Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express w/ Third Party WAP?

Airport Express w/ Third Party WAP?
purplemaji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 09:29 AM

I have a WAP w/ built in switch upstairs in my office. It is a LinkSys 802.11g. My PowerMac plugs into it, and my PC laptop connects wirelessly.

I have a home theatre PC which is downstairs. I would like to connect it to the network. It does not have a wireless card, and an ethernet port is not available.

I am considering getting the Airport Express, and placing it behind my entertainment system, with the intent of plugging the home theatre PC into the ethernet port, and my stereo into the stereo port, so that hopefully the pc could connect to the network, and the stereo to iTunes running on the Mac upstairs.

The only computer in the place with a wireless card is the laptop.

Can the airport express accomplish what I suggest? When I read that it offered bridge functionality, I thought it could (I had initially intended on buying a LinkSys bridge). Now, with some of the third party compatibility comments, I'm not so sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-PM

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 04:51 PM

Streaming audio in this setup will most certainly work.

For the Airport Extreme ethernet port to act as a bridged LAN port, the Airport Express must be in WDS (wireless distribution system) mode, and this is only supported when the Express is connected to an Airport Extreme base station or another Airport Express. WDS (range-extending) will not work with a 3rd-party access point

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 09:15 PM

Although Apple does not officially support third party access points for use with airport express, there are access points that will work with Apple's WDS. An example is the products from Buffalo. They even have the FAQ for it.

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Streaming audio in this setup will most certainly work.

For the Airport Extreme ethernet port to act as a bridged LAN port, the Airport Express must be in WDS (wireless distribution system) mode, and this is only supported when the Express is connected to an Airport Extreme base station or another Airport Express. WDS (range-extending) will not work with a 3rd-party access point
I don't think that is correct:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 08:54 AM

Let me clarify then. Apple doesn't support WDS with non-Apple base stations. That said, the Buffalo people did get it to work, as well as those who put a hacked-together firmware on their Linksys. But 99% of the access points out there won't work for WDS out of the box.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 02:09 PM

That is effingham QUALITY news! I have a Linksys WRT54G with Sveasoft firmware and was hoping this setup would work. now I will definitely be getting an Express.

pdub99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2004, 09:23 AM

I had no problem bridging my wireless network (microsoft 802.11g base station) with the APE, including WEP

Forum Links
Forum Rules