum. Anyone care to enlighten me? I'd like to share a pic of my new iMac.
Is the pic on your computer at home or is it on a server somewhere on the net?

Once it's on a machine that's connected to the internet, all you have to do is use the image tags.

On the edit page there is a button "Image" that will let you paste the full URL of the picture into the correct img statement.
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 3, 2003 at 03:59 AM. )

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2003, 02:55 PM

Ok, let's see if I can get this to work. I set up personal web sharing to get the pic up.

A bit cluttered, I know. I'm loving this machine though.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules