Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Prototype 2

Prototype 2
gradient
Mac Elite
May 18, 2012, 07:43 PM

Anybody playing it? I've levelled up to 6 now and am having a good time. They've certainly simplified many aspects of the game compared to the first incarnation but overall it's a very solid outing so far. Somehow it doesn't have my adrenaline pumping like the first game did, though; it feels...I dunno....tamer than the original. Hopefully that changes once I unlock more powers and devastors, though, and get to wreak some SERIOUS havoc!

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 19, 2012, 10:43 PM

How does he gain and upgrade his abilities?

Let me know if it gets better. I see Walmart has it and you get the original Prototype.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2012, 06:14 PM

A couple of extra days in (up to level 12), having cleared the first two of three zones, I'm fully engrossed in this now.

Heller gains his abilities over the course of the game primarily by completing sets of side missions, some of which enhance the story arch of the game, others are just fetch missions, while the rest are pretty entertaining little mini-games. When a set is completed (usually 3-5 side missions within a set), a new mutation is unlocked.

On top of adding mutations, XP accumulated over the course of the game affects your character's level and each level-up unlocks your choice of a perk in one of five categories.

It's a pretty good system. It probably makes side missions and mini-games more essential to the primary campaign then any other game I can remember playing. The side missions can get a bit repetitive (mostly of the "go over there and kill that group of people"), but the gameplay is entertaining enough that I barely notice.

After completing about 2/3 of the game, my opinion has definitely changed a bit. What felt simplistic at the beginning now feels well calculated. The cut-scenes that seemed disruptive (there are a lot more of them here than in the first game) now have me sucked into their storyline. There's no doubt, too, that the control and combat mechanics are much improved compared to the first game. All in all, I'd give it a solid 7/10, well worth if, especially if you can find a used copy or a new copy on sale.

My only major complaint is this:

Edit: A good portion of the side missions that garner new mutations are collectable hunting, too. Forgot that when I posted, somehow.

Also, regarding my major complaint:

( Last edited by gradient; May 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM. )

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 23, 2012, 11:25 AM

I might buy it. I'm finishing up ME3 right now, so I have some time.
MacBook Pro

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2012, 07:50 PM

The last couple days, I keep walking through downtown and thinking "man, I wish I could run straight up the side of that office tower right now". This is addictive s**t.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 25, 2012, 02:23 PM

I decided to pick it up. I picked up at Gamestop in the mall close to work, as the mall was giving out $5 gift certificates, so I got $5 off.

From what you said, it sounds like a good game. I probably will start it next week, unless I find time on the weekend.

I didn't read the spoilers above so no spoilers, until after I start it...
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 29, 2012, 10:14 PM

Started playing this today, and I have to agree, it's going to be an addictive game.

I see what you mean about running up buildings... Man are the controls good on this game...
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2012, 08:39 PM

Gradient, you must be almost finished. I just finished the Yellow Zone (I'll have to go back to find the Lair), and just started the Green Zone.

Now that I have some upgrades and the shields, I'm surviving better. I just got the bulletproof to small arms which should help a bit.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I'm finishing up ME3 right now, so I have some time.
You're still finishing up ME3? Halo Reach still taking the majority of your time?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
You're still finishing up ME3? Halo Reach still taking the majority of your time?
I finished ME3 last week. Haven't touched Halo Reach in months...

Mostly playing Prtotype 2 these days with the occasional jump into MW3.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2012, 11:42 PM

Prototype 2 is a short game! I just finished it on normal After 2 weeks. Now I'm doing a run thru on HARD to see if I can get the last 2 achievements.

It was fun though... Just short.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2012, 12:12 AM

Got the last 2 achievements! As Gradient says you become rather god-like once you get the hammerfist and whipfist!

MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules