Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac owners with BlueTooth cell phones

Mac owners with BlueTooth cell phones (Page 2)
josh03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by mbryda:
[B]You got screwed. I picked up my Cingular T637 from a Cingular corporate store. Synched with my computer and I get 3 directories in the BT File transfer - Pictures, Audio, and Applications. Pop pics in Pictures, Ringtones in Audio, and Apps in Applications. Works great.

[b]

Hold down the arrow key - after about 1 sec it takes you back to the main menu. Press it once and it takes you back.

[b]
Agreed. But I didn't care about the camera.

[b]
Again, mine is unlocked and can even take another carrier's SIM - tried my old ATTWS Sim in it and it worked fine.
Transferring apps, tones, etc works flawlessly over BT as well.

I had a T637 on ATTWS and when we migrated to Cingular, I could choose any phone. I got another T637 as it works great and I can do all the things you mentioned - transfer tones, apps, etc. without issue.

Maybe you should have your phone looked at?

Can you just send regular music to the audio file or does it have to be in some special format, how do you do it? What apps can you put on it? can you make the pectures you put on it from iPhoto the wallpaper? any other helpful tips?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by josh03:
Can you just send regular music to the audio file or does it have to be in some special format, how do you do it? What apps can you put on it? can you make the pectures you put on it from iPhoto the wallpaper? any other helpful tips?
you can make random photos wallpaper. i haven't tried it with pictures that don't fit the screen's aspect ratio. ring tones must be .mid (midi) files. wavs or mp3s will not work, sadly. i hope that someone corrects me, but my phone wouldn't accept wavs when i tried to transfer them over.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2005, 02:23 AM

My 6630 works fine with aac tracks as ring tones. Added Tool's Schism as my main signal. Great camera, memory, everything. Just need Tiger for mlsync now.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

josh03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 12:23 AM

how durable is the SE T637, last thing I want to do is spend two hundred bucks on this thing and have the joystick break off. I have an LG G4050 now and it sucks! the antenna broke off and cingular won't even fix it!

how is the warranty and stuff, do any of you have any complaints that deal with the physical feel of the phone? Being so small it seems like it would break easy is that the case?

Michaelbetzel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 11:48 AM

I have a t637 with a 12 inch PB. works wonders. I use two programs, Salling Clicker and Blue Phone Elite.

Salling clicker allows me to use my phone as a remote to control ITunes, quicktime, VLC, keynote. It also pauses any media app for me while I'm on the phone or if Iw alk away. Also puts me in away with iChat if i leave the room, and back in available if I come back.

Blue Phone Elite is great!!! Caller ID pops up on my computer screen and gives me the option to ignore or answer (cant talk through my computer) Also allows me to seend sms and recieve sms from my computer. This works reallyw ell when I am in class taking notes and I get a call. I ignore the call and text them telling them what time I get out of class. all while my teachers have no idea!!!!

Michaelbetzel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 11:49 AM

how durable is the SE T637, last thing I want to do is spend two hundred bucks on this thing and have the joystick break off. I have an LG G4050 now and it sucks! the antenna broke off and cingular won't even fix it!

how is the warranty and stuff, do any of you have any complaints that deal with the physical feel of the phone? Being so small it seems like it would break easy is that the case?
Just dropped it for about the tenth time, no damage at all, the joystick isnt gonna break off

josh03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2005, 06:59 PM

good to know thanks a lot, I dropped my LG and now its way messed up!

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 09:26 PM

For bluetooth Sony-ericsson is the way to go. In the eartlier days they were the only ones that had secure blutooth. Nokia was inreliable.

I've been using bluetooth with osX now for 3 years almost & have had a great time wiht the osny ericsson phones.

On my last upgrade I chose a so called smartphone (Orange SPV500 - although it's a rebranded HTC & a lot of networks now have it, some wiht different cases). This phone has a 190mhz cpu, 64mn system memory (I think) + 256 miniSD installed by me. I can play nintendo games on it, record video, play video - do loads of things

sounds great but it isn't. It's a Windows phone, it doesn't sync with with Mac OSx, it crashes, it's not intuetive, you can't set the calendar to repeat events at odd intervals - like every 8 days. Bluetooth doesn't work without a firmware update or a shareware app. OH & you need to be running windows to install 50% of the apps on it.

Next time my contract is coming up for renewal I'll be going back to sony-ericsson
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 09:28 PM

Oh & incase anyone hasn't mentioned it already, Romeo is a must have app if you have a bluetooth phone.

It lets you control your mac with your phone to navigate iTunes, powerpoint displays etc ewtc
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2005, 09:31 AM

Another vote for the 637. I've had mine for months now and it's great. Durable, wonderful RF, excellent screen, nice size, and works perfectly with my iBook with bluetooth.

The 637 (630 from some phone companies) is an updated version of the 610/616. Get the 63x instead of the 61x if you can just for the better screen and better RF. The only 3 real differences are the improved reception, the improved screen, and the shift from metal to plastic.

mbryda
Senior User
Jan 13, 2005, 10:32 AM

[B]how durable is the SE T637, last thing I want to do is spend two hundred bucks on this thing and have the joystick break off. I have an LG G4050 now and it sucks! the antenna broke off and cingular won't even fix it! /B]
Very durable. Let's just say I put my phones through hell and back. I drop 'em, throw 'em around, leave them in the car overnight in the cold, etc. My T637 has not missed a beat!

josh03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2005, 09:59 PM

I am now a proud owner of an se t637, how do you access the three folders? (to send pics, music, and other stuff?)

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2005, 11:48 PM

If it's like other S/E phones, the easiest thing to do (after you pair it to your Mac) is to click the Bluetooth Menu Item and then Browse Device to see the folders on the T637.

josh03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 11:33 AM

okay I found them, thank you.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 08:25 PM

For anyone using the T637 with Address Book, do your contacts pictures come over to the T637 and show up when they call? Like in this example? (A picture would be great)

Picture
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by slffl:
For anyone using the T637 with Address Book, do your contacts pictures come over to the T637 and show up when they call? Like in this example? (A picture would be great)

Picture
no, pictures do not sync. my nokia 3650 did sync pics and use them appropriately (albeit not full screen as in the t630 screenshot).

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2005, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Yeah, but I'm extremely wary of anything cellular with a motorola logo on it.

I'm trying to get the Salling guys to write an adaptation to Salling Clicker for the S65/66 (Bluetooth integration/remote control was the ONLY factor that made me consider the K700i, which I really just don't like for a number of reasons). Apparently it's a little tougher to write a Siemens plug-in, but I'll keep pestering them. (support - [at] - salling.com)

The S65's software problems have been worked out - the phone has been rock-solid for me (FW 25) - and the 1.23-megapixel camera, though very noisy in low light, is really quite alright for a device that's primarily a kick-ass organizer and telephone: http://homepage.mac.com/spheric/Alex+iMac.jpg

The only drawbacks so far:
1. iSync currently messes up special characters (����) and doesn't sync street addresses, so syncing is one-way only for now (I reset the phone every time I sync with the 'puter). This was no problem with the S55, so I'm sure it will be fixed once the S65 is officially supported by an iSync update (Macworld January?).

2. Bluetooth transfer speed is only around 6KB/sec. This may be phone-firmware-related, but for data transfer (the images can be up to several hundred KB), faster would be nice (the SE K700i and the Nokia 6230 are up around 15KB/sec).

3. No support for Bluetooth HID (i.e. remote-control). But again, I'm pestering Jonas Salling for a solution. *crosses fingers*

Search the forums for several raves I've made on the S65. It is a really really cool phone.
Battery life is roughly equivalent to or better than the k700i, btw. (Also, the k700i address book seems plagued with some rather annoying and potentially dangerous bugs, such as shuffling around/duplicating phone numbers.)

Also, I really dig the '70s retro-futuristic Star Wars design. Looks like something Vader would have lying around somewhere.

Cheers,

-s*

p.s.: I got it for free with my contract renewal, so figure that prices *will* come down in the US in a couple of months.
I just ordered a S66 tonight from Cingular (after 12 years of Verizon, I've had enough of their ********), So I'll be joining you in pestering Salling.
Nemo me impune lacesset

jacksatta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 04:06 AM

Are people getting the k700i unlocked for Cingular somewhere? Any risks for blue customers?

leavestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 12:15 PM

Got a iMate Jam aka Here's the list of aka's

# Qtek S100
# i-mate JAM
# T-Mobile MDA Compact
# O2 XDA II Mini
# Dopod 818

Syncing works with iTunes and photo's i didn't set up because picture are only 1.3 meg and low quality

Got still some problems see post above here:
- Still I can't connect to the internet when connected to my iMac trough USB
- and also not through Bluetooth.
- And still I cant get avantgo running
- My reoccurring events are also still copying themselves on every sync
- Also I still can't sync my notes.

So if some can help or has the same divece running with pocketmac

Please give me a hand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules