Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > App for CPU Usage History?

App for CPU Usage History?
gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 12:46 AM

Does anyone know of an application or widget that has the ability to display full CPU usage history? I keep getting periodic massive CPU spikes that lock up my entire computer, to the point where I can't open Acivity monitor or iStat so see what's going on. By the time the lock-up passes, I see a CPU spike in the past, but have no way of telling what process caused it.

Another possibility might be that there's a log file somewhere that keeps track of this, but I can't find it. If anyone knows something about that option, let me know as well.

Thanks!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2011, 01:12 AM

How do you know that the problem isn't a CPU spike and not an I/O spike? I/O spikes are often caused by having to use virtual memory, whereas CPU spikes usually do not result in lock ups.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How do you know that the problem isn't a CPU spike and not an I/O spike? I/O spikes are often caused by having to use virtual memory, whereas CPU spikes usually do not result in lock ups.
I don't, but maxed CPU has accompanied these lock-ups every time I've had a CPU usage meter up and running while it's happened, and haven't noticed my memory usage meter even close to maxed out during one of these periods, so I thought I should start there first.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2011, 01:35 AM

I'll stop talking about my lock-up issues in this thread, talking about them here instead.

I'd still like to know if anyone knows of an app that will do what I'm looking for, though, if only for future reference.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2011, 01:37 AM

Are you getting page outs appearing in your top/Activity Monitor display?

A CPU spike will cause a slow down, but AFAIK it should never cause a complete lockup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules