Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 'Running out of Space' message anomaly

iPhone 'Running out of Space' message anomaly
gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2007, 07:13 PM

The last couple of days I started getting the "Running of of disc space, please delete some music or movies" message periodically. The weird thing is that iTunes says I still have 2.83 GB of free space. What gives? Anyone else run into this?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2007, 09:02 PM

That would be lame if OS X on the iPhone is as space sensitive as Mac OS X.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 15, 2007, 09:12 PM

Nope, and I have only 500 MB of free space.

Do you have any 3rd party apps installed? If you do, try removing a few and see if the problem persists. I read somewhere in the forums that the iPhone's media memory and OS/Apps memory are two separate banks, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Nope, and I have only 500 MB of free space.

Do you have any 3rd party apps installed? If you do, try removing a few and see if the problem persists. I read somewhere in the forums that the iPhone's media memory and OS/Apps memory are two separate banks, but it couldn't hurt to give it a try.
Hmmm... interesting. I do have 20+ 3rd party apps installed along with quite a number of Summerboard themes. Maybe I'll try removing some of the themes I don't use first.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2007, 01:52 AM

Try one of these.. how to get around the space limit iphone - Google Search

Basically, it creates a shortcut to the applications folder which you first need to move to a different "partition" on the iphone

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2007, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Try one of these.. how to get around the space limit iphone - Google Search

Basically, it creates a shortcut to the applications folder which you first need to move to a different "partition" on the iphone
Thanks for that. I've done a bit of poking around on the subject and the reviews seem to be pretty mixed on whether or not doing this will end up bricking the iPhone so, being a novice at under-the-hood OS operations like this, I'm a bit hesitant to try it.

Has anyone here pulled this off successfully using 1.1.1?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2007, 04:55 AM

There are two partitions on the iPhone -- a 300 MB system partition that is normally read-only, and a ~7.5 GB writable partition for your music/movies/whatever.

On a 1.1.1/1.1.2 iPhone you have something like 40 MB of free space on the root partition, and that fills up quickly if you're installing 3rd-party stuff.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Thanks for that. I've done a bit of poking around on the subject and the reviews seem to be pretty mixed on whether or not doing this will end up bricking the iPhone so, being a novice at under-the-hood OS operations like this, I'm a bit hesitant to try it.

Has anyone here pulled this off successfully using 1.1.1?
I've done this one my 1.0.2, now upgraded to 1.1.1 and its been working fine.
All it does is create a shortcut that points to the applications folder on a different "partition", so nothing ought to go wrong really.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
I've done this one my 1.0.2, now upgraded to 1.1.1 and its been working fine.
All it does is create a shortcut that points to the applications folder on a different "partition", so nothing ought to go wrong really.
Ya, I had just read several people stating that it created issues for them, but maybe they were just that much more inexperienced then I am and as a result did something wrong. I moved the Applications folder, created the symlink and then rebooted. Everything seems to be working just fine.

For future reference for anybody else, here is what I did.

1. (ssh into iPhone)
2. cd /
3. mv /Applications /private/var/Applications
4. ln -s /private/var/Applications /Applications
5. (reboot the iPhone)

I'll report back if any issues crop up as a result, but I don't expect there will be. I've tried installing a new app since making the changes and neither Installer.app or the OS seem to have any problems recognizing the symlink. Very cool.

Forum Links
Forum Rules